Author Topic: Pets!  (Read 23703 times)

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
Re: Pets!
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2008, 03:58:21 AM »
the pictures don't give good perspective, but Reeve is the smallest of the three, roseas and smithis are larger.  Lady is about half grown, and she's only slightly smaller than Prince, who is adult.  (In the tarantula world, females tend to be larger, and live longer.  When you add in the fact that smithis are endangered and can't be harvested from the wild, you have a valuable spider on your hands if it's female and of breeding age.  Lady, when fully grown, will be worth several hundred dollars.  I'm not going to sell her though, I'm going to find males and breed her, then sell the slings.)
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2008, 04:56:00 AM »
My friend had a pet roseas tarantula named Rosey once. It bit her. Probably because it hated its name.

I love the name Lidda, btw.

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
CountArioch is the man
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2008, 05:12:23 AM »
Roseas tend to be more chill than other species.  However, they will bite you if they feel threatened.

Prince is slightly grumpier than normal.  He's never tried to bite me, but he becomes very unhappy when I invade his living space.  He's thrown up threat displays more than once.

Reeve has tried to rip a paintbrush out of my hand.  I was using it to encourage him to walk a certain way.  So he turned around, grabbed the paintbrush in his fangs, and started pulling.  You'd be surprised how strong those little buggers are. 

And that is why you always use something to nudge a tarantula until you know how they react.

I'm thinking of acquiring a new one in the near future.  I have the three most common species in the pet trade, and I'm wanting to spread out to something more exotic.  I'm thinking Nhandu chromatus
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 05:14:41 AM by CountArioch »

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
Re: CountArioch is the man
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2008, 06:48:39 AM »
And that is why you always use something to nudge a tarantula until you know how they react.

And that is why I only nudge them with things that aren't my fingers.  I've held a tarantula in my hands a couple of times. It's not that weird. I think holding the hissing cockroach was worse... or the damn milipede that'd shit on me every two seconds. That fucker hated me. He was fine with everyone else, just not me. I guess it was my perfume or something?

But yeah, the spiders were ok. Although Rosey... Rosey was just mean and angry. I never held Rosey just cause it would either get pissed and fling hair everywhere or bite. Gently sweeping Rosey into another container was my method for transporting it. I think it was the smart method.

And that new spider is pretty cool looking.

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2008, 10:57:08 PM »
In first grade, our class got a visit from a local pet store, and this guy brought in some gargantuan spider, no idea what it was. But that's not the important part of the story. The spider got aggravated, shot some hair stuff into the guy's eyes, and he started screaming and trashing around the place. Me, being in first grade screamed as well of course. His eyes got all weird, and started to turn completely black, all of it, even the white part. Needless to say, it's one of those good old childhood trauma stories that I like to tell when someone brings up large spiders.. CountArioch, any idea what kind of spider would do that? I have very little knowledge of spiders.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2008, 12:58:06 AM »
Could be any of literally thousands of species.

Most new world tarantulas do that when threatened though.  I've been tagged on several occasions, just not in the face. 

Have any idea of what it looked like (color, size, and so forth?)  If you narrow it down just a bit more, I can come up with a possible ID.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2008, 05:04:55 AM »
Krush3r then

Krush3r now

Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

rivercityjessie

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2008, 05:51:37 AM »
Well MFLabias just stole my thunder because he posted pictures of my/our dog, Krush3r.  Yes his name actually has a 3 in it (except the vet couldn't wrap her head around the concept so we let her use an "e").

I'm sure most of you hate chihuahuas.  That's the first thing everybody says when they hear I have one.  I hated chihuahuas before I got him.  I wanted a daschund.  But if you could just meet this dog, you would understand.  I love this dog soooo much now.

He got hit by a car awhile ago, after somebody at a house party of mine left the door open, and somehow didn't get squished.  I had to drive from louisville to indianapolis to get him surgery.  In the end the injury cost around $4000. 
Here he is the day I picked him back up from indianapolis:

And yes, he has a myspace.    http://www.myspace.com/xkrush3rx

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2008, 06:40:27 AM »
He's more like a small deer with sharp teeth and a love for mexican food.
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2008, 12:07:02 PM »
Have any idea of what it looked like (color, size, and so forth?)  If you narrow it down just a bit more, I can come up with a possible ID.

You know, it's been so long, it's hard to remember. I know it had reddish brown hairs, but that's about it. I'll see if any of my other friends remember any better than I do.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2008, 04:06:52 PM »

You know, it's been so long, it's hard to remember. I know it had reddish brown hairs, but that's about it. I'll see if any of my other friends remember any better than I do.

o_O

http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/files/images/theraphosa_blondi_hand.jpg ?

If so, that pet store owner needs to get smacked.  You don't show a tarantula like that to unpredictable schoolkids.  Especially one that's notorious for flinging hair around at the slightest provocation, and is famous for how harsh the hair is.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2008, 01:54:30 PM »
Haha! That's it! So much for the guy being a "highly experienced" spider handler, huh? But their was another guy off to the side who hadn't been too sure about the whole thing of showing this spider to kids. Thankfully he caught it quite quickly, before it got to any of the kids.

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »
LOL Everyone hates chihuahuas until they get one...

Krusher looks like a badass though. He survived a friggin car!

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2008, 11:07:59 PM »
Cars are easy. It's when pets survive *people*, that's when we know they are bad-ass  :o

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2008, 12:30:24 AM »
Here's another shot of River. LINK
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2008, 02:01:24 AM »
He look do much like my own dog, Titan when he was a puppy. Well that was a long time ago, since he is 15, survived a cancer, has some trouble with hips and suffer from cataract. He is my little retard (he is an idiot, a shame for dogs for sure) but we love him :)

SillyRobot

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2008, 11:46:37 PM »

Stymied by the fake mouse, Rocky decides to revert back to his pure energy form.

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2008, 08:39:46 AM »
Here's another shot of River. LINK
Looks like a model in that picture.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2008, 10:31:21 AM »

Stymied by the fake mouse, Rocky decides to revert back to his pure energy form.

Basement cat!!!!!!

Shewolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2008, 03:14:12 AM »
Aww, no one else has a tortoise?

The only pet I've got now is a red-footed tortoise, and he's a real cutie pie.
I've finally decided on a name for him (it's taken me long enough, ive had him in my care for a year now). I'm calling him Galapago, which is quechua for tortoise (yes, im that original).
He's a lazy little bastard, and i've actually watched him pull a plate of food to himself rather than walking to the plate.

Also, on an unrelated note, hi bobismyrhino!