Author Topic: The Keep - Group B  (Read 7424 times)

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: The Keep - Group B
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2010, 10:48:23 PM »
Garp joins him, riding his horsey.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2010, 12:09:51 AM »
Taking a look back at the inn, and one more gaze up at the burning blue sky, Mytos joins his companions on the road.
[spoiler]Let's get the DAY started![/spoiler]

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2010, 12:40:12 AM »
Camlen, moving with the others, heads toward Winterhaven. Once out of town he becomes all scaly for a moment, then slowly resumes the 'Niric' form.

[spoiler]The theft is acceptable, as Eremus is a Licensed Thief. Camlen has Undetectable Alignment in effect on himself, as well. Humanoid shape and minor change shape leave him looking like he did before, but with higher Nat. AC. I do recall that this might make for problems in social situations Venn...[/spoiler]
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2010, 04:14:52 AM »
As your group departs Lakeside, you notice that the snow that covers the ground beside your path is curiously absent from the road itself. It doesn't take you long to remember that you were told that the King's Road had been enchanted with a warming effect (or rather, climate control), melting the snow on the road and making travel along the route generally more pleasant. In fact, pleasant it is, as this is the first morning in over a week in which the sky was not completely overcast.

Hours pass uneventfully as you make your way north, and the day drags on. You only see two signs along the road telling you how far Winterhaven is, though as the sun begins its descent toward the horizon, you know that you are not far now.

Clouds return to the sky as you walk onward, though not yet enough to dull the day.  The snow also seems to be growing ever more absent, as you continue on toward Winterhaven. As you know, the region is protected by a range of mountains, creating a much more temperate atmosphere that allows the city's denizens a much longer farming season than its surrounding neighbors. By now, some of you are getting restless, while others are merely weary from the journey; regardless of the cause, a number of you marvel at how quite this merchant route seems, and it rather seems unsettling.

[spoiler]Sorry for the lateness in getting this to you guys.

I'd like you all to make spot and/or listen checks for me. Companion creatures can either aid another, or make their own checks, not both.

And, if anyone cares to delve deeper into the history of the enchanted King's Road, feel free to roll Knowledge: History, though that's just fluff and is an excuse for me to make up a bunch of stuff that isn't officially part of Eberron canon. ;)

@Chemus: It can, since changing the shape on top of your Humanoid Shape invocation can cause minor ripples in your disguise. I'll roll randomly during a social interaction in which you have such a disguise up to determine if a ripple occurs. If it does, I'll have you make a disguise check to reassert the disguise, at a penalty depending on a few factors such as whether the opponent is familiar with a subject you're portraying, if you're part of a long or stressful exchange in which multiple ripples could occur, etc. Or rather, I may just give the opponent a bonus instead. Either way, in most cases your disguise check should be through the roof and it won't come into play. There's always a chance, though. :)
If that sounds alright to you, of course. [/spoiler]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:41:01 AM by VennDygrem »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2010, 05:02:41 AM »
[spoiler]If by History you mean Engineering and Architecture then yes I will attempt to find out something about the road.  Roman roads were engineering marvels, so this one ought to be interesting.  Take 10 for a result of 33.

Roll for spot: 1d20+11=24
Roll for listen: 1d20+1=8

You're just giving me straight-up opportunities for lines like this, aren't you? [/spoiler]

It's quiet... too quiet
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2010, 05:04:33 AM »
Camlen seems to be lazily concentrating on detecting otherwise unseen creatures, but Enniwey is paying moderately good attention to the surroundings, as a hawk in the air. [spoiler]Camlen's Spot&Listen, then Enniwey's:1d20+4=7, 1d20+4=8, 1d20+13=20, 1d20+5=12[/spoiler]
Camlen, Enniwey

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2010, 05:09:41 AM »
[spoiler]
Knowledge (History): 18
Spot: 20
Listen: 20

Wow, with a +1 spot and +3 listen...[/spoiler]
"Agreed; you would think that on the King's Road there might be a bit more... traffic... even my barony's roads tend to have more traffic, for being more agriculturally based..." Keeping his eyes sweeping for any light indicating nearby life, Mytos even walks the road with a sort of airy elegance and grace. Any nearby bandits would surely take him as a mark, flaunting his noble standing with every sweeping gaze.

