Author Topic: [P.E.A.C.H][3.5 Weapon] Gunblade (FF:Dissidia)  (Read 3159 times)

xeno121

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
[P.E.A.C.H][3.5 Weapon] Gunblade (FF:Dissidia)
« on: December 21, 2009, 05:58:16 PM »
Revolver Gunblade: (Medium;Exotic) Damage: 1d6. Critical 19-20/x2
Holds 6 rounds
Special Damage: 1d10. Critical:18-20/x3, piercing or slashing when triggering rounds.

Whenever you make an attack you can choose to pull the trigger of the Gunblade expending one round and increasing the damage as shown. 

If you lack the Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Revolver Gunblade) feat you can only trigger a round on the weapons base critical hit rate but you gain the increased damage die and multiplier on a successful critical.

If you choose to reload any expended rounds fall out of the chamber freeing room to reload new rounds in the vacated slots.

Reloading is a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity.  The feat Rapid Reload reduces this to a move action, but reloading still provokes an attack of opportunity.
--------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:45:29 AM by xeno121 »
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: [P.E.A.C.H][3.5 Weapon] Gunblade (FF:Dissidia)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:57:48 AM »
Revolver Gunblade: (Large;Exotic) Damage: 1d10. Critical:18-20/x3, Piercing or Slashing.  Special: 1d6 without rounds

I considered making a roll to see if your character times the trigger right to deal additional damage, but I'm not sure how much the damage should go up.

I wouldn't add any clunky trigger-pull mechanism to the design. As it stands it's the most elegant and sane incarnation of the Gunblade I've seen. Kudos to that.

I'm in the process of making a class based on Squall and the Gunblade is going to be part of the class, similar to the Soulknife's Mindblade.

I have my misgivings on this, but I'll voice them in the proper thread if you ever get around to posting the class.

I'm not sure on damage or crit rate.  The Jovar from the Planar Handbook is 2d6, 18-20/x2, min-max damage on the Jovar is 2-12, Gunblade is 1-10, on a crit that turns into, 4-24 and 3-30, you lose out on some base damage but your criticals hit harder.  So I don't think it's OP by any means, that's not taking into account the large amount of critical immune creatures out there.

If you want to compare this to the Jovar you're getting less base damage, but slightly more crit damage on a two-handed weapon that requires ammunition and must be reloaded after every six attacks. I'd say you could make this a one-handed weapon.

In FFVIII the Gunblade is twice as accurate as all the other weapons, I was thinking of manifesting that by lowering the crit multiplier and adding a +1 to hit, and an additional +1 for every 2 +1 equivalent enhancements present on the weapon.

"Accuracy" if it is represented in 3.5 weapons at all is represented through crit rates, and 18-20 is the most "accurate" rate there is, so I think you've got it just right as it is.

xeno121

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 11:47:05 PM »
Reloading provoking AoO's I think works to keep reloading balanced so you actually have to choose between provoking or using the reduced stats present on the weapon. 

I reduced the threat range and multiplier for attacks without triggering rounds to further differentiate the two states of the weapon.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:29:08 PM by xeno121 »
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 05:51:55 AM »
I'd say you could make this a one-handed weapon.
I agree, kinda like the bastard sword, can be one- or two-handed. Also pointing out you haven't written how you lose rounds, which I suppose could just be -1 whenever you score a critical hit (the "timing" of the trigger-pull with the strike is just represented in EWP with this weapon, I'd presume).

xeno121

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 04:26:16 PM »
I'd say you could make this a one-handed weapon.
I agree, kinda like the bastard sword, can be one- or two-handed. Also pointing out you haven't written how you lose rounds, which I suppose could just be -1 whenever you score a critical hit (the "timing" of the trigger-pull with the strike is just represented in EWP with this weapon, I'd presume).

I'll have to add that additional info.

ShneekeyTheLost