Author Topic: Gold Box (& other old D&D CRPGs)  (Read 1320 times)

yellerSumner

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Gold Box (& other old D&D CRPGs)
« on: December 16, 2009, 04:19:03 AM »
Pool of Radiance was my gateway to D&D.
Completely kicked my ass when I first tried to play it. I wasn't familiar with RPGs and I wasn't familiar with the concept of buying equipment before killing things at that point....
I still haven't beaten it yet.

Anyone else played any of the Gold Box games? Still play?
Any suggestions for a strong party?

Edit: Any other old D&D based computer games that are good?
I hear a lot about Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights being good already, so I'm a bit more interested in hearing about ones that aren't them.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:57:16 PM by yellerSumner »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Gold Box
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:40:08 AM »
I've barely played the Gold Box Games.  I was too lazy to read the instructions, so I never got the hang of the controls.  Those are all 2E games, right?  It's been about eight years since I've played 2E, and I wasn't really into optimization back then.

Most RPG computer games I played were Eye of the Beholder (I think the first "3D" RPG), and Dark Designs 1 & 2, which have strong D&D roots.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

yellerSumner

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Gold Box
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 04:50:39 PM »
I'm not really sure if they're 1st or 2nd edition AD&D. They don't say 2e on them. I'm not sure if there were any big changes between the editions that would affect the gameplay included in the Gold Box games though.

I'm not sure I've heard of Dark Designs before.
Unfortunately, my experience with Eye of the Beholder is limited to the GBA port. I don't know how well it was adapted, but I didn't really like playing it on the GBA. I'd be willing to give the PC version a try sometime though.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: Gold Box (& other old D&D CRPGs)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 05:33:46 PM »
Edit: Any other old D&D based computer games that are good?
I hear a lot about Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights being good already, so I'm a bit more interested in hearing about ones that aren't them.

Planescape: Torment.

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Gold Box (& other old D&D CRPGs)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:22:57 AM »
The updated Temple of Elemental Evil was pretty good, but buggy as hell and crashed all the time.  Same goes for Icewind Dale I and II.