Author Topic: Eldritch Disciple/Hellfire Ur-lock Eldritch Blast Debunked!  (Read 4594 times)

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unseelie Fae
    • Email
Eldritch Disciple/Hellfire Ur-lock Eldritch Blast Debunked!
« on: January 19, 2010, 06:56:56 AM »
So one build shown to me here was that of an Ur-Priest/Hellfire Warlock Eldritch Disciple.

The logic went that since Eldritch Disciple advances your invocation caster level for invocations and eldritch blast damage, that one could continue to obtain +2d6 in Hellfire Blast damage per level.  When I asked wheter the class would actually continue past the 5th and final level in the Fiendish Codex, the response I received was that it would be up to the DM, and that there wasn't a rule that specifically forbade it.

Tonight however, I came upon this sentance from the DMG, page 206: "You cannot advance the class level of a class with fewer than 10 levels beyond the maximum described for that class, regardless of the character level of the advancing character."

Oh well...

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
Re: Eldritch Disciple/Hellfire Ur-lock Eldritch Blast Debunked!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:47:58 AM »
Unfortunately that doesn't apply for two reasons:

a) I think there are epic progressions for classes with fewer than 10 levels.
b.1) You don't advance the class level of the class in question; you advance the caster level.
b.2) You are a fighter and enter a prestige class that gives spells and is 5 levels long. You take practiced spellcaster in that class. Now your caster level = 5. Your class level in the 5-level prestige class, 1. Thus, caster level can be higher than your class level in the prestige. At least with this way.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 11:35:07 AM by Dictum Mortuum »
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 08:22:12 AM »
I think there are epic progressions for classes with fewer than 10 levels.

Well, it seems the OP has directly debunked that with a quote. Your words aren't quite moving.

re: point 2: Oh, yeah. Now that you mention it, it sounds familiar.
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 03:59:53 PM »

b.1) You don't advance the class level of the class in question; you advance the caster level.
b.2) You are a fighter and enter a prestige class that gives spells and is 5 levels long. You take practiced spellcaster in that class. Now your caster level = 5. Your class level in the 5-level prestige class, 1. Thus, caster level can be higher than your class level in the prestige. At least with this way.
This is completely mostly wrong.

The OP is completely probably correct.
a) there are NO epic progressions for PrCs with less than 10 levels (and maybe none for more)
b) 1. That is specific to the hellfire+eldritch disciple stacking which I don't care about.
    2. Advancing casting progression (or CL) and advancing class level are extremely different things.

Why does this matter? See my Illithid Savant Boostrapping thread.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 04:49:48 PM »

This is completely mostly wrong.

The OP is completely probably correct.
a) there are NO epic progressions for PrCs with less than 10 levels (and maybe none for more)
b) 1. That is specific to the hellfire+eldritch disciple stacking which I don't care about.
    2. Advancing casting progression (or CL) and advancing class level are extremely different things.

Why does this matter? See my Illithid Savant Boostrapping thread.

I don't know about a), i think i've seen the dungeonscape's trapsmith epic progression somewhere, but i'm not sure.
b1) Not it is not. It is about eldritch disciple-and-million-other-prestige-classes-specific. I don't care about hellfire warlock and i wasn't trying to defend the hellfire blast argument. I just wanted to point out that this quote debunks nothing, since you can have caster level higher than your class level. The ruling says you cannot advance *class* level, not *caster* level. And from what i remember hellfire blast deals damage according to *caster* level and thus is DM's area.
b2) Exactly what i was trying to say.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 05:09:21 PM »
DMG came out long before any of the classes that advance class progressions as thought you were taking additional levels in that class, too. There's room to argue both ways.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 06:00:53 PM »
DMG came out long before any of the classes that advance class progressions as thought you were taking additional levels in that class, too. There's room to argue both ways.

You mean like legacy champion? I always thought using him to advance prestige classes beyond their normal maximum was cheesy.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 06:19:42 PM »

You mean like legacy champion? I always thought using him to advance prestige classes beyond their normal maximum was cheesy.
Or Uncanny Trickster.

OR possibly bloodlines.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 06:26:55 PM »

Or Uncanny Trickster.

OR possibly bloodlines.
Or d) all of the above. ;)
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 09:08:14 PM »
Neither of these advance Hellfire Blast damage, though, anyway. Bloodlines and suchlike DO work, because they advance effective class level, which if you read the Hellfire Blast ability is what the bonus damage is keyed off of (2d6 per class level).
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Dark_Juggernaut

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 01:57:18 PM »
In Complete Arcane a Warlock's Eldritch Blast increases with warlock levels.

The Dragonfire Adept, from Dragon Magic, is a similar class with a breath weapon and invocations has a descriptor that specifically states it gains invocations, caster level, and breath weapon dice and DC with any class that increases "effective spell casting class levels".

The Edlritch Disciple in Complete Mage specifically states each level increases known invocations and caster levels "as if you had gained a level in an invocation-using class to which you belonged..." followed by a parenthesis (this includes Eldritch Blast).

The Hellfire Warlock states "plus 2d6 points of damage per class level".

Warlock levels vs class levels terminology.  I see a bigger problem here to be honest...do "effective spellcasting levels" of Hellfire warlock even increase invocations?  For the sake of arguement:

Lets say I took levels of Wizard, then Red Wizard, and then say, Eldritch Knight, but I targeted Red Wizard with it's progression.  Can it work that way or must I target the class that originally gives spellcasting?  If you take a solid look, Hellfire Warlocks technically DON'T learn invocations on their own, meaning you could argue that an Eldritch Disciple can't even advance Hellfire Warlock since it merely advances existing Invocation use, and does not provide it.

Let's say your DM ruled it IS an invocation class you can advance with a PrC, does it's progression then forward to the original class?  If not then sure you're increasing hellfire damage, but not Invocations or Eldritch Blast dice/level/DC.

HOWEVER.  There's been a post somewhere (I'm going to look for it later) that a player asked a Dev about Practiced Spellcaster being applied to Eldritch blast.  The Dev replied that he would rule for it, seeing Eldritch Blast as something that refrences it's owners caster level.  He admitted that the exact wording wouldn't support it, but the spirit of the feat is there.  This would be supported by the advancement of Eldritch Disciple and Dragonfire Adept.

In this case, Warlock's Eldritch blast references caster level, not class level.  At this point your DM would have to make the call.  I would have to say it's referencing the "class level" of the Hellfire Warlock alone and not the Hellfire Warlock's "caster level" which is far greater due to previous Warlock levels, making both the PrC and the feat unable to apply to Hellfire Blasts.

If your DM decides to allow PrCs to be true proxy's for the classes they advance, then I would rule yes.  If they say it must be the class that originally provided the use of Invocations, then there's no way to increase Hellfire Blasts beyond 6d6.