Author Topic: Deathstalkers The Fantasy-Horror Role-Playing Game  (Read 1678 times)

Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Deathstalkers The Fantasy-Horror Role-Playing Game
« on: December 28, 2009, 09:43:46 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of this game? I got a gift card for Yule and I have ordered  a copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Deathstalkers-Fantasy-Horror-Role-Playing-Game-nd/dp/0971768404/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262004015&sr=8-1

Alea_Iacta_Est

• Unfortunate Writer
    • Laughing Jack Wilton
    • Email
Re: Deathstalkers The Fantasy-Horror Role-Playing Game
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 07:43:25 PM »
It is insanely fun. There are an ass load of choices for every step of character creation (200 skills), combat allows you to kick ass and uses a point system, there are over 300 spells, and the horror/insanity system is very well done for a fantasy setting. It is a big book with 600 pages, but it is all useful and there is a very helpful and detailed table of context and index.

The way the game plays there are light hearted and engaging parts accented by terrific, horrific, and serious moments. For extended play you start to care for your character very much to say the least. You get to go to an asylum and role-play your character talking to a shrink.

It isn't for everyone, but it is a fun game for those who like fantasy horror and it is actually made for fantasy horror, unlike d20. This game feels perfectly at home in Ravenloft. I would go as far to say that Ravenloft has been waiting for this game.
Seldom Affirm, Never Deny, Always Distinguish
My Gaming Blog, Reviews, and Design at: Laughing Jack Wilton
The Barely Legal Podcast: An AP Podcast From The Wednesday Night Gamers

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:59:21 PM »
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:20:54 PM »
Apparently there's a sequel:
http://www.cuttersguild.com/deathstalkers.htm

I shutter the think how bad it is... I did not favorably review the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaPu3RuiF4U

Alea_Iacta_Est

• Unfortunate Writer
    • Laughing Jack Wilton
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 09:12:33 PM »
Hey, cannibalism is a cool stat. Where else have you found this? It is strange, but it is cool. I know that the layout and writing/editing sucks, but everything is there.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:18:33 PM by Alea_Iacta_Est »
Seldom Affirm, Never Deny, Always Distinguish
My Gaming Blog, Reviews, and Design at: Laughing Jack Wilton
The Barely Legal Podcast: An AP Podcast From The Wednesday Night Gamers

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 01:36:52 AM »
Hey, cannibalism is a cool stat. Where else have you found this? It is strange, but it is cool. I know that the layout and writing/editing sucks, but everything is there.

But cannibalism isn't a genetic trait. It can be a cultural trait and it is a survival option. But it isn't genetic. If a species preferred it's own kind as a food source, it would die off. It just strikes me as blatantly absurd. *Anyone* pushed far enough can find themselves contemplating cannibalism. It doesn't matter how they were raised or where they are from. It just seems to be one of the most useless racial traits I have ever encountered in a role-playing game.