Author Topic: (Mostly Druid) Barbarian/Druid  (Read 1948 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
(Mostly Druid) Barbarian/Druid
« on: December 18, 2009, 10:19:19 PM »
After a recent long-distance move I've been in contact with a local DM about joining his game.  I've run my basic character idea by him, but he hasn't yet responded with anything in-depth.

As of yet I don't know what level the game is, nor do I know the stat-generation method.

Despite that, I want to start getting some feedback on a character idea.  The DM's homebrew world is basically Forgotten Realms on the surface (possibly with another setting crammed on the surface as well), with the Underdark eventually leading to a Hollow World in the center of the planet.  That's about as much as I know right now.  Don't know current party composition.

I'm wanting to explore a Rashemi character, and I've got a love for Druids  :p

Here is the crunch I'm looking at currently:

Human Male
1 - Barbarian 1 - Snow Tiger Berserker, Track
2 - Druid 1
3 - Druid 2 - Companion Spellbond
4 - Druid 3
5 - Druid 4
6 - Druid 5 - Natural Spell or Rashemi Elemental Summoning
7 - Nature's Warrior 1 (Wild Growth)
8 - Nature's Warrior 2
9 - Druid 6 - Natural Spell or Rashemi Elemental Summoning
10 - Druid 7
11 - Druid 8
12 - Druid 9 - Magic of the Land [Races of the Wild] or Craft Contingent Spell [UE]
13+ - Druid from here on out, possibly a few more levels of Nature's Warrior thrown in.

He'll have a feline animal companion, and I'll move up through the most advantageous cats as my level goes up [leopard, lion, tiger, possibly smilodon].

Although I will often be in a feline wildshape form anyway, Snow Tiger Berserker will allow me to Pounce all the time, even as a Dire Bear, for example.

I plan to use quite a few spells from Frostburn (Obscuring Snow + Snowsight, for example).

Thoughts, criticisms? Advice to make this better or more playable?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 02:40:25 AM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: (Mostly Druid) Barbarian/Druid
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 10:29:43 PM »
Possibly you could use the avenger class variant rather than barbarian levels to maintain your casting while keeping the barbarian flavor?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 10:38:54 PM »
Possibly you could use the avenger class variant rather than barbarian levels to maintain your casting while keeping the barbarian flavor?
Already looked into it, but didn't want to give up the animal companion or the summoning.  I'm mostly planning to use the casting for buffing anyhow.  I know the loss of caster levels is bad, but I figured one caster level was worth it to keep the buff AC and spontaneous summoning (especially given the RES feat I'll be taking).

Since I don't know what other characters are in the party, I'm aiming for a warrior/support caster hybrid of sorts.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 06:13:41 AM »
I would go Barb 1/Druid 19. Nature's Warrior is not worth it, imho. And it would save you a feat. Or you could look into barb variants if there's one that gives Track. You can probably postpone Rashemi to 9. At early levels, summon ice beasts (Frostburn); good forms are e.g. wolf, hippogryff, huge monstrous centipede with frost breath.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 07:42:37 AM »
If Complete Champion is allowed, I'd take the Lion Totem variant Barbarian (even fits thematically) to replace Fast Movement with Pounce. Frees up a feat slot you'd otherwise spend on Snow Tiger Berserker.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 01:19:44 PM »
I suppose fast healing 1 could be replicated by just casting lesser vigor right before a fight.  But it's nice to have it for auto-stabilization and just not having to worry about spending healing resources on myself.

Snow Tiger Berserker is in part a character feat.  He is a member of one of the berserker lodges.  STB is about the best one for a wildshaping druid.