Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: The Revenge of the Grue  (Read 139563 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Ask a Simple Question: The Revenge of the Grue
« Reply #380 on: January 13, 2010, 09:58:55 PM »
Hence, dip (2 levels) :D
True, but I need something more permanent too if I want to become 30 HD. I'm kind of spreading myself out enough as it is. Hmm. I'll come up with something.
Peerless Archer is a great one to take all 10 levels of; their 8th level ability is fantastic, and meshes really well with two levels of OotBI (though the 3.5 version otherwise sucks.  The 3.0 one was better.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #381 on: January 13, 2010, 10:00:39 PM »
Q 101 My Will sucks big time. What's a good class that stacks fairly well with ranger with a strong will save? Besides Wizard (no Arcane Sword feat allowed) and Slayer.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #382 on: January 13, 2010, 10:05:23 PM »
Q 101 My Will sucks big time. What's a good class that stacks fairly well with ranger with a strong will save? Besides Wizard (no Arcane Sword feat allowed) and Slayer.
Swordsage, you can get some nice mobility themed abilities and a few of the maneuvers work with ranged attacks.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #383 on: January 13, 2010, 10:06:33 PM »
Q100 The Awl Pike from dragon is a polearm with 15ft reach. What happens when you're large? 30ft?
A similar question comes up with whips.
PHB says it doubles reach.

Doesn't PHB say that reach weapons double reach? These are extra reaching reach weapons.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #384 on: January 13, 2010, 10:15:48 PM »
Q100 The Awl Pike from dragon is a polearm with 15ft reach. What happens when you're large? 30ft?
A similar question comes up with whips.
PHB says it doubles reach.

Doesn't PHB say that reach weapons double reach? These are extra reaching reach weapons.
It says that being large doubles whatever your reach would be if you were medium.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #385 on: January 13, 2010, 10:23:49 PM »
It says that being large doubles whatever your reach would be if you were medium.
[/quote]

Does that include things like the ToB stance that grants +5ft reach? If I start medium and grow to large, it should grant me +10ft, right? But if I'm a large creature it'll only give me +5ft?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #386 on: January 13, 2010, 10:25:21 PM »

Does that include things like the ToB stance that grants +5ft reach? If I start medium and grow to large, it should grant me +10ft, right? But if I'm a large creature it'll only give me +5ft?
[/quote]That's a modifier to it, not the base reach.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #387 on: January 13, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »
A large creature with an Awl Pike and that stance would have a reach of 35ft then?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #388 on: January 13, 2010, 10:40:46 PM »
A large creature with an Awl Pike and that stance would have a reach of 35ft then?
Correct, assuming you stated the weapon correctly.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #389 on: January 13, 2010, 11:18:13 PM »
Swordsage, you can get some nice mobility themed abilities and a few of the maneuvers work with ranged attacks.
Really? Because I've considered that, but a lot of people have done their very best to talk me out of it because of how it doesn't work well with ranged rangers, but rather with two-weapon fighting rangers. Of which, I'm a bow user.

EDIT: Looking over it again, it probably has a lot to do with my already having Weapon Focus, and because I use a buckler shield (of which I'm not getting rid of).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:21:33 PM by kevin_video »

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #390 on: January 13, 2010, 11:25:14 PM »
Really? Because I've considered that, but a lot of people have done their very best to talk me out of it because of how it doesn't work well with ranged rangers, but rather with two-weapon fighting rangers. Of which, I'm a bow user.

