Author Topic: Hmm... Do you have any special skills? / I can hold my breath for ten minutes!  (Read 6114 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
All these things that are boosting Fort saves: they DON'T WORK FOR THIS!

Fort saves never come into play when holding your breath.  Just Constitution checks.

Endurance is, for a change, a must-have feat.  Expert Swimmer as well.

Human Barbarian 20.  Everything but Endurance and Expert Swimmer go to Extend Rage for now.  Without magic (except to get those inherent bonuses), he has a Con of 28.  That's 84 rounds of holding your breath before Con checks are even required.  At the end of these 84 rounds, Rage.  The additional +8 Con give another 16 rounds before any Con checks for a total of 100 rounds before any check.

Now, the Rage lasts for 46 rounds (3 base + (5*6 Extra Rage)+ 13 Con modifier).  This may or may not be important, but I'll leave it there for now.

For holding your breath, you have a +21 modifier to your Con check rolls.  This means 12 rounds before any chance of failure (assuming you started raging when I suggested, that's 28/46 rounds gone).  So, you hold your breath for between 112 and 131 rounds, depending on the dice rolls.

This is as long as I can think of without any items or Dragon feats.  The Silithar Bones graft is nonmagical and gives an unnamed +2 bonus to Constitution for another 5 rounds of breath-holding.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
marshal? motivate Con? maybe a pixie does this challenge best?
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Willing Deformity: Obese would help, too.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
A 1-level dip in Marshall would be worthwhile, assuming a decent charisma score.  That would add Cha modifier rounds instead of just 5 from the Mighty Rage.  Only worthwhile if the Cha score is 22 or higher. (note: build below doesn't care)

I forgot about Willing Deformity entirely.

So, 28 point buy Human: 18 Con, everything else is unimportant.  Barbarian 11, Human Paragon 3, Stoneblessed 3, Dwarf Paragon 3

Feats: Endurance, Expert Swimmer, Willing Deformity (flaw), Deformity (Obese) (flaw), Reckless Rage, Extend Rage*5

Con at the end: 38 (18 base, +5 level, +5 inherent, +2 Silithar Bones, +2 Deformity (Obese), +2 Human Paragon, +2 Stoneblessed, +2 Dwarf Paragon).  46 (+6 Greater Rage +2 Reckless Rage) when raging.
Rage duration of 46 rounds (3 base +25 Extend Rage + 18 Con).

Remember, rage must begin at the very end of the duration of holding breath for maximum effect.
Rounds before any check is required: 139 (almost 14 minutes)
Modifier for Con checks made to hold breath: +26 (+18 Con, +4 Endurance, +4 Expert Swimmer)
22 rounds before the rage ends.

17 rounds of garunteed success for a garunteed time of 156 rounds (15 minutes, 36 seconds)  5 rounds to go before the failure chance suddenly jumps by 20% (total of 45% chance of failure when this happens).

Note: this build does not tap into Dragon material and only uses one "item" (the graft)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:51:11 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
I see XXX 3, theres some room for improvement, shame frenzy berserker doesn't give con bonuses. Loth-Touched comes to mind, are templates banned?

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
I see XXX 3, theres some room for improvement, shame frenzy berserker doesn't give con bonuses. Loth-Touched comes to mind, are templates banned?

Yeah, the XXX3 can go to anything.  Unfortunately, there isn't much out there that will help in only 3 levels without sacrificing rage time (and thus shortening the duration).

The 2 levels of Warchief can go, though, if we find something that gives a Con boost in 5 levels.  +2 Con = 7 more rounds of holding breath while +2 Cha only gives an additional round.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:03:02 PM by snakeman830 »

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
For the check itself, Psi-focus is Take 15.
One of the Ardent Mantles gives a further +5 to the check.
Obviously a small pile of items gives + whatever to the check.
There are limited ways to have more than one psi-focus at a time, but
a feat gets you a psi-focus every round via a move action, but
takes a con dc 20 check to get it.

CON should be lots higher via polymorph + the usual increaser + a few weird things.

Way off the deep end is:
do the level 5 pun-pun build, but
instead of Sarrukh, pick the Shambling Mound for the Con craziness.
Needs a helper to tag you with Lightning.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
For the check itself, Psi-focus is Take 15.
One of the Ardent Mantles gives a further +5 to the check.
Obviously a small pile of items gives + whatever to the check.
There are limited ways to have more than one psi-focus at a time, but
a feat gets you a psi-focus every round via a move action, but
takes a con dc 20 check to get it.

CON should be lots higher via polymorph + the usual increaser + a few weird things.

Way off the deep end is:
do the level 5 pun-pun build, but
instead of Sarrukh, pick the Shambling Mound for the Con craziness.
Needs a helper to tag you with Lightning.
How does Psionic focus help in the least?  That only affects Concentration checks which have no effect on holding your breath.

He's also trying to see this without any magic whatsoever, so no spells, magic items, Supernatural abilities, etc (although apparently inherent bonuses are okay).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:38:22 PM by snakeman830 »

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
i dont guess Ex fast healing / regen would help any..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
i dont guess Ex fast healing / regen would help any..
No, especially since drowning is specifically called out as being unreparable by such methods.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
And even  if they did, it would fall under "stay underwater and remain alive" not "hold your breath"

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar

Yeah, the XXX3 can go to anything.  Unfortunately, there isn't much out there that will help in only 3 levels without sacrificing rage time (and thus shortening the duration).

The 2 levels of Warchief can go, though, if we find something that gives a Con boost in 5 levels.  +2 Con = 7 more rounds of holding breath while +2 Cha only gives an additional round.

Stoneblessed 3 gives you +2 CON.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
All right, that will work for now (nice that it doesn't steal away feats for prerequisites).  I'll recalculate.

EDIT: my above post has been updated.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:11:29 PM by snakeman830 »

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks

Stoneblessed 3 gives you +2 CON.

Doesn't Stonebless also let you into Dwarf Paragon for another +2 boost in 3 levels?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
Doesn't Stonebless also let you into Dwarf Paragon for another +2 boost in 3 levels?
It does, but we'd be losing on +2 Con elsewhere, so it wouldn't make any progress.  We only have the 2 Warchief levels to trade around and Dwarf Paragon doesn't give us what we need until level 3.

EDIT: actually, if we drop Marshall and Warchief (and thus any Charisma Focus) for Dwarf Paragon, we can eke out 1 more round of holding breath.

EDIT2: or another 3 rounds, actually.  Interesting.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:51:37 PM by snakeman830 »

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
No Iron Heart Surging the water.
boost your Con checks.

Mineral Warrior (Stony) template gets +4 CON. Although, it seems templates' LA doesn't count towards feats.

re: holding it in a canvas sack: That made me think, surgery to replace lungs with Bag of Holding?

Do what sea-monkeys do on land: metamorphose into a shell in a comatose state until rehydrated (but the reverse here).

Monk Bonus feat-ACF for 2? free feats of any kind.
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
re: holding it in a canvas sack: That made me think, surgery to replace lungs with Bag of Holding?
Surgery to install a ring gate in your throat?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
Well, I've gotten it up to 15 minutes, 36 seconds (156 rounds) of garunteed success with 5 rounds until the Rage ends.  This means we can swap one Extra Rage feat for another feat that allows us to hold our breath even longer or gives us a Con boost.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]