Author Topic: The Ashen Convenant  (Read 2316 times)

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
The Ashen Convenant
« on: June 12, 2008, 12:47:34 AM »
The Ashen Convenant

As the first real example of the new Dragon, what do you guys think?

I think it's great.  A good mix of fluff, adventure hooks, quests, monsters, items, and everything to really flesh out the Cult.

And besides, Wraithblade + Daggermaster = sexy.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:54:03 AM by heffroncm »

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
Re: The Ashen Convenant
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 01:30:32 AM »
Indeed; very nice stuff. I'll be grabbing the quest hooks to use as quest skeletons for my own campaign at least, and the 3 new monsters are nice. To be honest, though, the sadistic DM in me can't wait to run the two epic-tier NPCs against my group.  :fan

And it bears mentioning for the I-don't-know-eth time, but whoever came up with turning the layout 90 degrees deserves a pat on the back, a gaint F-ing cookie, or a raise. Or any combination thereof.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 02:57:56 AM »
That Wraithblade is pretty awesome for Rogues or anyone multiclassed into it, especially if you're a Dagger Master. Damn, not sure if Dagger Master with Wraithblades or Lightning Arc and Lightning Weapons is more awesome.

Disrupting Weapon is kind of like a Holy Avenger lite in that it is both a weapon and an implement.

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 03:25:43 AM »
Oh, trust me, the Daggermaster is better.

Because, you see, he multiclassed into ranger.

And took Blade Cascade.
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

EntropicShadow

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Doth thou desire power?
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 04:17:34 AM »
I was pretty impressed with the article as a whole.  Well written with interesting content.  Wraithblades and disrupting weapons caught my eye as great weapons, almost must have.  And I am so happy they brought back the Eye of Fear and Flame.  I have a fondness for them due to OotS. 
'Cause I'm a bit part demon, a small-time misfit
I say you'll be "Dead by Dawn" but I don't really mean it.
I'm a threat to no one. The other deadites make fun...
You suck!
Of me, Evil Eddy,the bit part demon

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 04:49:29 AM »
The designers really seem intent on making sure that Orcus gets to see play some day. Keep on the Shadowfell revolved around his cults, as does this latest article. Maybe the intent is to create one long, memorable adventure for the players, similar to MM5?
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Commx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 06:07:26 AM »
Hmm, no love for the Ashgaunt? A monster that can summon a group of minions once every 3-4 turns sounds good to me, although the minions are only Lvl3. (The Ashgaunt's Aura solves this though, by effectively increasing the Minions to Lvl5 or Lvl7) I think a nice encounter for a level 6-7 party would be 3 Ashgaunts, with the rest of the XP budget filled with Zombie Rotters. (For a Lvl6 party, that would be 3 Ashgaunts and 12 Minions at 1272Xp, only 22 points over the 'standard encounter')

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 10:00:25 AM »
The designers really seem intent on making sure that Orcus gets to see play some day. Keep on the Shadowfell revolved around his cults, as does this latest article. Maybe the intent is to create one long, memorable adventure for the players, similar to MM5?

I'm pretty sure the adventures they are printing are meant to be a full connected adventure path culminating with a showdown with Orcus.  It's actually a kind of fun idea: release a monster manual, and then spend the next year putting out an adventure path that leads to an Epic battle with the biggest bad-guy in the manual.