Author Topic: Any Vampire oWoD lovers?  (Read 8103 times)

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
Any Vampire oWoD lovers?
« on: December 29, 2009, 12:50:05 PM »
I'd like to start - or participate in a oWoD by-post campaign. I've tried before, but probably the restrictions turned people off. Please post if you're interested.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
Re: Any Vampire oWoD lovers?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 05:12:22 PM »
Just started getting into it (with the Dresden Files books), would love to play it!

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 05:18:45 PM »
I could always go for some oWoD, got plenty of characters in mind.
If this goes somewhere, colour me interested :D
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 07:09:31 PM »
I was thinking starting it in the Dark Ages! What do you think about that?

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 10:20:18 PM »
 :o
 :plot
 :plotting

I've never played Dark Ages to be honest, but I'd love to give it a go.
I don't have the specific Dark Ages books, just the following:

[insert profanities]

My pdf's are gone.

I'll get back to you if I can find some of the ones I need.
Bloody hell, they must have went into the trashbin for under-usage not more than a month ago.
Ah life, you like to mess with me sometimes. Bastard.

+++UPDATE+++

Seems as if I've gotten lucky :)
I take it that we're supposed to use the Dark Ages supplements instead of the regular ones then?
Personally, I can play either era.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:13:37 AM by Shadowhunter »
[Spoiler]
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 06:44:10 AM »
+++UPDATE+++

Seems as if I've gotten lucky :)
I take it that we're supposed to use the Dark Ages supplements instead of the regular ones then?
Personally, I can play either era.

Basically, we need:

Dark Ages: Vampire
Guide to the High Clans
Guide to the Low Clans
Road of (Heaven, Sin, Humanity, Beast, Kings)
Storyteller's Companion

The top three are good enough to make any character.

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:28:17 PM »
Rare to find people wanting to play Dark Ages, count me in. Would love more details though.
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 02:17:25 AM »
This will be my first time as a vamp (or even playing WoD), but count me in. Tips would, of course, be greatly appreciated though.

What's the "restrictions" Dm?

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 07:10:47 AM »
This will be my first time as a vamp (or even playing WoD), but count me in. Tips would, of course, be greatly appreciated though.

What's the "restrictions" Dm?

There will be little to no combat, unless of course you provoke it. So, prefer an "intellectual" approach to your characters. You can be any clan you want, except Baali (Storyteller's Handbook) and Lhiannan (Storyteller's Companion) due to their roleplaying difficulties.

Available Books

Vampire Dark Ages
Player's Guide to High Clans
Player's Guide to Low Clans
Storyteller's Companion
Road of Beast
Road of Heaven
Road of Humanity
Road of Kings
Road of Sins

Disciplines

Roll reductions: With the introduction of new books, there are quite a few ways of reducing a discipline's difficulty dramatically. Because this is no fun at all, from now on the only way to reduce a discipline's difficulties is by using the merit "Discipline Prodigy" (for a -1 on all rolls regarding that discipline) and only that. Also, you can never get automatic successes on a discipline roll (the only exception is by spending willpower) through merits, flaws or any other ability.

Banned Merits/Flaws:

Territorial, amnesia, vengeful, hand of hades, harbringer of the abyss, thirst of caine. Extreme flaws.
True love, devotion, destined for greatness. Because they grant automatic successes.
Enlightened, personal aura, unshockable, innocent. Easy ways to reduce difficulties.
Cathartic fury, soul eater. Merits that easily replenish your willpower pool.
Iron will, unimpressed, promethean clay, sanctifying kiss. Too powerful in my opinion.
Obsessive savant, powerful gaze. Again, because of the easy difficulty reduction.
While not banned, efficient digestion does not create a bonus point of blood drank from nothing. It draws an additional point of blood from the victim for every 2 normally consumed
The ability aptitude merit is only allowed once per character and only on a non-combat abilities. That means no ability aptitude with melee, brawl and that stuff.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 07:22:56 PM »
There will be little to no combat, unless of course you provoke it. So, prefer an "intellectual" approach to your characters. You can be any clan you want, except Baali (Storyteller's Handbook) and Lhiannan (Storyteller's Companion) due to their roleplaying difficulties.

