Author Topic: Creating Rasputin For a Reincarnation Campaign  (Read 2854 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Creating Rasputin For a Reincarnation Campaign
« on: January 14, 2010, 05:37:30 AM »
I've been listening to the Rasputin song a lot, and I've been thinking of doing a post apocalyptic future where heroes and villains from the past have been reincarnated, and they will be the ones who dictate how the world continues to live. I know it's original, and we've seen it done tons of times in shows/cartoons (Highlander The Animated Series, Fist of the North Star, etc), but I thought it'd be fun nonetheless.

Thought I'd work on Rasputin first. Characters will be made with the 38 point buy, and Unearthed Arcana variants for classes will be grants (including the generic classes), noted with UA.

Feel free to add to this. Maybe suggest a few more villains (ie Jesse James, G. Khan, Vlad Tepes, etc). Now this isn't the actual Rasputin. Just a reincarnation so things will be different. Doesn't have to be 100% exact after all. And if anything's wrong, just let me know. It's almost 3 AM, and I've been playing with this for a bit so everything looks about the same to me right now.

Also, this was suggested to me, and I don't know how I want to think about it, but someone suggested adding the lich template and making it an arcane caster of some kind like in the Anastasia movie. I don't know. Vlad Tepes will be a vampire though.  :ninja And yes I know this is a high level. The players won't be at lvl 1 to start. Be more like lvl 5. I haven't quite decided, but the mad monk will be a long ways away.

Rasputin The Mad Monk  (CR 16)
Male Human Expert 3 (UA)/Aristocrat 2/Sidewinder Monk 8 (DR331)/Charlatan 4 (DR335)
LE Medium humanoid (human)
Init: +1; Senses: Listen +8, Spot +8
Languages: Common
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC 27, touch 27, flat-footed 22
HP 180
Fort +17, Ref +14, Will +20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed 50 ft
Melee +13
Ranged +12
Base Atk +11/+6; Grp +12
Atk Options: Unarmed Strike (2d6+2), Flurry of Blows +7/+7/+2
Combat Gear: N/A
Stats: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 16
SA: Fangs 2/day, Tricks of the Trade, feigned casting, fortune teller's eye, steal the credit, lesser mind trick, fake healing
SQ: +2d6 Sneak Attack, Wholeness of Body, Improved Evasion, Flurry of Blows, Wisdom to AC, Ki Strike (Magic), +3 bluff, diplomacy, and disguise checks when mingling with high society (not included in skills total), +3 spellcraft checks when identifying a potion, +3 Fort against an Ingested Poison, False reputation, Pretender, fearsome reputation, master of lies

Feats: Superior Taste (DR324), High Society (DR333), Improved Toughness, Diehard, Skill Focus (Bluff), Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, Persuasive, Improved Feint, Unarmed Strike, Great Fortitude

Skills: Appraise +5, Balance +4, Bluff +24, Concentration +6, Diplomacy +17, Disguise (when being observed) +5, Escape Artist +6, Gather Information +11, Heal +9, Hide +2, Intimidate +19, Jump +4, Knowledge (arcana) +8, Knowledge (geography) +7, Knowledge (history) +9, Knowledge (local) +10, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +10, Knowledge (religion) +11, Listen +8, Move Silently +7, Perform (Oratory) +8, Profession (Apothecary) +6, Profession (Herbalist) +4, Search +7, Sense Motive +8, Sleight of Hand +7, Spellcraft +10, Spot +8, Survival +5, Swim +5, Tumble +6, Use Magic Device (scrolls) +5

Possessions: Amulet of Health +4, Gloves of Dexterity +4, Monk's Belt, Bracers of Armor +6, Circlet of Persuasion, Vest of Resistance +4, Ring of Antivenom, Talisman of Undying Fortitude, Ring of Protection +2, Dusty Rose Ioun Stone

NOTE: Expert Skills (14): Bluff, Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (religion), Perform, Profession, Sleight of Hand, Survival
Expert Saves: Fort, Ref
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Re: Creating Rasputin For a Reincarnation Campaign
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:14:06 AM »
ug double post
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:19:53 PM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 06:17:37 AM »
Poor fella. He has got to have had the funniest (in a sad way) death ever. Be sure to recreate that. Positive Energy Plane abuse can help with this (let him get out right before he pops)  :lol

Have a few factions work with the PCs so that way the PCs don't just spam disintegrate. They get to see him poisoned, shot, etc
[Spoiler]
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 02:08:57 PM »
Poor fella. He has got to have had the funniest (in a sad way) death ever. Be sure to recreate that. Positive Energy Plane abuse can help with this (let him get out right before he pops)  :lol
Double post? Guess you were having troubles with the site too.

By funny death, you talking about the Anastasia movie? I still haven't watched it yet, but plan to just to see if anything tickles my fancy.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »
By funny death, you talking about the Anastasia movie? I still haven't watched it yet, but plan to just to see if anything tickles my fancy.
No I'm talking history. That man would just not die. I think he finally drown (rather than freezing to death, dying of poison, stabbing, shooting, etc)

Not a good way to go, but if he's a badguy...
[Spoiler]
[/Spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 05:26:33 PM »
No I'm talking history. That man would just not die. I think he finally drown (rather than freezing to death, dying of poison, stabbing, shooting, etc)

Not a good way to go, but if he's a badguy...
I think the sequence was that they poisoned him, but he didn't seem to have any reaction, so they shot him and he fell down, but got back up when they left(and assumed him dead), boy was the guy coming back surprised. So they shot him more times to be sure, stabbed him, tied him up and threw him in river in winter.

