Author Topic: Spell Help for a New Caster (Archivist)  (Read 1978 times)

Plainsrunner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Spell Help for a New Caster (Archivist)
« on: January 14, 2010, 07:22:11 PM »
So I'm starting up an Archivist character soon. Level 4, skills, and at least 2 feats chosen. Gear... semi-chosen. Except for spell scrolls. :)

So here's the gig. I have roughly 700 gp for spells. Non-cleric spells cost 150% (or 50% above regular price), and Domain spells are double-priced. This is pretty much my first PnP caster(I've played them in BG and NWN, but the sheer number of options in PnP frightens me). Certain spells don't exist in this game, notably Summon Monster(and similar) spells, resurrection spells and spells involving moving through other planes(such as Plane Shift, Gate, and Teleport.

Finally, all Necromancy spells are illegal. This particular character isn't all that worried about having the spells, despite their legality, but probably won't use them much.

For characterization idea, the character is a LE/NE priest of Vecna(in secret) with a religious(pun fully intended) interest in secrets, relics(magical or mundane), and magic(arcane or divine). And if you've ever read any Dragonlance books, he takes a little influence from Raistlin.

Books Policy is semi-open.
Flat-Out Disallowed Books: Tome of Battle, Tome of Magic, Fiendish Codex (I & II), Book of Vile Darkness (material from the Book of Exalted Deeds allowed only on a case-by-case basis, check with me), Planar Handbook, Races of the Dragon. Again, please check with me before using material from a supplement other than the Completes, PHBII, Frostburn, and Sandstorm.

So mainly, I want to be useful to the party, but I don't want to be overwhelmed with tons of spells that require bunches of thinking outside the box to actually be useful. A little new to casters so don't want to get too lost in everything.

So anyways, thanks for whatever help you can give.

~Plainsrunner
PS: If you happen to know of any good level 1 feats, besides Academic Priest, I'm currently using Improved Initiative.
PPS: I'm not looking to be a Tier 1-Tier 0 character. I'm looking to be a character who can be useful to his party and interesting to play. I'm looking for his skills(er, talents) to fit his character. Any suggestions on how to make 'the ultimate pwnage!11!!!" will be ignored. Thank you.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Spell Help for a New Caster (Archivist)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »

Finally, all Necromancy spells are illegal. This particular character isn't all that worried about having the spells, despite their legality, but probably won't use them much.

Even for spells like gentle repose?
Academic priest is a good choice you mentioned  for a first level feat as it makes your character single attribute dependent. Given your focus on secrets you might want to find some scrolls from the trickery and illusion domains.

Plainsrunner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 03:13:10 PM »
I'd assume so. Again, resurrection spells don't exist and undead-making spells are illegal, so I don't think many would find it necessary.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »
I suppose that spells that give you large amounts of healing/temp HP are better than normal, then? Close Wounds is a must-have, obviously, for the "negates death" part, as is Delay Death itself, as a 3rd level spell (Destiny Domain).

Elder Giant Magic / Reserves of Strength are a good option for your 6th level feat. Feel free to use both for +6 CL, though.

For your earlier feats, why not something like "Collegiate Wizard", except for Archivists? You need the free spells.
Another option is Touch of Healing or the Burst of Flame (?) reserve feats.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 08:59:57 PM »
I suppose that spells that give you large amounts of healing/temp HP are better than normal, then? Close Wounds is a must-have, obviously, for the "negates death" part, as is Delay Death itself, as a 3rd level spell (Destiny Domain).

Elder Giant Magic / Reserves of Strength are a good option for your 6th level feat. Feel free to use both for +6 CL, though.

For your earlier feats, why not something like "Collegiate Wizard", except for Archivists? You need the free spells.

Going in that vein, if the DM approves a rework of Collegiate Archivist, see if he'll go for the Elven sub levels for wizard to be reworked for archivist.  That combo on wizards has gotten be through til I could craft a Tome of Ancient Lore and Blessed Book several times.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Plainsrunner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 03:03:18 PM »

Touch of Healing is my current level 3rd feat, and I was hoping to grab Knowledge Devotion for my level 6, but I'll look into those too. Right now, Vigor and Touch of Healing can restore just about anyone in the group to full health methinks.

Something I should have mentioned earlier, combat is not as big in this game. As in, we've been through almost 50 pages and haven't entered it yet.

Again, mainly what I'm looking for is spell choices. I need to know what's worth it and what isn't in regards to spells. Out of combat uses will be helpful. Again, 700 gold, spells cost 150% for non-cleric, 200% for domain. ;)