Author Topic: Arcane Armorwearing and Build Feedback  (Read 1654 times)

Venia

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Arcane Armorwearing and Build Feedback
« on: December 31, 2009, 11:28:21 PM »
Hey all. I'm currently involved in a gestalt game of the World's Largest Dungeon, going from level one to twenty. As you can see from the title, I'm trying to figure out how to wear my armor and retain casting abilities. Here's my build:

Cloistered Cleric of Boccob//Swordsage/Sorcerer/Jade Phoenix Mage

Right now, I'm going back and forth between two or one in swordsage for the wis to AC. So here's my question. How can I wear decent armor to get my AC pretty high. The DM's going to be throwing a LOT at us, so I want to be prepared.

So, basic ideas. How's my build? Any minor changes? I want to keep the build virtually the same and keep cheese down as much as possible. Right now, I'm trying to reduce MAD as much as possible for a cleric//arcane caster. Wisdom/Strength/Charisma is what I'm doing now with 38 point buy. My stats are (as a Desert Dwarf) STR: 15, DEX: 6, CON: 13, INT: 8, WIS: 17, CHA: 16         
I'm trying to straddle the very fine line between straight-up cheese and a good character. The DM has already approved that specific build I mentioned, but I'm open to change to make this better. Any ideas and basic optimization info? (anything's applicable [without cheese], races, class changes, items, feats, anything)

For feats I'm thinking about taking DMM and a couple good metamagic feats that'll apply to both sides of the gestalt well.

So, I eagerly await your feedback, and thanks!

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
Re: Arcane Armorwearing and Build Feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 11:49:37 PM »
Interesting...

Can I assume you will only be wearing light armour? That makes a big difference, as their's less ASF to negate. Since WLD doesn't have a magic shop you can't be guaranteed mithril armour. Using still spell would work, but eats higher level slots, I've been toying with using Versatile Caster + Still Spell but it basically halves your spells per day.

You could also dip one level in prestige Bard, which will get you casting in light armour. You'd want to get perform as a class skill, you can do that with a feat or a strategically timed dip into another class or you'll have to wait until level 13. Their are also two feats from the Pathfinder book but they are kind of lame.

Lastly their's the option to be a Battle Sorcerer, this lets you cast in light armour but you lose a spell known per level and a spell per day per level, so it's probably the worst choice.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 12:50:10 AM »
Also, the Twilight enhancement (MIC, BoED) cuts your ASF by 10%. I think it only applies to light armour, though, but don't quote me on that.

Venia

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 02:27:00 AM »
During my google trawling I found something interesting, the Runesmith. You prepare arcane spellcasting as "runes" which allow you to eschew somatic components. Additionally, at the fifth level of the 5/5 PrC, you get the ability to sacrifice a spell slot to use one of your spells known as a SLA. Interesting. Not really what I'm looking for though.

So, the prestige bard? Unfortunately that costs me another caster level. Thankfully though, it looks like our DM may be adding something he calls "lantern archons", basically shopkeepers. We'll see if I can get mithril armor from there. It look like I'm not going to get 9th level casting on the arcane side, but I guess that's ok if I make up for it on the divine side. Plus the sorcerer side is looking more like utility to me right now. Though with spontaneous casting I could probably throw out a fireball or two if needed. ;)

Any good feat ideas? I'm not sure what I should get, tbh. I'll have a decent amount of melee and tanking capability thanks to my swordsage dip, but other than DMM and a meta-magic spell or two I've got no ideas.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 02:30:00 AM »
hmn, since WLD is *dark* down there (or so says Aiden), maybe those shadow armors that have no ASF in darkness?  See TOM.

*is also applying to that game*

wackodraco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 04:08:22 PM »
You're a Desert Dwarf!
Runesmith for profit, as previously stated.
In terms of casting in Armor, Runesmith is the 500 pound gorilla.
The Rune Magic class allows you to prepare a spell as a rune, and sans the material component. You cannot, however, use Eschew Material to avoid the Rune itself.
If your build is tight, dip one level- requires heavy armor prof, scribe scroll, 1st level arcane spells, and some etc. skill points, in addition to being a dwarf. No problem.
If you have room, take as many levels as you can- Full casting, two good saves (Fort and will), and the class abilities are useful; Share Rune is niiiiiiiiice, Permanent Rune is interesting too. The class has almost no weak points, and if you can get your BAB somewhere else, makes an excellent gish.
"Go. Hunt. Kill illithids."

Venia

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 09:37:11 PM »
The only problem with that is 1) the heavy armor requirement (which I could get by dipping a level of crusader instead of the second spellsage) (which also gets me another manuever list, interesting) and 2) takes away the benefit of spontaneous casting. But still, it's not like I have much variety in spontaneous casting with not that many spells known.

How early can I take it? With the Cloistered Cleric fueling my skill points, I have a decent amount. (6 or something like that). I'll most definitely take scribe scroll, it's always handy.