Author Topic: Uses of High Perform  (Read 1673 times)

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
Uses of High Perform
« on: December 18, 2009, 10:06:08 PM »
Level 6 gestalt.  Sources are very generous.  The character is pretty much locked to chaotic/evil, and I intend to really min/max my Perform skill as a part of the character.

I'm considering a Beguiler (which I'd like to get converted to charisma-based, pending rather likely DM approval), with something else on the other side, tentatively either Warlock or Bard.  Also, I intend to go with abyssal heritor feats (using as many flaws as I can possibly convince the DM to allow), including Otherworldly Countenance: Beauty, and try to get an extremely high Perform skill.

However, the question becomes, what uses are there for a high Perform skill at that level?  Money, of course, though not much.  Most Bardic Music doesn't really count; it's just an X-rank minimum to use various abilities, and higher scores mean little.  Fascinate, however, does, more or less, as its DC is based on the Perform check result (though even with a mediocre Perform skill, the DC already ends up almost arbitrarily high).  I know of Melodic Casting, which lets Perform replace Concentration.  Sublime Chord and Exemplar have uses, though I'm not particularly interested in either and they're out of reach at level 6.

Race is undetermined, though there is demonic heritage in there.  Classes are only vaguely sketched out, though I will be charisma-based.  Feats are in harsh demand, depending on how many flaws are ultimately allowed, with strong emphasis on abyssal heritor feats.

Any other suggestions?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Uses of High Perform
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 10:55:19 PM »
It's not directly based off of perform, but if you're going for an Evil-themed Bard, I must recommend the Doomspeak feat, from Champions of Ruin. It gives you the ability to force a save on a target within 120 feet or take a -10 to attacks, checks, and saves for a round. It costs a use of Bardic Music, but much more importantly, the DC breaks the formula. Instead of the standard 10+1/2 character level+Cha mod, it's 10+character level+Cha mod. Further, it's not mind-affecting.

Edit: It takes 8 ranks in Perform and Intimidate, so you'll need to take it as your level 6 feat, unless you have some retraining going on.

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 11:09:24 PM »
The ELH notes that you can use epic Perform skills in the same manner as Diplomacy to influence NPC attitudes. The DCs are exactly the same. Go to town.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:33:58 PM »
Well then, Cha-based Gestalt going for Preforming madness.

I'm spending time now and again trying to make something out of this mess, perhaps something there will spark an interest. At least Paladin of Slaughter/Bard Devoted Preformer would apply.

Battle Dancer 1
Hexblade 3/4 (if you can fit it in, dark companion is nice)
Fighter 2/4 (depending on how much bonus feats you'll need to qualify for Blackguard)
Blackguard 2
Eldeen Ranger 3
Arcane Duellist 2
Ranger 1
Bard X
Chaos Monk 1
Paladin of Slaughter 2

Feats not required but preferd:
Devoted Preformer, Acsetic Mage.

Somewhere in this, we get Cha to unarmoured AC 3 times, 4 if we can squeeze in enough caster levels for Sirine's Grace.
Cha to saves 3 times, 4 against arcane spells. If enough caster levels, Ruin Delver's Fortune could boost that aswell, though perhaps not that necessary.

The only organisation-bound PrC there is the Eldeen Ranger, so if that's not an option then it flies through the window along with that level in Ranger.

Of course, this is feat-strapped as it is and certainly couldn't accept many heritage feats, but you can always pick something you like out of the bunch I hope.

Not that this has much to do with using Preform, but the Bard/(s)Laughterdin angle reminded me of it.

Perhaps not so much on topic, but I hope somewhat helpful anyway.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 11:48:10 PM »
Stormsinger in Frostburn does damage equal to your Perform check.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 12:21:01 AM »
Put max ranks into perform(open heart surgery).
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 12:53:19 AM »
Negative Zero: Interesting.  I'll keep that in mind, but I probably won't be able to fit it in.

NGDBSS: Oh~  That one's good.  Especially if I pick the Perform skill right.  *Recruits hoards of fanatical followers with Perform: Sexual Act.*  :whistle

Shadowhunter: Interesting.  Thank you, I do intend to swing by X stat to Y bonus guide after firming a few things up about the build.  Getting charisma to other stuff is a secondary consideration to capitalizing on high Perform.

Bears: Hm... The flavor doesn't really fit with the direction I'm going, but I might be able to tweak the fluff and mechanics to something more appropriate.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 01:20:51 AM »
The Bard spell Undersong lets you substitute a Perform check for any Concentration check.  Now you have two skills that you can find alternate uses for and only have to invest in one.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.