Well, that halved the amount of characters I could play.
Fortunetly, this also means I have a whole half left :D

Gangrel, Nosferatu and Assamite went out of the window.
Cappadosians and Tzimisce was never an option.
Salubri..not really. I don't fancy being hunted to extinction.
Other ones not mentioned:
Not familiar enough to play, have no interest.

...actually, I can't ever say no to the possibility of playing a Nosferatu.
So that's not out of the question yet.

Either Malkavian, Lasombra, Ventrue, Brujah or Toreador. Perhaps even Tremere, if I feel daring.
My username and picture might give an inclination to what clan I owe my biggest allegiance :rollseyes
Gah, so many disciplines to choose :lmao

Something I think you'll agree upon based on the restrictions you have set:
Multiple personalities do not have different sheets.

MP have the fun little text that the different personalities can belive themselves to be of a different clan and even have different skills and disciplines, but it all comes down to the Storyteller.
Whilst I would allow this shennanigans with disciplines in some cases, this does not seem to be one of them.

At least not for Attributes and Disciplines, perhaps some variation in skills?

I take it we're using the normal rules for Character Creation found in the book?
What age/generation so to speak, how much more -if any- stuff can we have than the normal vampires constructed by the "point limit" ?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:18:37 PM by Shadowhunter »
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 08:15:04 PM »
It is unfortunate that the rules and game style are of such.

I apologise, but I am dropping out.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 07:56:11 AM »

Either Malkavian, Lasombra, Ventrue, Brujah or Toreador. Perhaps even Tremere, if I feel daring.
My username and picture might give an inclination to what clan I owe my biggest allegiance :rollseyes

Something I think you'll agree upon based on the restrictions you have set:
Multiple personalities do not have different sheets.

MP have the fun little text that the different personalities can belive themselves to be of a different clan and even have different skills and disciplines, but it all comes down to the Storyteller.
Whilst I would allow this shennanigans with disciplines in some cases, this does not seem to be one of them.

At least not for Attributes and Disciplines, perhaps some variation in skills?

I take it we're using the normal rules for Character Creation found in the book?
What age/generation so to speak, how much more -if any- stuff can we have than the normal vampires constructed by the "point limit" ?

About multiple personalities: i'm ok with you having different sheets, just don't overdo it. I'm rulling you can have different mental and social (except appearance) attributes and different skills (except maybe "physical" talents, like athletics). I'm a little sceptical about disciplines, because they are linked to the blood and not exactly to the mind. However, if you really want to have different disciplines i'm ok. The only real restriction is that you have to be on the same road on either personality.

Yes, use the character creation in the book. Dots: 7/5/3 in attributes, 13/9/5 in skills, 5 backgrounds, 4 disciplines, 7 virtues, 15-22 freebie points (15 standard and the rest with flaws).

In dark ages you start off at 12th generation without any points in the generation background. You can reach 7th if you get 5 points in the background.

Also, about the "little to no combat" - vampire is not d&d :p. I'm not going to say no playing through a combat scene for you guys (if you want to wage war against the Ventrue or the Tzimisce or whatever), but chances of you doing the actual fighting are pretty slim (again, i'm not going to say "you can't do that" - it's just what "normal" vampires would do). Baali where left out because they share something like a "hive mind" and they are not exactly free to do as they choose. Lhiannan have a terrible clan weakness, making them unable to leave their grove for an extended period of time.

It is unfortunate that the rules and game style are of such.

I apologise, but I am dropping out.

That's too bad :(
Good luck!

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 11:37:50 AM »

About clan choices, there is a bloodline of gangrel with auspex instead of fortitude. Animalism, auspex and protean are all very useful disciplines. Moreover, there are assamite sorcerers with quietus, auspex and thaumaturgy.
I love lasombra, too :p
(But i hate brujah :p)

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
About multiple personalities: i'm ok with you having different sheets, just don't overdo it. I'm rulling you can have different mental and social (except appearance) attributes and different skills (except maybe "physical" talents, like athletics). I'm a little sceptical about disciplines, because they are linked to the blood and not exactly to the mind. However, if you really want to have different disciplines i'm ok. The only real restriction is that you have to be on the same road on either personality.

