Author Topic: Need some ideas  (Read 1665 times)

Schocher

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Need some ideas
« on: December 14, 2009, 07:37:54 AM »
Alright. Im looking to make the strongest tank possible at 18th level. we can make any type we want using 3.5 books and any race. so any suggestions?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Need some ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:34:37 AM »
This should probably be moved to min/max it.

That said, what exactly do you mean by strongest tank?  Highest Strength score?  Highest Damage per Round?  Able to take the most hits (and force enemies to target you, otherwise you're outclassed by a wall of force)?  Covered in armor with a big gun?  An adaptation of the left 4 dead enemy?

I assume you're using 32 point buy, but specifying it would be a good idea.

As is, you need a little more detail so we can help you.  If you just want sheer "pick up mountains and throw them at people" strength, the hulking hurler is probably what you want.

Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

axenome1

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:27:15 AM »
The progression I'm going to propose will sound decidedly strange, to say the least, but as a tank concept it's surprisingly viable. The key is to remember that the purpose of the tank is to keep others from taking damage. In this regard, you can mitigate the damage others take, heal some of it at times, while utilizing the flexibility of Totemist soulmelds to keep yourself in the game. This tanking build isn't limited to late game play; it can be done quite well early game. Early on you can use the Egoist to get thicken skin and gain an early game boost to natural armor. By the time you've purchased your first ANA, you'll have enough psionic leeway to do other things as well. There is a free feat at third level if you take Azurin; you might want to get Crusader Strike early so that when you've got 3 psion levels you can take Expanded Knowledge to get the Psychic Warrior version of Biofeedback. As a level one power, its base effect costs 1/3 of the Psion version, and with your four levels of psion you might decide you want DR 3/- instead of DR 2/-, which won't be an option for you even with overchannel if you stick to the psion version. Later game Biofeedback will largely be eclipsed by Stone Dragon maneuvers that grant you DR, but it makes for a nice fallback should those somehow fail, such as an enemy barbarian carrying an adamantine weapon.
Psion Egoist4/Totemist5/Fighter4/Warblade5
Race options: Azurin(+1essentia,+1feat), Dwarf(+2 con, bonuses against Giants, general dwarfy badassness), or Elan(Immunity to Charm/hold/dominate Person spells, resilience, spontaneous boosts to saving throws) Obviously by this build I say Azurin should be your first pick, not just for the bonus feat, but also for the extra point of essentia- you only get 5 even with it, and most likely you'll have four of them in Cobalt Expertise for the extra +4 to trip. Psion gives you access to Biofeedback(DR 2/-) Deceleration(Thus reducing a target's ability to maneuver around you to get to the soft squishies in the back row)and Synesthete (Immunity to gaze attacks, bypasses being deafened and blinded so you can still do your job under these conditions) as well as a number of other useful powers. Augment is for devoted psions; stick to the basics, as your power pool is very limited. Take advantage of your chakra binds to create a meld that appears threatening. You have slightly lower hit points than the average tank, but your DR and Stone Power feat can give you the extra durability you need to take the hits. Make ready use of your Warblade maneuvers, you'll want to stick mainly to the Stone Dragon school, prereq's there are easy and the maneuvers are good for tanking and damage dealing. Use Adaptive Style as needed to put on the pressure or shore up your defenses, since you only have 4 readied maneuvers. Expect to draw the enemy's attention when it becomes clear that you can heal damage to all your allies AND deal damage in one stroke. I'm out of time; hope this build helps you. Gear yourself as you see fit- get some 3 point cognizance crystals and so forth to make up for your poor PP supply, good armor is a must, and invest in your weapon. If the enemy doesn't see you as a damage dealing threat, add in your Psionic weapon for an added incentive.
Stats Distribution: Str 12 Dex 14 Con 15 Int 13 Wis 10 Cha 8
Final stats at 18 before equipment or racial adjustments: Str 14 Dex 14 Con 16 Int 14 Wis 10 Cha 8
Taken as:
1:Fighter 1 (Feats: Expertise(1st), Improved Trip(Ftr1), Combat Reflexes(if Azurin))
2:Totemist 1
3:Egoist 1 (Feats: Psionic weapon[XPH](psion1), (3rd))
4:Totemist 2
5:Fighter 2 (Feat: Exotic Weapon: Spiked Chain(ftr 2))
6:Egoist 2 (Feat: Cobalt Expertise[MoI](6th))
7:Warblade 1
8:Warblade 2
9:Fighter 3 (feat: Martial Study: Crusader's Strike(DS 1)[Bo9S](9th))
10:Egoist 3
11:Totemist 3
12:Warblade 3 (Feat: Adaptive Style (12th)[Bo9S])
13:Fighter 4 (Feat: Shield Specialization: Heavy Shield[PHBII](Ftr 4))
14:Warblade 4
15:Egoist 4 (Feat: Martial Study: Shield Block(DS 2)[Bo9S](15th))
16:Totemist 4
17:Totemist 5
18:Warblade 5 (Feats: Martial Maneuver:Rallying Strike(DS 6)(18th), Stone Power[Bo9S])
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:52:37 AM by axenome1 »
"I would love to just run out the end of that building dressed as a sperm..."
-Internet comment regarding the Yas Hotel, constructed in Dubai

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 06:28:58 PM »
Holy wall of text, Batman!

I will suggest a Cleric, possibly with Ordained Champion and Ruby Knight Vindicator (in that case, take a level of crusader as well).

Crusader 1/Cleric 9/Ordained Champion 3/RKV 7

Doesn't have to be in that order either. Set yourself up for DMM(Persist) and DMM(Quicken) and proceed to abolish anything that considers you an enemy.