Author Topic: Need build suggestions: Manticore Belt Totemist  (Read 5492 times)

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
Need build suggestions: Manticore Belt Totemist
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM »
Firstly, the basic information:
-One-shot.
-Level 6. 32 Point Buy. 1 Flaw 1 Trait. Max HP. Fractional BAB/Saves. Normal WBL.

So far the only thing set in stone is totemist 2, and the Bonus Essentia and Improved Capacity(Name?) feats, and the focus on manticore belt. This nets 4 ranged attacks as a standard action. Sadly, 4x1d6 is pitiful, and I need a source of bonus damage. Assume Manticore Belt's attacks are ruled to be ranged natural attacks.

The obvious route is skirmish, however, as swift hunter is not an option with these levels, the value of this is diminished. Even then, taking more than 1 level seems a waste. The original plan was to play a dragonborn so as to get access to Dragonfire Strike for another 1d6, however, I'd like to ponder other options, as the DM has hinted at an undead theme.

I seem to recall someone else's build involving the Targetter Fighter and/or the Dead Eye feat. +8ish damage per attack is nice, but again, half of it is gone against undead. It also seems rather feat intensive.

An unorthodox option would be to use touch of golden ice, however this is situational.

(Also, I think a friend MIGHT be playing dragonfire bard, so this topic may be moot.... Still, hope you can give me some ideas.)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Need build suggestions: Manticore Belt Totemist
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:12:20 PM »
Rapid Assault (ToB) adds +1d6 damage to all attacks in the first round of combat. Only good at low level though, retrain later when you can't onehit people with four greatsword equivalents anymore.
Also, you might need to find some way to bypass DR with them, as zombies have DR 5/slashing and skeletons have DR 5/bludgeoning. The spikes are piercing IIRC, so you might get into trouble.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:24:10 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 05:18:16 PM »
I'd reccommend a Necklace of Natural Attacks so you can get weapon properties on there.  If you can afford it, Collision is extremely solid.  Force is another option that would let you laugh at DR.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:21:02 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:25:02 PM »
Force is another option that would let you laugh at DR.

...and nearly everything else, including incorporeal targets.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:33:21 PM »
If your DM allows this, and mind you he has every right not to, make a Weapon of legacy to merge with the maticore belt.

There;s already a WOL option for "is a mindblade", just switcharoo that for "is a soulmeld".  Start with a Belt of STR, give it a +1 weapon mod, and then make it merge with Manticore belt (this kicks in at level 7).  Than go crazy from there.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 03:58:39 AM »
...(this kicks in at level 7)...

Level 6 One-shot = No leveling = :\

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 04:36:45 AM »
Factotum 3/totemist 3 (azurin with Hidden Talent [some awesome 1st level power] as its bonus feat) with Font of Inspiration, Psicarnum Infusion, and the Craven feat? You can get +Int to attacks, saves, and damage, you can expend your psionic focus to max out any incarnum receptacle you have (including incarnum feats), and you also get sneak attack damage if you want it (including bonus damage due to Craven).

Isn't there a soulmeld that grants sneak attack somewhere, or have I gone mental?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 04:39:00 AM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 06:04:31 AM »
In an undead heavy theme it's really mostly the swift hunter that works. You CAN make one with 6 levels, it just won't have a lot of skirmish. (1d6/+1AC, IIRC).

If you have feats to spare there is always the WF(any crossbow)+that Crossbow style feat that gives 1/2 dex as bonus damage (and not precision), and then get the Aptitude weapon enhancement. However, with Level 6 WBL, this will eat a hefty chunk of cash, weapon cost is really high.

Then there's the Hit and Run Fighter, but to use him efficiently, you need to optimise initiative OR sneaking, because you can only hit flat-footed targets with the bonus damage. (Easily done with a totemist, if you have the essentia points.)

The Targetteer does precision, so he's out. Likewise actually Craven.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 08:59:16 AM »
Improved natural attack feat boost from 1d6 to 1d8. If you can boost size 1 category (enlarge Person) you get 2d6 damage. If you boost 2 size category you get 3d6.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 10:42:31 AM »
How does a totemist contend with dr? It seems like a simple dr5/evil will put a dent in his damage dealing capabilities, considering that they tend to involve multiple attacks, each dealing only a small to moderate amount of damage.  ???
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 12:18:59 PM »
Force is another option that would let you laugh at DR.

...and nearly everything else, including incorporeal targets.

Phase Cloak+Manticore Belt's Flyby Attack all ready takes care of that problem.

How does a totemist contend with dr? It seems like a simple dr5/evil will put a dent in his damage dealing capabilities, considering that they tend to involve multiple attacks, each dealing only a small to moderate amount of damage.  ???

Usually other items. DR/Magic is no problem. Aligned DR just needs a friendly caster or a simple feat (Good/Evil Devotion, etc). A Ring of Adamantine Touch takes care of that problem, and the ring can likely be adapted to other metals easily (and cheaper, as Adamantine is usually the most expensive DR to overcome).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 09:15:33 PM »
In addition, since we are on the topic on totemists, what options do they have for boosting their attack rolls?

I know they can assign essentia points to gain enhancement bonuses, but this won't stack with amulet of mighty fists. They have 3/4 bab as well. Only upside seems to be that with improved multiattack, all their natural attacks are made at their best bab.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 09:21:36 PM »
Knowledge Devotion wouldn't hurt to get, though it's certainly an investment of skill points. Lycanthromancer's factotum/totemist could make great use of it though.

Uriel_Ventris

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 01:39:22 AM »
In addition, since we are on the topic on totemists, what options do they have for boosting their attack rolls?

I know they can assign essentia points to gain enhancement bonuses, but this won't stack with amulet of mighty fists. They have 3/4 bab as well. Only upside seems to be that with improved multiattack, all their natural attacks are made at their best bab.

The amulet is not to ramp up the enhancement bonus, but rather the weapon abilities that the natural attacks gain. Things that boost damage like Collision.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 02:15:39 AM »
(Also, I think a friend MIGHT be playing dragonfire bard, so this topic may be moot.... Still, hope you can give me some ideas.)

Okay, topic is moot, but not in that way. Due to a large amount of people switching their roles around, I'm now playing Halfling Druid5/Beastmaster1. I don't think I need help on this one, but you're free to offer it. Sorry(?) for wasting your time.
(For those interested, i'm pretty much eschewing wildshape, instead riding my Bloodstriker Dinosaur mount while buffing it using Share Spells.)

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 02:49:54 AM »
For a one shot that seems like a decent build. You might want the take the halfing druid substitution levels, they are decent. Also it allows you to combine wildshaping into a very small creature to make yourself harder to hit with hiding on your animal companions back.