Author Topic: Gestalt Soulknife, looking for advice.  (Read 3250 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Gestalt Soulknife, looking for advice.
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:32:37 PM »
I'm writing up a character for a gestalt Weapons of Legacy game and I decided to play a Soulknife (Mau-Jehe is my chosen WoL).  Yes, I'm quite aware of how bad the class is and I'm also aware of the "mind-blade" PsyWar feature.  I'm running a Soulknife for one side.

The game has some important houserules for character building.  Unearthed Arcana (variant races, classes, traits, and bloodlines are good to go, flaws are not), Core, PHB2, DMG2, SRD, Completes, MIC, and Spell Compendium are the allowed sources.  I don't believe the generic classes are open, but I will ask.  I get 2 randomly determined traits, though I'm not sure if I have to take them or not.  Legacy Champion has been houseruled to advance original class features at every level.  It also MUST be levels 10-20 on one side of the gestalt (although counts as a base class, so PrC's on the other side are fine).  Any multiclassing (PrC or base) must have at least 5 levels or the entire PrC, whichever is less.  Up to 4 classes total, not including Legacy Champion.  Maximum LA of +1, which applies to one side of the gestalt.  We start at level 4, halfway to level 5.  Wealth by level is standard, but WoL does not count against it.  Finally, it's a 39 point buy (wierd, I know).

Now, the image I had for the character is a devil-may-care attitude (think Dante from Devil May Cry for an idea of the personality).  He's good at getting out of things or pissing people off (usually both at the same time).  I'll have Tumble as an important skill, and likely ranks in Escape Artist as well.

Now, here comes the difficulty: deciding what to take on the other side of the gestalt.  My first thoughts were Ranger (full BAB, good Fort save, better skills, and also fulfills the missing "outdoorsy type" that one of the players requested) and Swashbuckler (free weapon Finesse, an ability to focus on Int and thus better skills, full BAB and good Fort).  If it were available, I would go Factotum without another thought.  Are there any other suggestions?

The players already in have a Fighter4//Sorcerer3/Bloodline 1 with Crimson Ruination and a Rogue 4//Warlock 4 with Ghostfolly's Gloves.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Gestalt Soulknife, looking for advice.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:42:42 PM »
Take soulbow and legacy champion at all costs, if its ruled to +1 at every level there isnt many reasons not to.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:59:37 PM »
Take soulbow and legacy champion at all costs, if its ruled to +1 at every level there isnt many reasons not to.

And put Incarnate on the other side so you can dual-wield your Mind Blade with a sword made of souls. And not suck during combat.

Edit: Chaotic Neutral, and take the Mind's Eye variant that swaps your crappy Psychic Strike for bonus feats.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:02:21 AM »
As mentioned in the OP, I don't have a choice about taking Legacy Champion.  Starting at level 10, that will be on one side of the gestalt.

Incarnum isn't on the allowed sources (which are also in the OP).  Otherwise, I'd use Incarnate or Totemist (assuming Factotum was still unavailable).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 12:10:17 AM »
As mentioned in the OP, I don't have a choice about taking Legacy Champion.  Starting at level 10, that will be on one side of the gestalt.

Incarnum isn't on the allowed sources (which are also in the OP).  Otherwise, I'd use Incarnate or Totemist (assuming Factotum was still unavailable).

Damn! PsiWar then. Make yourself awesome. Alternatively, Duskblade and be generally useful.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 09:27:30 PM »
Okay, DM allowed Incarnum so long as it's only on one side of the gestalt (which really is the optimal choice anyway).

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 05:13:12 AM »
Might as well see if you can pick up Kensai and apply that to your mind blade. With Legacy Champion you'll be rocking a +20 something weapon by the end.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 11:46:46 AM »
The current build I'm looking at is Soulknife 10/Legacy Champion 10//Incarnate 6/Soulbow 10/Incarnate 4 (total 10).  I would try to work some levels of Kensai in, but the Lawful requirement stomps that (I would have to have a different character).  This will give me a +7 Mind Blade/Mind Arrow at 20th level, meldshaping of 10th level of incarnate, and full Soulknife...features?