Now this is just heaps of awesomness :D

There must be plenty of awesome stuff that can be done with this.

I'll give this some serious thought.

Also, about the "little to no combat" - vampire is not d&d . I'm not going to say no playing through a combat scene for you guys (if you want to wage war against the Ventrue or the Tzimisce or whatever), but chances of you doing the actual fighting are pretty slim (again, i'm not going to say "you can't do that" - it's just what "normal" vampires would do).
No, Vampire is most certainly not D&D :D

But that's no problem, since you play different systems for different experiences.
'twould be pretty pointless to do the same thing in all games, right?

Thing is that I've played WoD with testosterone-filled teenagers and under meticoulos and thourough players, one which had a mild version of Aspbergers. So I was prepared for any condition.

And trust me, if I'm going on a crusade against anything, it will be against the Followers of Set regardless of clan, the Baali unless I'm Tremere and the two last if I know any Salubris.

About clan choices, there is a bloodline of gangrel with auspex instead of fortitude. Animalism, auspex and protean are all very useful disciplines. Moreover, there are assamite sorcerers with quietus, auspex and thaumaturgy.

I'm afraid I'm in the camp that thinks Animalism tend to be a little underwhelming for the resources invested.
The assamite sorcerer is a nice concept, but I really have to cut down on the options here or I'll never be able to make a choice :lmao

Current thought is a Toreador with multiple personalities.

I love lasombra, too
(But i hate brujah )

Lasombra rule.
Litterally. :devil
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 02:50:47 AM »
I had wanted to create a medieval Lasombra James Bond, but this all talking game in pbp format will drag on and on, hence killing any interest.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 09:43:16 PM »
Oh wow, I've got a lot of reading to do....

So, to get a jump start, what suggestions, if we're to work as a group? I was thinking of a Ventrue, or perhaps a Malkavian, though they could gte complicated fast. I just like the idea of an intelligent (or at least witty), charismatic vampire, especially if we're to avoid combat and excel in roleplaying.

So far, done the basic skills (sort of) and attributes (I take it the attributes 7/5/3 includes the starting one dot in each). Remember, this is my first time with this system; I'm fine with the rp aspect, but please be patient with me for the stats!  :bigeye :)

Edit: Also, just realized mythweavers sheet doesn't for the game at hand, as some bits can't be modified...

Also realized that my roomie's husband played NWoD, so I have to go get a book or two... sigh... still interested, just gotta take my time! Also, hunt friends with larger libraries than mine...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:54:59 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 09:08:20 AM »
Oh wow, I've got a lot of reading to do....

So, to get a jump start, what suggestions, if we're to work as a group? I was thinking of a Ventrue, or perhaps a Malkavian, though they could gte complicated fast. I just like the idea of an intelligent (or at least witty), charismatic vampire, especially if we're to avoid combat and excel in roleplaying.

So far, done the basic skills (sort of) and attributes (I take it the attributes 7/5/3 includes the starting one dot in each). Remember, this is my first time with this system; I'm fine with the rp aspect, but please be patient with me for the stats!  :bigeye :)

Edit: Also, just realized mythweavers sheet doesn't for the game at hand, as some bits can't be modified...

Also realized that my roomie's husband played NWoD, so I have to go get a book or two... sigh... still interested, just gotta take my time! Also, hunt friends with larger libraries than mine...

Don't worry, first read the dark ages: vampire book. The rest are useful, but entirely optional. The system is pretty easy to understand, once you've figured out your clan and road.

Yeah, we'll have a problem with the sheets for oWoD :( i haven't found a site yet that enables you to save oWoD sheets like myth-weavers, but i've found interactive character sheets.

Until now, it's just you and shadowhunter. We can start with just you two, but three players would be best.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »
@thread title: sorry, not a necrophiliac. :P
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
@thread title: sorry, not a necrophiliac. :P

Get out of here you troll :p!

//edit: and go post something in the CharOp game thread :p

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 12:12:17 PM »
Bump! Let's see if there's any new interest.