When they found the corpse, he has already escaped from the rope, but apparently froze to death before he could get somewhere warm.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 05:47:45 PM »
I think the sequence was that they poisoned him, but he didn't seem to have any reaction, so they shot him and he fell down, but got back up when they left(and assumed him dead), boy was the guy coming back surprised. So they shot him more times to be sure, stabbed him, tied him up and threw him in river in winter.

When they found the corpse, he has already escaped from the rope, but apparently froze to death before he could get somewhere warm.
Hence why he's built the way he is. There were even comments saying that they saw him come out of the water after him, but that the river current was stonger than him. Oh if only the river had been calm.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Or if it had been less frosty.

Of course, since he was known for messing in the occult, it could simply have been a nice set of buff and protection spells he had, in paranoia, went around with all the time.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 05:57:44 PM »
Or if it had been less frosty.

Of course, since he was known for messing in the occult, it could simply have been a nice set of buff and protection spells he had, in paranoia, went around with all the time.
True. Guess he didn't have endure elements memorized.

They say he did, but he was just into lustful sex with multiple women, and getting more power. His daughter wrote a book years after his death talking about how he was asked to join certain cults but refused because he'd have to give up drinking and sex. I actually considered putting Drunken Master in there as well. It'd make some sense.

wackodraco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »
I actually had this discussion with a friend a long time ago.
Rasputin is one of those rare people who's all 18s. I mean it.
He was said to be as strong as an Ox, to the point of being physically beyond any other man.
He was said to be swift and accurate, but you may dump dex- I don't honestly remember where I heard it.
His constitution needs to be amazing. Recall the attempted assassination? He ate enough poison to kill an elephant, was shot four times in the the back, and still lived. They threw him in a body of water, but never found the body, thus indicating he did not die of hypothermia.
Intelligence and Charisma are evident in his impact on the throne- he was smart enough to steer Russia towards greatness, but charismatic enough to sway THE QUEEN.
Wisdom is evident in his faith. He preached from the heart in a wholly open way; he was said to be the most moving preacher in Russia at the time.
I may be incorrect, but at the very least, he's got unusually high stats.
"Go. Hunt. Kill illithids."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 06:26:56 PM »
I actually had this discussion with a friend a long time ago.
Rasputin is one of those rare people who's all 18s. I mean it.
He was said to be as strong as an Ox, to the point of being physically beyond any other man.
He was said to be swift and accurate, but you may dump dex- I don't honestly remember where I heard it.
His constitution needs to be amazing. Recall the attempted assassination? He ate enough poison to kill an elephant, was shot four times in the the back, and still lived. They threw him in a body of water, but never found the body, thus indicating he did not die of hypothermia.
Intelligence and Charisma are evident in his impact on the throne- he was smart enough to steer Russia towards greatness, but charismatic enough to sway THE QUEEN.
Wisdom is evident in his faith. He preached from the heart in a wholly open way; he was said to be the most moving preacher in Russia at the time.
I may be incorrect, but at the very least, he's got unusually high stats.
Unless I allowed 48 point, I don't think he'd get anywhere near those stats without going well over the NPC wealth limit. As it is it's 500 gp over. If he was a PC, it'd be less of an issue.
Wouldn't he just have godly skill ranks? Like look at my Bluff +24 and Diplomacy +17. That's almost maxed considering the classes he has don't have the skills as class skills. He could have Able Learner. That's always possible. But no matter how smart you are, unless you know who you're dealing with, and know how to say something (ie Bluff and Diplomacy with help from Gather Information), raw talent only goes so far. I'll admit his Perform should probably be higher, but usually only Bards gain benefit from that.

And they did find his body, and it didn't have his genitals attached. It's said they were finally recovered decades later.

I've given him items that I hope will better constitute the kind of person he was. That, and feats. Bonuses against injected poison are a major factor here. That, and the aspect that he was able to live after his stomach was slashed open, that's amazing in itself.

wackodraco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 07:44:45 PM »
I've given him items that I hope will better constitute the kind of person he was. That, and feats. Bonuses against injected poison are a major factor here. That, and the aspect that he was able to live after his stomach was slashed open, that's amazing in itself.

It was said that one of the Tsar's sons was a hemophiliac; after a routine injury, he was bleeding profusely. After a short telephone conversation, Rasputin convinced him to stop bleeding.
I'd say he has amazing charisma by that alone.
"Go. Hunt. Kill illithids."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 07:49:11 PM »

It was said that one of the Tsar's sons was a hemophiliac; after a routine injury, he was bleeding profusely. After a short telephone conversation, Rasputin convinced him to stop bleeding.
I'd say he has amazing charisma by that alone.
Yes and no. What actually happened was the doctors back then gave the son aspirin and different medicines that made it harder for the blood to clot, and Rasputin told them to stop, and leave the boy alone. However, they do say that he might have known hypnosis.