Author Topic: Spells/Invocations for an Eldritch Disciple  (Read 3044 times)

sombrastewart

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Spells/Invocations for an Eldritch Disciple
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:49:03 PM »
Got a level 12 eldritch disciple getting ready to come out the gate after the death of my rogue.  I need help on the spell selection.  It's a Warlock 5/Ur-Priest 2/Eldritch Disciple 5 (GM okayed the Ur-Priest), so I'm trying to figure out spell and invocation selection.  Group has an assassin and a leadership Bard with another cleric and a knight to travel with him.  We're drawing largely out of the Completes here, so please don't go outside them for things like Nightsticks.

Stats: Human, Lawful Evil
Str: 8
Dex: 10
Con: 14
Int: 13
Wis: 26
Cha: 20

Items: Artificier Monocle, Cloak of Cha +4, Periapt of Wis +6, Vest of Resistance +3.  I haven't selected armor, weapon or any wondrous items outside Heward's Fortifying Bedroll yet.

My provisional list:
Invocations: Fell Flight, Flee the Scene, Dark One's Own Luck, Voracious Dispelling, See the Unseen, Entropic Warding.
-I'm thinking whether See the Unseen is a good choice with True Seeing on the cleric list of possibles.

I just barely cover my skill pre-reqs and that pretty much uses them all up.  Feats are for pre-reqs (Spell Focus: Evil, Iron Will, Combat Casting) and I'm thinking about taking Extra Turning to go with DMM Extend and Persist.

The spell list is giving me trouble.  This is for the Expedition to Castle Greyhawk, so enemies are all over the board.  I'm only certain on taking Superior Resistance as one level 7 spell, but beyond that, I'm all the way up to level 8 spells, with the following slots:

0th: 6
1st: 6
2nd: 6
3rd: 5
4th: 5
6th: 3
7th: 2
8th: 1

Any help is appreciated in advance.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Spells/Invocations for an Eldritch Disciple
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:57:51 PM »
8th level spell at ECL 12... fucking Ur Priests.... anyways!

Are you buying Iron Will? It's a magical location in Complete Scoundrel.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 12:04:16 AM »
Divine power and divine favor are always good for a DMM user. Greater magic vestment and greater magic weapon are good long term buffs for the party.

sombrastewart

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 12:06:54 AM »
Thanks to both of you.

I had forgotten all about the magical locations.

I hadn't planned on Divine Power and Divine Favor since I was going to be caster instead of full on cleric with plate and such.  Does that matter?  If it doesn't, great, I just hardly ever play any caster types except warlocks.

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 09:57:12 AM »
If you are going to be sticking to ranged eldritch blasts, Divine Agility might come in handy. But then again, you probably won't have too much difficulty hitting with touch attacks.

If enemies are "all over the board," maybe consider Eldritch Chain?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:32:37 AM »
How are you getting fort +3 with warlock 5?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

sombrastewart

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 12:10:58 PM »
How are you getting fort +3 with warlock 5?

You're correct, I copied it from the wrong sheet.  Thanks for catching it.

If you are going to be sticking to ranged eldritch blasts, Divine Agility might come in handy. But then again, you probably won't have too much difficulty hitting with touch attacks.

If enemies are "all over the board," maybe consider Eldritch Chain?

Well, I'm not opposed to doing combat in another fashion, I just don't know of another one that won't get me killed.

Eldritch Chain is a good invocation, but I suppose the comment is misleading.  I meant that they're all different kinds of enemies; undead, abberations, other adventurers, constructs, etc.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 12:13:26 PM »
So what's your build then?  Pull out the right sheet :P
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

sombrastewart

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »
Getting my first cup of coffee in me, where did I post that I had a +5 save to begin with?

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 12:46:47 PM »
Getting my first cup of coffee in me, where did I post that I had a +5 save to begin with?

your build says ur going into ur @ lvl 5, after 5 lvls of warlock, but ur requires a +5 fort save. that dont add up.

sombrastewart

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 12:51:54 PM »

your build says ur going into ur @ lvl 5, after 5 lvls of warlock, but ur requires a +5 fort save. that dont add up.

You are correct.

Time to scrap and start over, I guess.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 12:54:48 PM »
+3, not +5.. you just need 1 level dip into a class with a good fort save.

sombrastewart

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 01:04:53 PM »
If you have any good ideas, please post them, I've got to go out for a while.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 01:22:13 PM »
Dip a level of binder, it gives you some nice abilities and would be extremely useful if you ever take hellfire warlock.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 01:58:51 PM »
I would personally swap Voracious Dispelling with Relentless Dispelling (Complete Mage).  The second dispel with no action from you is better than the damage on a successful dispel.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

sombrastewart

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 03:11:19 PM »
I would personally swap Voracious Dispelling with Relentless Dispelling (Complete Mage).  The second dispel with no action from you is better than the damage on a successful dispel.

That's a good point, I probably will go with that.

As an idea to go back and get the Fort requirement on Ur-Priest, I was considering nabbing an evil paladin variant, but would those go away with Ur-Priest or just the casting?

EDIT: Disregard that, I won't have the skills I need.

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 04:24:42 PM »
One build that I have used that meets the prereqs for Ur-Priest is Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 10/ Hellfire Warlock 3. You need a minimum Int mod of +2 (or +1 int mod and human) just to squeak into Ur-Priest.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 01:55:28 AM »
Eldritch Disciple/Hellfire Warlock is an excellent combo.  The 2nd level cleric spell Body Ward (Comp. Champion) is great for hellfire blast if you don't want to go the Binder route.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread