Author Topic: Abusing Extract Gift  (Read 10154 times)

Tenebrous Apostate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Abusing Extract Gift
« on: December 23, 2009, 11:31:08 PM »
For those of you that don't know the spell named "extract gift" let me fill you in quickly. It is a 5th level Necromany spell from Findish Codex 1 (armys of the Abyss) that alows a caster to take a bound or willing demon and impart fragments oh the demon's abilities or skill ranks as permanent bonuses in another creatures abilities or skills. The Demon if non-willing can resist the spell via SR or a will save (of wich the DC can elevate by giving the demon subtle influence over the mortal recipient). The problem I recently bypassed is that of the obscene material component and xp cost requirments (by spell stiching the spell of course  :P). Now I have some issuse I'd like to talk about. First of all doe anyone have any idea if the same demon can be used more than once (the spell does not clarify. I guess with such hefty components someone thought it won't be much used)? How can I convince demons to be "willing" to participate in the spell? and as a matter of fact wich demons do you suggest I use? I have a few ideas but I'd love o hear your thoughts on the matter. Pls people.. feel free to go crazy  :smirk
Dead mortals feel no Dread

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Abusing Extract Gift
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 11:49:57 PM »
Why do you want the Demon to be willing? Most primary spellcasters will be able to beat their will save. Just Planar Bind the thing, and call it a day.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »
keep planar binding them until they fail the save.

Tenebrous Apostate

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 07:59:03 AM »
If the Demon is not willsing he saves for the Extract gift. To increse the DC you give th demon power over the other target of the spell. most demons have very good will saves
Dead mortals feel no Dread

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 12:26:04 PM »
+19 seems to be the highest Will Save in the SRD, for a Balor. That's not that tricky to beat, I should think, if you've got ways of increasing your save DC...

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 01:28:38 AM »
To be more accurate regarding the above, a 9th level Wizard should easily be able to get an Int of 28. This translates to a save DC of 24, for a 5th level spell.

If a Balor's Will save is +19, he'll need to roll 5 or above to save, ie he'll fail his save 25% of the time. Cast the spell 5 times in a row, and he'll fail it around 76% of the time.

Of course you won't be binding Balors at 9th level, since you'll only be able to bind creatures of up to 6HD. From the SRD, the Demon with 6HD or under that has the highest will save is the Succubus, which has a Will save of +7. Ie, our lovely Succubus subject needs to roll 17 or above to save. Chances are she'll fail.

In fact, given that Planar Binding only goes up to creatures of 18HD, you'll never need to worry about something like a Balor anyways, unless you're using Gate to bring them in. A 17th level Wizard, with unlimited time to prepare, knowing exactly what they're about to do, should be unstoppable, to be blunt.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 02:02:17 AM »
To be more accurate regarding the above, a 9th level Wizard should easily be able to get an Int of 28. This translates to a save DC of 24, for a 5th level spell.

If a Balor's Will save is +19, he'll need to roll 5 or above to save, ie he'll fail his save 25% of the time. Cast the spell 5 times in a row, and he'll fail it around 76% of the time.

Of course you won't be binding Balors at 9th level, since you'll only be able to bind creatures of up to 6HD. From the SRD, the Demon with 6HD or under that has the highest will save is the Succubus, which has a Will save of +7. Ie, our lovely Succubus subject needs to roll 17 or above to save. Chances are she'll fail.

In fact, given that Planar Binding only goes up to creatures of 18HD, you'll never need to worry about something like a Balor anyways, unless you're using Gate to bring them in. A 17th level Wizard, with unlimited time to prepare, knowing exactly what they're about to do, should be unstoppable, to be blunt.

This is one more reason why the Red Wizards are scary...since they can do this at level 10 with the right feats and setup O.o
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

deuxhero

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 02:02:59 AM »
@OblivionSmurf83 There are a lot of ways to boost HD for PB, the Malconvoker and some background feat both work for it.

Actually, the The Malconvoker handbook goes into detail on how to nuke a bound creatures saves.

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 02:57:56 AM »
DeuxHero, broken link there I think, but cheers for the heads up, I'll go off and read the handbook :)

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 08:10:08 PM »
This is one more reason why the Red Wizards are scary
who's red wizard?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 02:34:43 AM »
who's red wizard?

A prestige class that gets circle magic from FR.

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 02:35:56 AM »
who's red wizard?

And for the record, mine are usually also at least Incantatrices, sometimes also SCM's.  My Halruuans are even worse though :P
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

deuxhero

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 08:59:34 PM »
DeuxHero, broken link there I think, but cheers for the heads up, I'll go off and read the handbook :)
here is a link that works

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 07:52:38 PM »
I got a chance to look at it. Nice.
Has the standard problem of being a Permanent change; it can be dispelled.
But what the heck, you're gonna do a small pile of these.
I didn't read it close enough to determine if the 20th level clauses are hard fast limits.
Looks like a +5 to each stat is within reach, so long as Planar Binding or Gate can get a Stat 30 demon to behave.
Looks like a +10 to most Skills is within reach, but not all of them.

Erudite Spell to Power can use Linked Power to do both Extract Gift, and any Planar Binding, faster.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »
I didn't read it close enough to determine if the 20th level clauses are hard fast limits.
Looks like a +5 to each stat is within reach, so long as Planar Binding or Gate can get a Stat 30 demon to behave.

Erudite Spell to Power can use Linked Power to do both Extract Gift, and any Planar Binding, faster.

Could you take Supernatural Transformation to turn the spell-like into a supernatural ability; find a way to get an SLA of an Irresistible Extract Gift. Then laugh as your Supernatural Ability goes through any and every defense they have.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 06:02:03 PM »

Could you take Supernatural Transformation to turn the spell-like into a supernatural ability; find a way to get an SLA of an Irresistible Extract Gift. Then laugh as your Supernatural Ability goes through any and every defense they have.
Irresitiable is updated to just add 10 to the DC.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 06:10:31 PM »

Irresitiable is updated to just add 10 to the DC.

Awwwwww. Oh, well, at least you get to laugh at the massive costs the thing requires.

Too bad Outsiders don't sleep. Is there a way to make them sleep?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 06:44:40 PM »
Even if they don't sleep, they know what the concept is, from all those fun corruptions they did.
Suggestion or Charm or better, can get them to act it, in essence having the same effect.

+10 to DC ... sigh ... not quite the thrill it used to be ...  :rollseyes

Ramaloke

• Email
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 08:01:34 PM »
The best use of extract gift is if you are a demon or your cohort/familiar/friend/cousin is a demon. Get them to agree and use the +DC effects for benefit.

Have your Demon Pal auto fail on a fully buffed extract gift, now he's got a boat load of effects to monitor the "beneficiary" of the spell.
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 01:58:46 AM »
The best use of extract gift is if you are a demon or your cohort/familiar/friend/cousin is a demon. Get them to agree and use the +DC effects for benefit.

Have your Demon Pal auto fail on a fully buffed extract gift, now he's got a boat load of effects to monitor the "beneficiary" of the spell.
They still get a save for the demand right? There are better ways of telepathy.

A competence for the skills is nice, but the enhancement bonuses are worse than a belt of magnificence (albeit cheaper). This doesn't seem awesome to me.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r