Author Topic: Help needed for new martial discipline  (Read 1372 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Help needed for new martial discipline
« on: December 19, 2009, 08:15:05 PM »
I wanted to make a wind-based discipline inspired by Crono, Aang, and a few others, but I could use some more ideas and I'm not entirely clear on the balance of the ones I have.

Let me just show you my notes:
Rushing Gale

Rushing Gale Stance (Stance)
When you successfully bullrush an opponent and make an attack of opportunity against them for exiting your threatened space, you may choose for this attack of opportunity not to count against your limit of attacks of opportunity per round. In this case the attack is made at a -4 penalty.

Pressure Blast (Stance)
You may make use melee weapons to make ranged attacks with a range increment of 10ft. These are treated as melee attacks for all purposes.

Wind Buffet
Make a bullrush against one opponent in reach. If you succeed, your target immediately falls prone.

Blade Cyclone
Make a bullrush attempt against every opponent within reach.

Blade Cyclone, Greater
Make a bullrush attempt against every opponent out to double your normal reach.

Gust Strike (Boost)Overwhelming Gale (Boost)
For 1 round, whenever you successfully overrun an opponent you may make a free attack against them.

Updraft
Make a melee attack. If it hits, your opponent is knocked 10ft into the air.

Skylord Strike (Boost)
You gain a +4 bonus on one melee attack made against an opponent who is in midair.

Wind Shell (Stance)
You gain concealment against ranged attacks

Empyrean Aegis

Gust of wind

Whirlwind

Zephyr Foot (Boost)
For 1 round you gain a fly speed equal to your land speed with perfect manouevrability.

Zephyr Rush (Boost)
Take a move action as if you had a fly speed equal to your land speed with perfect manouevrability.

New Feats

Breath of Azure
You count as one size category larger than normal when making a bull rush as part of a Rushing Gale strike.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
Re: Help needed for new martial discipline
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 11:25:49 PM »
Hmm... interesting... but you lack ways of dealing damage...

-Blade Cyclone and the greater version should deal damage... be it slashing, sonic, or you make a melee attack against the targets, but it should deal some amount of damage....
-Some counter that knocks enemies prone when they miss a melee attack against you...
-Another counter that would allow you to change the target of a melee/ranged attack within a certain range...
-Updraft could deal some bonus damage, and/or offer a way to follow the airborne target... maybe with a stance...
-Skylord strike could deal some fixed amount of damage, and if the target is airborne, it is bullrushed to the ground and knocked prone/or takes more damage...

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 12:58:51 AM »
So far this is looking like a ranged version of setting sun with bull rushing instead of tripping which could be interesting for martial battle field control. You do definitely need more damage based abilities. I will try to list abilities that I think would be interesting.

The 8th level stance should definitely just give a fly speed and maybe some airborne bonuses like a minor windwall effect.
A good ability to add would be a swift action strike which bullrushes an opponent towards you.
An ability that knocks everyone towards a point in space.
An ability that slams people into the ground with a blast of air.
A reduced version of defenestrating sphere (spell compendium).
The wind shell stance should give immunity to wind effects.
Some sort of windwall effect as a counter.
Some stuff which uses the wind effects http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm#tableWindEffects.
The updraft maneuver should have a result based on the bull rush result or have higher versions, these would be useful as they would cause falling damage.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 01:25:25 AM »
Do you think that would be entirely in line with similar 8th level stances, though? I mean, I'm not saying that by that point a constant fly speed is bad, I'm just comparing it to the Desert Wind/Shadow Hand stances.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 01:29:04 AM »
Given this disciplines focus it seems like it would be a fit very well but you do have a point on the relative balance issues, possibly you have to land at the end of each round but you get something like twice your move speed as a fly speed. It would end up looking a lot like wire-fu which could be interesting.