Author Topic: The Order of the Stick  (Read 82883 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: The Order of the Stick
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2009, 10:54:09 AM »
Five out of six back together!  Well, I guess six out of six if you count bones... :p
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2009, 12:12:41 AM »
I really love where he took the series right this second. Damn it's sooo good.
 :D
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2009, 12:27:50 AM »
Someone tell me why V is evil though?  He technically isn't acting any differently than he did before, he just has better spells.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2009, 12:46:44 AM »
Someone tell me why V is evil though?  He technically isn't acting any differently than he did before, he just has better spells.
1. I agree with you
2. In answer to your question for a non religious veiw of good and evil. Good says "These are unnacceptable means", Evil says "There are no "unnacceptable means""
Many cultures look at things from a perspective of "excessive pragmaticism = evil"
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2009, 07:21:08 AM »
V views himself as evil? Also, he's wearing black robes and has red eyes and fangs.

Oh, and[spoiler]commiting genocide might have something to do with it.[/spoiler]
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2009, 10:07:45 AM »
Warning: Personal ramblings
[spoiler]I think V was Neutral with Evil tendencies all along. By comic standards, hitting on the good/evil issue of D&D makes for a great arc, and V's genocide does make for a believable D&D transition on that axis. So it seems Rich may have put some thought into increasing his readership.  As for the robes/fangs/eyes, etc, as we all say "fluff is mutable" It's likely just cosmetic side effects of the deal with the devils that V made. Just as the spirits have no control over V, neither do the effects. But it's much easier to act out your evil side when you have encouragement and backing.[/spoiler]
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2009, 03:13:20 PM »
Warning: Personal ramblings
[spoiler]I think V was Neutral with Evil tendencies all along. By comic standards, hitting on the good/evil issue of D&D makes for a great arc, and V's genocide does make for a believable D&D transition on that axis. So it seems Rich may have put some thought into increasing his readership.  As for the robes/fangs/eyes, etc, as we all say "fluff is mutable" It's likely just cosmetic side effects of the deal with the devils that V made. Just as the spirits have no control over V, neither do the effects. But it's much easier to act out your evil side when you have encouragement and backing.[/spoiler]
That was my general take on things.  I figured that if V had that kind of power earlier s/he might have acted differently all along.  That, or the sudden surge of power caused V to do things differently than usual.  Perpahs a slower progression of power (i.e. normal leveling) would have yielded different results.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2009, 11:11:46 PM »
V views himself as evil? Also, he's wearing black robes and has red eyes and fangs.

Oh, and[spoiler]commiting genocide might have something to do with it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]So all the goblins and whatnot that they've been commiting genocide over don't mean anything, but doing it to dragons is evil.  Dragon cock?  I walk.[/spoiler]
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2009, 11:15:24 PM »

[spoiler]So all the goblins and whatnot that they've been commiting genocide over don't mean anything, but doing it to dragons is evil.  Dragon cock?  I walk.[/spoiler]
AHHH MEN! LOL Count you sir, win.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2009, 11:18:34 PM »

Since when does combat = genocide?
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2009, 11:26:27 AM »
So it's a matter of scale?  They've killed pretty much every goblin or orc they've been able to get the drop on.  V was just that much more efficient at doing it to dragons.

ZeroSpace

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »
I hate to point out things that portent doom, but I think Satan may have just worked his way into this thread. Seriously, check out the URL for the thread.
YAY! I get to go to the SPECIAL hell!

"The picks aren't breaking through, sir!"
"Alright men, time to break out the greatswords!"

"You may not make money being a bad-ass!"
-My DM

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2009, 04:52:12 PM »
So, who's taking bets on the the outcome of V vs X?

30:1 odds on V besting X in 6 rounds or less. (to the Destruction of the Lich)
10:1 odds on X besting V in 6 rounds or less. (To the Death)
3:1 odds on V fleeing the scene in 4 rounds.

My money's on Flight.

Who's read the Start of Darkness?

Disclaimer: I have no idea how bookies place odds, I just made that shit up.  I had 15:1 odds on V winning, but he'd have to destroy Redcloak's amulet as well, and I dont think thats gonna happen.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:54:15 PM by Irthos Levethix »
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2009, 05:05:38 PM »
I'm going to bet on Xykon hitting him with Meteor Swarm, upon which he will lose another one of the spliced souls. After that, he'll either flee or fight on.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2009, 06:22:51 PM »
I hate to point out things that portent doom, but I think Satan may have just worked his way into this thread. Seriously, check out the URL for the thread.
I pointed that out on page 1. :p
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2009, 06:37:02 PM »
I'm going to bet on Xykon hitting him with Meteor Swarm, upon which he will lose another one of the spliced souls. After that, he'll either flee or fight on.

Well...
  I do think V's going to get killed/Defeated, If killed then they're short a character. If defeated he, starts to feel atrocious for his crimes  then realizes the bullshit power of "Friendship" or whatever as his friends save him.
  On the other hand... If in a surprise twist V -kills/defeats the lich... he then becomes further enticed by power and becomes the main antagonist of the story. I don't see that happening much though.

One to many Tv/Troupes and idioms I guess.

Whatever the outcome, I'm sooo glad "V" got this treatment, better than being a "Pat" with little personality like he was at one point.

ZeroSpace

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2009, 07:40:20 PM »
That you did Prime. Touche. Looks like someone cast a Permanent Invisibility on that post.
YAY! I get to go to the SPECIAL hell!

"The picks aren't breaking through, sir!"
"Alright men, time to break out the greatswords!"

"You may not make money being a bad-ass!"
-My DM

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2009, 11:35:24 PM »
Reading the penultimate panel as V Epic 'Ports off to battle X, my money's on V losing control of one of the remaining splices before even arriving to battle Xykon.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2009, 11:42:55 PM »
So it's a matter of scale?  They've killed pretty much every goblin or orc they've been able to get the drop on.  V was just that much more efficient at doing it to dragons.

No, it's not a matter of scale directly.  It's more a matter of intent.  Facing goblins in combat it's kill or be killed (with the exception of Belkar, who is also evil-aligned/sexy shoeless god of war), but when V cast Familicide, he intentionally wanted to wipe them all out regardless of the fact that they were not a direct threat.  If you can't see the difference between those two forms of killing, then nothing I can say will ever help you figure it out.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2009, 11:46:31 PM »

No, it's not a matter of scale directly.  It's more a matter of intent.  Facing goblins in combat it's kill or be killed (with the exception of Belkar, who is also evil-aligned/sexy shoeless god of war), but when V cast Familicide, he intentionally wanted to wipe them all out regardless of the fact that they were not a direct threat.  If you can't see the difference between those two forms of killing, then nothing I can say will ever help you figure it out.

the threat definition is kinda bullshit then. Cause a part of that dragon showing up is "you killed my son!" so okay I don't want anymore dragons showing up to avenge this asshole (threatning my family no less) I'm just gonna get it done.
If you can't understand the simple one up-manship your missing something imperitive.