Author Topic: Some thoughts on cheese...  (Read 7738 times)

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
Re: Some thoughts on cheese...
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 10:08:49 PM »
Summon the Mephit, bribe it, and convince it to make a simulacrum of you when it's unsummoned.
If only someone suggested that two posts before you.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 11:16:40 PM »
Summon the Mephit, bribe it, and convince it to make a simulacrum of you when it's unsummoned.

Um, since when is "Traveling across the planes to find someone" the same thing as "Use a spell-like ability to create an ice clone of someone"?

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 11:35:36 PM »

Um, since when is "Traveling across the planes to find someone" the same thing as "Use a spell-like ability to create an ice clone of someone"?

With that in mind is there anything awful about having it make a simulacrum of itself and having that thing simulacrum the efreeti?
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 12:38:54 AM »
The issue is that it can't stay within range of you long enough to use Simulacrum, no matter who the Sim is of. It couldn't make a Sim of itself for you, because by the time it finished, it would be back home.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 12:55:40 AM »
true though, a simulacrum version of a mirror mephit could make 2 simulacrum pazuzus or efreeties a day.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Hand_of_Vecna

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »
Page 37 of the dmg details alternate rules for always getting the same creature with summon monst.er and summon natures ally.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 02:41:56 PM »
A spell-like ability takes the same amount of time to complete as the spell that it mimics (usually 1 standard action) unless otherwise stated. Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled. In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell:

Simulacrum
Illusion (Shadow)
Level:    Sor/Wiz 7
Components:    V, S, M, XP
Casting Time:    12 hours

ok but: a 3rd level cleric could divine metamagic persistant sumon mirror mephit...
and at higher levels you can persistant it anyway and save a bunch of xp and gold!

PsiReform one of it's feats into Supernatural Transformation.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 02:44:59 PM »

Beautiful
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 02:56:08 PM »

Beautiful

Yeah, then all you need to do is bind the little suckers or use Linked Power to manifest PsiReform while summoning the Mephit.

Screw the rules, I have moar rules.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

rubberduck

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • my stuff
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 03:02:40 PM »
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities
A spell-like ability takes the same amount of time to complete as the spell that it mimics

yet: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm
Use Special Ability

Using a special ability is usually a standard action

its usually a standard action because most spells are standard actions
best online-comics i know: http://lfgcomic.com/ http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com
Looking for players? http://spielerzentrale.de/

me fail english? that's unpossible!
fear my new god! DARTH GOKUVERINE
poor literacy is kewl

Tenebrous Apostate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 03:42:49 PM »
Note on Gating wieldding summons. The spell description of the "summon mirror mefit" spell states that the mefit summoned cannot simmon or otherwise conjure another creature but alas the "simulacrum" is an illusion so don't feel bad about it  :P
Dead mortals feel no Dread

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 05:20:02 PM »
PsyRef takes too long too. You have to get a Psi-Like Psychic Reformation or use a Bend Reality sort of ability to emulate it as a standard action.

rubberduck

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • my stuff
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 03:58:21 AM »
Note on Gating wieldding summons. The spell description of the "summon mirror mefit" spell states that the mefit summoned cannot simmon or otherwise conjure another creature but alas the "simulacrum" is an illusion so don't feel bad about it  :P

i agree the mephit cant use his summon mephit ability but simulacrum does not summon or call anything... it creates an illusion same as tje silent image spell like
best online-comics i know: http://lfgcomic.com/ http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com
Looking for players? http://spielerzentrale.de/

me fail english? that's unpossible!
fear my new god! DARTH GOKUVERINE
poor literacy is kewl

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 04:42:15 AM »
PsyRef takes too long too. You have to get a Psi-Like Psychic Reformation or use a Bend Reality sort of ability to emulate it as a standard action.

Note the method Sinfire mentioned for using PsyRef.  Linked Power means it goes off the round after the power he linked it to, with no XP cost I might add :P
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 04:56:47 AM »

Note the method Sinfire mentioned for using PsyRef.  Linked Power means it goes off the round after the power he linked it to, with no XP cost I might add :P
so 1/3600th the casting time?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2009, 05:00:08 AM »

so 1/3600th the casting time?

10 rounds to the minute, 10 minute casting time, so 1/100th the casting time, actually 1/50th since it doesn't go off the round you pay for it, but yeah, massive reduction :)  Works wonders on an StP Erudite.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2009, 04:17:17 PM »
According to my dog-eared copy of the monster manual,

Quote from: MM3.5 page 315
Using a spell-like ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise, and doing so while threatened provokes AoOs.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Kal Zakath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2009, 12:19:55 AM »

Can you please explain why it wouldn't cost Xp? The linked power description states that it doesn't alter the spell in anyway, other then the method of its manifesting, so i reduces the casting time, but how does it reduce Xp or Gp costs?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2009, 01:23:12 AM »

Can you please explain why it wouldn't cost Xp? The linked power description states that it doesn't alter the spell in anyway, other then the method of its manifesting, so i reduces the casting time, but how does it reduce Xp or Gp costs?
You can read it so that you do not actually manifest the power, you just spend the pp to have its effect apply one round later to the same target, so you do not have to pay the xp components because you never actually manifest the power.

CuddableKae

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2009, 03:30:51 PM »
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities
A spell-like ability takes the same amount of time to complete as the spell that it mimics (usually 1 standard action) unless otherwise stated. Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled. In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell:

yet: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm
Use Special Ability

Using a special ability is usually a standard action, but whether it is a standard action, a full-round action, or not an action at all is defined by the ability.
Spell-Like Abilities

Using a spell-like ability works like casting a spell in that it requires concentration and provokes attacks of opportunity. Spell-like abilities can be disrupted. If your concentration is broken, the attempt to use the ability fails, but the attempt counts as if you had used the ability. The casting time of a spell-like ability is 1 standard action, unless the ability description notes otherwise.
Using a Spell-Like Ability on the Defensive

its usually a standard action because most spells are standard actions
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:39:21 PM by CuddableKae »