Author Topic: Need help optimizing a Gestalted Bard/Wizard  (Read 3577 times)

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Need help optimizing a Gestalted Bard/Wizard
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 10:58:17 AM »
True, but I have 8 wis and the DC must have been greater than 0 :P
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

melinore

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 02:06:27 PM »
Ok so the advice Phaedrus gave about Bardic Music not being as meaningful Wizard spells has rather influenced me and I decided I'd rework my Bard side to be Bard 2/ Marshal 3/ Memory Smith 5/ Sublime Chord 10. This is basically the same build just dropping the level in Warrior Skald that would have netted me all Bardic Music abilities. Instead with another level of Memory Smith I can pick up level 3 Bard spells and a better caster level which I hope will come in handy.

Also I quite like the fact that even the jokes have to follow DnD rules. :P

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 05:19:32 PM »
Given it's not incredibly great in this instance, you may want to consider looking into Dragonfire Inspiration if you find yourself with a few spare feats -- unlikely, but still.

melinore

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 04:58:57 AM »
I'm not sure Dragonfire Inspiration would be that useful in this build. I'll only have Inspire Courage as a level 7 Bard which isn't even enough to get me a +2 bonus. I suppose I could boost it with Words of Creation and items, but that is another feat invested that I might not have room for. I'm thinking I'm going to need more feats open that I can devote to metamagic to make the best use of Incantatrix.

melinore

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 10:23:45 PM »
Just a bit of an update one of the party members has decided to take a level dip in Marshal himself in order to get the Motivate Dex aura thereby freeing me from having to take 2 more levels in Marshal. So my new build is Bard 2/ Marshal 1/ Bard 2/Memory Smith 5/ Sublime Chord 10. Do you folks think this would be ideal or could I make substitutions that would enhance my spellcasting better than Memory Smith or another 2 levels in Bard?

I'd like to hear thoughts on what spells I should take/prepare especially at lower levels as my contributions to battles have been somewhat lacking in usefulness other than healing party members when they need it and slight buffing through song. These are not ideal roles and I was hoping to have some advice on how to increase my ability to contribute in battle.

Another thing I wish to hear your thoughts on DMs that allow custom spells to enter their games. Have any of you played in games that allowed that and if so how did it go? The DM that is running this game allows them and I am slightly apprehensive in embracing this and creating my own because I get the feeling it will very quickly spiral out of control. All spells that we wish to create have to be approved by him, but still it seems a recipe for letting the power balance of the game slip away. Your thoughts? Agree? Disagree? Or even just want to suggest a way cool awesome spell? Leave a post!

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 10:46:38 PM »
Stop taking sublime chord levels after lvl 2 and take a full casting prestige class instead, the features would generally be better. A good choice might be virtuoso to improve your music abilities.