Author Topic: Spontaneous Wizard Casting  (Read 7847 times)

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Spontaneous Wizard Casting
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 01:54:34 PM »
Items:The Rainment of the Four set from MIC lets you swap prepared spells for teleport/magic missle/fire ball/Freedom of movement (even if they aren't on your class list! As we are talking about Wizards here, that equals you banned the school). Fireball for some reason has a fixed DC (unlike the rest) though.

If you banned it you can't cast the spells even if the item gave you the ability to.

Nope, Druids can explicitly use them. Banning a school removes it's spells from your class list. The reason they are recomended to Dread Necro and co is the spells don't need to be on your class list.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 03:01:43 PM »

And if you don't want a DMG in your head you'll restrict it to spells you know.
+1  Got banned from a game because someone else claimed the broken interpretation (which I never meant to use).

Grr.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 03:21:27 PM »

And if you don't want a DMG in your head you'll restrict it to spells you know.
+1  Got banned from a game because someone else claimed the broken interpretation (which I never meant to use).

Grr.

I managed to talk my DM to using the original wording but limiting it to sorcerer/wizard spells. It is probably the most useful ACF ever printed.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 03:23:32 PM by Havok4 »

DerWille

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2010, 03:44:46 PM »
A single level dip into bard, then sublime chord (advancing wizard levels). Voila.

How can Sublime Chord advance Wizard levels, since SC has its own casting progression?
Complete Arcane, page 61:

"A Sublime Chord's caster level is determined for both her sublime chord spells and the spells she gains from other arcane spellcasting classes is determined by adding her sublime chord level to her level in another arcane spellcasting class. If she had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a sublime chord, she must choose to which class to add her sublime chord levels for the purpose of determining her sublime chord caster level."

Also, there's a feat that allows you to change your spellcasting stat. Change your Cha to Int, so...

Whoah, what feat is that? And where can I find it?

dougch

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 04:55:33 PM »
ditto on the replacement of castign stat feat location

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 05:04:06 PM »
Academic Priest and Dynamic Priest from some Dragonlance book, I think. They make a Cleric's casting stat Int or Cha, respectively. I'm not sure off the top of my head if they replace it completely or just for spells/day and DC.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 05:47:29 PM »
Academic Priest and Dynamic Priest from some Dragonlance book, I think. They make a Cleric's casting stat Int or Cha, respectively. I'm not sure off the top of my head if they replace it completely or just for spells/day and DC.
Spells per day and maximum spell level but not DC, and it is from the legends of the twins class and it works with any divine spellcasting class.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
Quote from: Complete Arcane

My version of the complete arcane specifies a Sublime Chord only advances caster level, not spells per day. Is this in an errata or FAQ somewhere or do we have different versions of this book?

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 11:29:24 PM »
I managed to talk my DM to using the original wording but limiting it to sorcerer/wizard spells. It is probably the most useful ACF ever printed.

Agreed, considering that while I love divination spells, I never could bear memorising them in slots which could otherwise be used for generally more useful spells.  :)
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Naldor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 01:32:54 AM »
Surprised no one has posted this yet:

Hathran + Acorn of Far Travel.  Use Dweomercheater + free wishes to make the acorn permanent.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 05:30:10 AM »
Quote from: Complete Arcane

My version of the complete arcane specifies a Sublime Chord only advances caster level, not spells per day. Is this in an errata or FAQ somewhere or do we have different versions of this book?

It *doesn't* advance spellcasting.  It has it's own spellcasting.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 04:29:56 PM »
Oops, I miss read Lycanthromancer's post please disregard.