[spoiler]More to come after results...[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2010, 05:17:07 AM »
"I suppose those traveling for business are beginning to prefer the Lightning Rail.  It speaks well of my house's efforts, to have such widespread influence."

Eremus idly fingers the signet ring gifted to him the last time he met on official house business.
Planetouched Handbook

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2010, 05:29:50 AM »
[spoiler]Hmm, I suppose I can allow for A&E, since TML bothered to put so much effort into the skill. There is not much that's very striking about the construction of the road, but being that you're from Karrnath you'd certainly have heard more about it.
Flay gets the same information from his Kn: History roll.

The King's Road was constructed hundreds of year's ago, long before the Last War. Sure, sections of it have seen some action, either destroyed or otherwise fallen into disrepair, King Kaius III ordered repairs and enhancements to the Road once the treaty was signed on the Day of Mourning. Merchant trade had slowed to a crawl with the last days of the Last War, and the war coupled with the work of the Blood of Vol did little to convince other nations or independent merchants to take up the trade routes, even after the war was declared over and the cult banished from its official duties in the nation. Restoring the primary trade routes seemed to be a good way to help rebuild Karrnath's economy and overall stability.

Many of the court mages were appointed the task of improving the road, so as to provide merchants an incentive to travel. The long and winding road, which stretches and twists its way throughout Karrnath and which touches upon most of its major cities, as well as some of the smaller ones. The mages enchanted vast stretches of the road at a time, balancing the effects of weather upon the road as well as making it more pleasant to travel down in general. Even during the harsh Karrnathi winter, the road manages to stay clear, and travelers and caravans are left feeling safe and content for the most part. Certainly more-so than other trade routes.

However, given how vast the road's reach is, not all accomodations have reached this far north. While the road is still enchanted against weather, it has yet to be properly repaired, at least to the degree that other sections you've seen have been. Still, it's a good enough road for your purposes, and still comfortable enough to travel down.

I'll provide details on the results of the spot/listen when I am not entirely exhausted, ie: In the morning.

As for the line, that one's a freebie. :D

Also, seems Eremus is a little cocky, given that his house merely operates the Lightning Rail, where House Cannith were the ones who actually developed the magic items which allow such a creation to work. :P [/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2010, 05:44:01 AM »
[spoiler]Bah, it'd only be a toy for artificers without our contribution to actually putting it into practice.  Do you think all these rails lines of conducting stone sprang up overnight?  No, it took hard work and guts.  Their accomplishment was not trivial, but who can be better said to have made the broadsheets what they are?  The inventor of the methods of duplication, or the brave journalists and explorers who dare the depths of barbarous lands and the deadly underground, and the publishers who send them to us? 

I suspect the two houses would have something like the North Carolina/Ohio "claiming the invention of the airplane" rivalry.[/spoiler]
Planetouched Handbook

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2010, 12:33:32 PM »
I remember back in the old day when this road would be covered by snow... Those were the days- Don't you guys just love this weather? Garp says, having basically not stopped talking since departure.
[spoiler]Spot;Listen;History (1d20+1=15, 1d20+1=8, 1d20+15=33)

I messed up the roll >.< but I took the first 3 so I think it's okay. Am I safe to assume I can read the History too? :)[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:38:21 PM by bearsarebrown »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2010, 07:27:17 AM »
[spoiler]It's obvious we're going to have an encounter, so in the interest of speeding things up, I'm rolling for initiative right now!

1d20+2=11.  Could be worse.
[/spoiler]
Planetouched Handbook

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2010, 12:30:37 PM »
[spoiler]Even though I'm heartily offended that TML thought of it instead of me (;)), here's Camlen and Enniwey's initiative rolls:1d20+2=12, 1d20+3=5...

(Aaand, I'm finally gonna make an IC account. Further rolls will be under Chemus on IC, rather than guest, if I get the activation email...)[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:32:44 PM by Chemus »
Camlen, Enniwey

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2010, 12:43:17 PM »
[spoiler]1d20+1=13

go team![/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2010, 01:52:24 PM »
[spoiler]Initiative: 15
Cause all the cool kids are doing it... Kind of expected more with a +7... oh well![/spoiler]