Author Topic: [ToB] Discipline Swaping  (Read 1388 times)

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
[ToB] Discipline Swaping
« on: December 20, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »
I'm considering this for my main game I play -- I'm already putting it into play with my girlfriend's solo game to test it out though, but as play hasn't started yet I don't know -- allowing a martial class to swap one discipline for another. For example, a warblade could swap white raven for devoted spirit or tiger claw for shadow hand. You make the choice at your first level of a martial class and it can't be rebuilt, retrained or jinkered with anyway -- essentially it creates another standard class that's slightly different. And you'd only be able to do it once -- you couldn't have shadow hand crusader and devoted spirit warblade.

What does BG think? Make it a feat? Or what should I do?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: [ToB] Discipline Swaping
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:54:40 PM »
Probably considering it as a ACF would be most appropriate.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 10:58:58 PM »
Let's see. You'd have to keep a discipline's favored skill in mind as well.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:51:04 AM »
Also bear in mind that some disciplines are more powerful than others, mostly the class-exclusive ones (see the ToB for dummies thread for info).
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:45:09 AM »
This I know, which is why I asked for opinions. Obviously trading for Devoted Spirit/Iron Heart/Diamond Mind is more beneficial than Setting Sun. However, a player might want to play a warblade or crusader who studied the Setting Sun school. Or a warblade with some ninja trickery (Shadow Hand) or a swordsage that heals himself in combat (Devoted Spirit).

I'll hold off until my girlfriend starts playing with her Devoted Spirit Warblade.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 10:38:28 AM »
The easy answer could be to either rank the disciplines in order of power (semi subjective) or perhaps put them into three tiers of power (a little less subjective), and allow a trade for another discipline of equal or lower power.  Thus, you could trade Iron Heart for Shadow Hand if you really wanted, but not the other way around. 

If the person wanted, perhaps you'd let them trade two weaker disciplines for a higher level one.  This would be a boon two sword sages who get six disciplines, three or four of which are pretty crappy.  They could keep Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw and trade for any two of Devoted Spirit, White Raven, or Iron Heart.  Of course, at that point, they might as well play a warblade for the better chassis and recovery method! :p
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]