EDIT: Looking over it again, it probably has a lot to do with my already having Weapon Focus, and because I use a buckler shield (of which I'm not getting rid of).
Most of the boosts work well with ranged combat, especially if you have skill points in concentration. Exactly what level are you?  I could try and look for some of the better maneuvers if I can find out what your initiator level is.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #391 on: January 13, 2010, 11:31:51 PM »
Most of the boosts work well with ranged combat, especially if you have skill points in concentration. Exactly what level are you?  I could try and look for some of the better maneuvers if I can find out what your initiator level is.
I'm 14 HD (+12 BAB), but it doesn't look worth it if I can only take one level. I won't get the AC bonus because of my buckler, and I won't get rid of it because of all the money I've put into it. It's got Self Haste 3/day and daylight on it (which I need for my fast healing), and it's a +2. I also have no melee weapons other than my bow (which counts as a quarterstaff -- elvencraft longbow) and a keen sickle because I switched out my martial weapon proficiency to gain exotic weapon proficiency repeating crossbow and hand crossbow.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #392 on: January 13, 2010, 11:42:42 PM »
I'm 14 HD (+12 BAB), but it doesn't look worth it if I can only take one level. I won't get the AC bonus because of my buckler, and I won't get rid of it because of all the money I've put into it. It's got Self Haste 3/day and daylight on it (which I need for my fast healing), and it's a +2. I also have no melee weapons other than my bow (which counts as a quarterstaff -- elvencraft longbow) and a keen sickle because I switched out my martial weapon proficiency to gain exotic weapon proficiency repeating crossbow and hand crossbow.

If you take the one level at high HD, you can actually get really good manuvers. Because non-Initiator levels count as 1/2 initiator levels, ToB is probably the dip friendliest book. At 14 HD, I believe you could get 4th level maneuvers! (maybe 3rd...)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #393 on: January 13, 2010, 11:44:03 PM »
If you take the one level at high HD, you can actually get really good manuvers. Because non-Initiator levels count as 1/2 initiator levels, ToB is probably the dip friendliest book. At 14 HD, I believe you could get 4th level maneuvers! (maybe 3rd...)
If you've got suggestions for what would be best to take for a ranged user, I'll listen.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #394 on: January 13, 2010, 11:44:27 PM »
4th. A second initiator level would grant 5ths.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #395 on: January 14, 2010, 12:37:17 AM »
If you've got suggestions for what would be best to take for a ranged user, I'll listen.

You should take two levels of swordsage for a mid level stance, an additional +1 to BAB, reflex and will as well as an ac ability that you can use if you ever loose your buckler.
A good setup would be as follows.
Stances: Stance of Clarity, Hearing the Air
Manuevers,
Cloak of Deception, Shadow Garret, Shadow Stride, Moment of Perfect Mind, Wind Stride, Zephyr Dance, Fire Snake

This set up gives you a nice set of options. All of which are usable as a ranged character and often enhance that role. Some are not so good and serve as requirement fillers but you just have to not ready those, namely wind stride. A good set of readied maneuvers would be cloak of deception, shadow stride, Fire Snake, Zephyr Dance. Unless you have a good number of ranks in concentration in which case replace zephyr dance with moment of perfect mind.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #396 on: January 14, 2010, 12:40:45 AM »
Unless you have a good number of ranks in concentration in which case replace zephyr dance with moment of perfect mind.
lol Yeah, no. My Will save is higher than my Concentration by a good four points right now.

As for losing the buckler, unless something epic happens, I'll never lose it on purpose. I'll have to look up what weapon focuses I can take from these.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #397 on: January 14, 2010, 12:42:50 AM »
Unless you have a good number of ranks in concentration in which case replace zephyr dance with moment of perfect mind.
lol Yeah, no. My Will save is higher than my Concentration by a good four points right now.

As for losing the buckler, unless something epic happens, I'll never lose it on purpose. I'll have to look up what weapon focuses I can take from these.
On second thought replace wind stride with distracting ember, it is more useful for you.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #398 on: January 14, 2010, 12:48:26 AM »
Q101 Are there any simple ways to turn a Bludgeoning weapon into slashing? But still look mostly Bludgeoning? Like, knives I could glue to the hammer?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #399 on: January 14, 2010, 12:52:44 AM »
Q101 Are there any simple ways to turn a Bludgeoning weapon into slashing? But still look mostly Bludgeoning? Like, knives I could glue to the hammer?
Morphing Item Property would work by turning the weapon into a slashing weapon, it is a +1 quality from MIC.