Author Topic: The Order of the Stick  (Read 82879 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
The Order of the Stick
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:17:03 PM »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
Re: The Order of the Stick
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 04:05:25 PM »
Since someone has to throw it out there: Best webcomic on the net?
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 04:09:52 PM »
I put this over on the entertainment board because it is definitely that.

I love the comic.  I find though that I won't read it for a long time and then catch up all at once. 

I also have a strong personal affection for it.  I met Rich before he started publishing OotS and he asked a group of us to check it out when it went live to give feedback.  We all knew immediately he had something special here. 

I just love that OotS has become part of gamer lore.  Almost everyone knows it and that is absolutely Brilliant Gameology approved. 
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 04:12:27 PM »
Bloodthirsty halflings will probably get along just fine though

:P

or when the lich gets back his gold crown and replies to Roy that had just informed him that the item's not magical:

Badass.
Really Badass

Pure win :P
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 05:18:18 PM »

I love it. That being said, best gamer comic period? Handsdown. I don't know if I would say best comic though ... Dominic Deegan and Something Positive both have a very strong case in my opinion.

And I'm worried if they'll ever Ressurect Roy  :(
It's not the same for me without him.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 05:34:59 PM »
I love it. That being said, best gamer comic period? Handsdown. I don't know if I would say best comic though ... Dominic Deegan and Something Positive both have a very strong case in my opinion.
I like SP, but I think its really kinda gotten stale.  Same thing with 8-Bit Theater.

Dominic Deegan is great though.

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 08:51:38 PM »
On a side note, Anti-Heroes (OotS inspired) is damn good :)

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 01:16:02 AM »
I REALLY like Goblin's, it might be my favorite webcomic.  If only it updated ever...

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 02:20:16 AM »
I love OotS, but I would have taken the strip to 4e.

If you are writing humor, the most important element is humor.  Fuck story.  Story is for drama. 

The amount of humor you could get out of 4e absolutely overshadows the reasons not to use it.  My fear is that Rich is going to screw himself up.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 03:14:55 AM »
I disagree there.  I think that without the story, the jokes tend to get a bit... well, random, and not as funny.  Sort of like Family Guy, really: it becomes very hit-or-miss.

Besides, 4E isn't THAT funny.
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

Solo Phoenix

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • My deviantArt
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 05:03:51 AM »
Also, there are a lot of Rich's fans who don't like 4E, who may have felt betrayed if the comic went in that direction.
Advice to gamer girls looking for love: The odds are very good, but the goods are very odd.<br /><br />They call it a clam for a reason.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 06:18:10 AM »
I disagree there.  I think that without the story, the jokes tend to get a bit... well, random, and not as funny.  Sort of like Family Guy, really: it becomes very hit-or-miss.

Besides, 4E isn't THAT funny.
Not telling jokes is not funny. 

When we do something, like the Fear the Boot Sketch, do you have any idea how many ideas are thrown out?  That is the way with any creative endeavor.  The more seeds you have the more plants you grow. 

Number of ideas from not switching = 0
Number of ideas 4e could give = Some positive Integer

ps - Family guy can be hit or miss because they can throw dozens of jokes at you only a few need to stick. 
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Solo Phoenix

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • My deviantArt
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 07:53:07 AM »
Quote from: Rich Burlew

Doesn't seem like not changing is gonna hurt 4E's ability to generate humour.
Advice to gamer girls looking for love: The odds are very good, but the goods are very odd.<br /><br />They call it a clam for a reason.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 09:20:32 AM »
I love OotS, but I would have taken the strip to 4e.

If you are writing humor, the most important element is humor.  Fuck story.  Story is for drama. 

The amount of humor you could get out of 4e absolutely overshadows the reasons not to use it.  My fear is that Rich is going to screw himself up.
Rich has already used 4e jokes, including one on what power source Elan uses. He said he's not going to try making jokes about systems few people fully understand yet, but he isn't going to restrict himself to one system.

See here
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 09:28:03 AM »
You know, I've always been a big fan of OotS.  I think, even though it happens a lot, I like the fourth-wall-breaking the most.   Whenever a character becomes genre-savvy at just the right moment really tickles me.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 02:25:23 PM »
[spoiler][/spoiler]
My work

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 02:30:51 PM »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Twelve Gods! It's back!   :clap
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

ImperiousLeader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 03:21:52 PM »
Oh man, did I enjoy that last one. This is why you don't piss off an Oracle.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 06:23:17 PM »
Hang on a second, look at the URL of this thread! :o
My work

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 06:29:11 PM »
Hang on a second, look at the URL of this thread! :o

LMAO. The sign ....of the Miko!