But, because I can use Mau-Jehe as my Mind Blade, the weapon is already better.  The weapon at 20th would be a +7 keen ghost touch weapon with another +4 bonus I can add in however I choose (equivalent of a +13 weapon) that I can also use a weapon crystal on.  The extra abilities are handy too.  I may swap some of the Legacy Champion levels to advancing Incarnate, but I'm not certian.

Other than Sighting Gloves, are there any reccommendations on Soulmelds?  What about feats (not including the archery feats)?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:50:21 AM by snakeman830 »

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 12:45:44 PM »
If you can get into Soulbow quickly, can you get it advanced by LC?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 01:29:12 PM »
If you can get into Soulbow quickly, can you get it advanced by LC?
There are no early entry tricks for Soulbow: you need at least 2 levels in Soulknife and 8 ranks in a skill (which, admittedly, at least they picked a good skill) and a feat that any archer grabs anyway.  I probably could get it advanced by LC, but I figure it would probably already get me all the archery feats I want and the Mind Arrow enhancements come too slowly to make it worthwhile.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »
The current build I'm looking at is Soulknife 10/Legacy Champion 10//Incarnate 6/Soulbow 10/Incarnate 4 (total 10).  I would try to work some levels of Kensai in, but the Lawful requirement stomps that (I would have to have a different character).  This will give me a +7 Mind Blade/Mind Arrow at 20th level, meldshaping of 10th level of incarnate, and full Soulknife...features?

But, because I can use Mau-Jehe as my Mind Blade, the weapon is already better.  The weapon at 20th would be a +7 keen ghost touch weapon with another +4 bonus I can add in however I choose (equivalent of a +13 weapon) that I can also use a weapon crystal on.  The extra abilities are handy too.  I may swap some of the Legacy Champion levels to advancing Incarnate, but I'm not certian.

Other than Sighting Gloves, are there any reccommendations on Soulmelds?  What about feats (not including the archery feats)?
Unless I'm missing something from the OP, you can't progress 2 PrCs simultaneously. Is there any way to go Monk 1/Soulknife 4/Soulbow 5/Legacy Champion 10//Totemist 2/Incarnate 18, or somesuch? Maybe replace two of those Soulknife levels with Fighter for the feats?

Also, check Google. Astral Vambraces are awesome.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:52:15 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 05:50:43 PM »
If you read the OP, you would know why my proposed build is legal and also why I cannot do as you suggest.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 05:59:37 PM »
Ah. I'd read it the other day, but I've slept since then.

Does your version of Legacy Champion advance ALL class features, or just a single class feature? Because adding in psychic weapon master would be a great way to improve your weapon as well as give you access to some manifesting on the side. Just make sure your WoL is made of crystal, and there you are.

Ardent 2/Soulknife 2/Ardent 1 (with Practiced Manifester)/Psychic Weapon Master 10/Ardent 5//Incarnate 10/Legacy Champion 10 would be interesting.

I'm sure we could add in some Soulbow in there somewhere...

[edit] Maybe doing Incarnate 10/Legacy Champion 10//Ardent 2/Soulknife 2/Ardent 1/Soulbow 1/Psychic Weapon Master 9, with Legacy Champion advancing Soulbow?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:07:20 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 06:10:17 PM »
LC only advances one class, as normal.

Again, I cannot do your proposed build.  I need to have at least 5 levels or all levels (whichever is less) in any class or Prestige class.

That, and getting all of the PWM prerequisites would be nigh impossible that quickly.

Are there any reccomendations for feats?  I had to roll for traits and got Absent Minded and Skinny, which makes me think Knowlege Devotion may be worthwhile.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 07:26:04 PM »
For an archer, Sense Weakness (Draconomicon) can be very nice. 
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self