Author Topic: Help optimize my sword  (Read 4983 times)

duncandun

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Help optimize my sword
« on: January 15, 2010, 04:55:09 AM »
I have a cler5/OC3/Bone knight2 guy, just hit level 10.

Well, my DM threw this number on me after last session:

The wounding property on my +1 Magebane greatsword of wounding doesnt work on bosses.

I had no idea.

I need something else to put in its place, and also to upgrade it to +5(so I'll have 3 enhancement levels free).

What should I do with those 3 enhancement levels?

ideas?

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Help optimize my sword
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 05:18:32 AM »

The wounding property on my +1 Magebane greatsword of wounding doesnt work on bosses.

I had no idea.

I need something else to put in its place, and also to upgrade it to +5(so I'll have 3 enhancement levels free).

doesn't work on bosses? What is that shit?

Speed.

duncandun

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 05:35:11 AM »

I had no idea.

doesn't work on bosses? What is that shit?

Speed.

Yeah, we have a few pretty heavy optimizers in the party. So to compensate (make the bosses a challenge) hes been upping the anti, last boss was 60HD for instance. Which would mean hed be losing 60 hp every two times I hit him not including the other dmg.

I dunno, he plays his bosses on hardmode.. multiple turns per round etc. It's fun, challenging. Not ridiculous though.

Also, I would do speed... but I think speed is a +4 enhancement.

also we have a pretty reliable haster in the party(wizard).

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 02:28:08 PM »
He should probably look into construct or undead bosses...

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 02:52:24 PM »
Yeah, we have a few pretty heavy optimizers in the party. So to compensate (make the bosses a challenge) hes been upping the anti, last boss was 60HD for instance. Which would mean hed be losing 60 hp every two times I hit him not including the other dmg.
...So? 60 hit points is laughable compared to what 60 HD gives you, if the bosses don't have similarly laughable Con scores.

Anyway, how about Eager, Warning, and Valorous? +7 Init, +2 damage in the first round of combat, draw it as a free action, double damage on a charge (stacks normally with Spirited Charge and stuff). Total +3 equivalent. :D
Transmuting might also be a good choice for bypassing DR, if any. It's a +2 equivalent, IIRC.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:53:58 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 03:10:49 PM »
Collision is always a solid one, giving you +5 damage for a +2 bonus.  Failing that, Vampiric is a fun quality dealing an additional 1d6 damage to living creatures and healing you for an equal amount (also +2).  Not only does it make you more powerful offensively, but it also makes you a little tougher.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 03:17:03 PM »
Collision is always a solid one, giving you +5 damage for a +2 bonus.  Failing that, Vampiric is a fun quality dealing an additional 1d6 damage to living creatures and healing you for an equal amount (also +2).  Not only does it make you more powerful offensively, but it also makes you a little tougher.

Could also go Wrathful Healing from Enemies & Allies if he likes the extra healing.  It's a +3 ability and heals you for 1/2 the damage you deal.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 05:39:45 PM »
Also, I would do speed... but I think speed is a +4 enhancement.

Speed is +3, actually.

duncandun

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 05:54:15 PM »
...So? 60 hit points is laughable compared to what 60 HD gives you, if the bosses don't have similarly laughable Con scores.

Anyway, how about Eager, Warning, and Valorous? +7 Init, +2 damage in the first round of combat, draw it as a free action, double damage on a charge (stacks normally with Spirited Charge and stuff). Total +3 equivalent. :D
Transmuting might also be a good choice for bypassing DR, if any. It's a +2 equivalent, IIRC.

that actually sounds pretty good... I have shit for init, and I'm also pretty much doing a charger.

Hmm, I got some cloud walker boots(gives you airwalk), could I somehow use these to incorporate battle jump aswell?

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 06:01:26 PM »
What you have to think about is that that might be wasted. some of those bonuses work even on a dagger you don't use. Like initiative...

I quite like valorous, wrathful healing, speed if you aren't a FB and have pounce impact Heavy (mudane property) Greathorn minotaur greathammer.

Gives you a 3d6 17-20 X4 weapon, medium size. X2 damage on charge and heal half damage you deal (great on uber chargers with FB) need EWP Heavy Greathorn minotaur greathammer but yea. Also, people debate wether the weapon is 19-20 or 20 it says both, but in the stat table for the weapon is 19-20 but in a mosnter entry it says only 20. Notmally table makes more sense but some people disagree.

duncandun

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 06:10:28 PM »
any ideas for a way to get pounce as a cleric?:(

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 06:12:16 PM »
any ideas for a way to get pounce as a cleric?:(
Dip a single level of Barbarian?
If your DM allows cheesy rules interpretations, Psionic Lion's Charge (used through a tatoo or something) has a listed duration of instantaneous, so it should technically grant you pounce forever. It's most definitely not RAI, but there you go.

For more ways, check out Surreal's Lists of Stuff.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 08:14:05 PM »
Travel Devotion?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 08:15:32 PM »
Travel Devotion?
Not quite Pounce, as it doesn't allow you to charge+full attack, just move+full attack. This strikes me as important since he said he's more or less playing the character as a charger.

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
If you have LA buy back and can use the feral temple +1 love it, at level 3 can be bought back, one of me favorite templates.

Gives so many things, including pounce.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 09:12:48 PM »
If you have LA buy back and can use the feral temple +1 love it, at level 3 can be bought back, one of me favorite templates.

Gives so many things, including pounce.
Nope, sorry. The special abilities table that gives Pounce depends on "monster HD". By contrast, Darkvision and Fast Healing don't specify monster HD, they work with any and all HD.

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 09:15:23 PM »
Wait so your FH and DV increase but pounce and so on don't? weird.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 09:20:10 PM »
Wait so your FH and DV increase but pounce and so on don't? weird.
By RAW, yes. Savage Species is a weird book.

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 12:25:55 AM »

I had no idea.

ideas?

Kihmari uses Status!
Seymour Jerkface is immune to: Everything that isn't straight up damage.
Sounds like he's trying to recreate all the bad ways of JRPGs.

Fiery Icy Shocking Acidic Psychokinetic Sword? 4d6+1d4 damage is kinda cool.
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 12:53:53 AM »
To be fair, what GM wants their BBEG to instantly die within one turn of one player using the same exact cheap tactic they used for the last 10 levels?
It's not like the DMG even suggests the BBEG would be even slightly prepared for them right?

Anyway, watch the elemental damage boosters. Anything with resistance 5 pretty much ignores them and your already high enough most creatures are immune to at least one type of energy. For the way the seems to DM runs things, I'd grab a Metalline/Transmuting and Holy just to deal with outstanding DR's you'll probably have to deal with.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]