Author Topic: Abusing Fire Trap?  (Read 1975 times)

Bill Bisco: Eloquent Elf

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Abusing Fire Trap?
« on: January 12, 2010, 06:34:28 PM »
I've been thinking about the spell Fire Trap.  Druids get it at 2nd level along with Resist Energy So if a Druid cast Resist energy, they could stand next to an enemy open up the device, and have the enemy take damage but not the druid.  I'm assuming that the same object could not be Fire Trapped multiple times.  But I'm wondering if there are items that can all be opened at once easily, all firetrapped, and be used to do devastating damage to an opponent. 

The disadvantage of course is the 25 gp material component which requires the Druid to burn his wallet to use this trick often.

MyndBulletz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit.
Re: Abusing Fire Trap?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:47:41 PM »
What about belt pouches? You could rig them all to a rope and pull it to open them all at once, and BOOM goes the dynamite.
Winning a dispute on the internet is like getting a gold medal at the Special Olympics. Sure you won...but you're still retarded.

Vicerious

• Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 07:20:07 PM »
Quote from: From Fire Trap on the SRD
When someone other than you
  Emphasis mine.

Not that it's a big hurdle.  You just have to give the trapped objects to your partymate (animal companion?) and cast Resist Energy on them.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

MyndBulletz

• Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 07:39:06 PM »
:facepalm @ reading the description too quickly. But yeah, just give the belt to someone else in the party. Instant suicide bomber, without the suicide part.
Winning a dispute on the internet is like getting a gold medal at the Special Olympics. Sure you won...but you're still retarded.

Bill Bisco: Eloquent Elf

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »
  Emphasis mine.

Not that it's a big hurdle.  You just have to give the trapped objects to your partymate (animal companion?) and cast Resist Energy on them.
  Good point there, and with Shared Spells, that will only require one Resist Energy Spell.  This can also work well with Druids that Ride their animal companions.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:17:34 PM »
  Emphasis mine.

Good point there, and with Shared Spells, that will only require one Resist Energy Spell.  This can also work well with Druids that Ride their animal companions.

Hell, do that at level 3 by having the rope tied to the wolf's tail, and set it off whenever you give the command in sylvan to "tuck tail." :P

Oh, and then laugh maniacally while muttering something about fighting in the shade :lmao
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:32:32 PM »
Summon Suicidal Monkey I?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »
Summon Suicidal Monkey I?

In that case, have it fluffed to look like a doglike kobold (like from Kobolds Ate My Baby), and scream "All hail King Togg!" before pulling the cord :P
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 09:25:24 PM »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.