Author Topic: Optimizing a Spell Blasting/Channeling Glaivelock-Wizard Gish  (Read 2205 times)

fun_at_funerals

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • A humble mage with apocalyptic aspirations
    • Email
Optimizing a Spell Blasting/Channeling Glaivelock-Wizard Gish
« on: December 13, 2009, 05:55:47 AM »
Ok, thought about it and found the Warlock-Binder-Ur-Priest-Eldritch Disciple build kinda lacking. As such, considering an alternative.

I'm considering the alternative build Warlock/Wiz/Eldritch Theurge, mainly for the ability to combine Eldritch Glaive, Spellblast, and Wizard Spellcasting to create a potent gish. There are several obvious problems with this route, the main one being the fact that BAB and HP are going to be crap. Second is that feats are going to be tight. Tentatively, this is what the build is going to look like:

Illuminian Domain Wizard 5/Warlock 1/Eldritch Theurge 10/X4

I'm not certain if this works, but I'm thinking of trying to pull an early entry trick into Eldritch Theurge using the Krau Sigil. The +2 to caster level should grant me an invoking level of 3 and therefore (again, I'm not entirely sure if this works) increase Eldritch Blast to +2d6, allowing me to enter Eldritch Theurge without sacrificing anymore wizard casting. Can anyone verify if this works? It seems like it should based on the distinction Complete Arcane made between Spellcasting Level (complexity) and Caster Level (power). Since Eldritch Blast is not a spell, Caster level rather Spellcasting level should be used to calculate its potency.

If this is not the case, is there another way to enter Eldritch Theurge without having to take another 2 levels of Warlock or losing Wizard casting?

The reason for Domain Wizard (besides just being awesome on the whole) is for the option to create a custom domain where I'm going to sneak in some choice spells from the Cleric and Paladin list (Divine Power to solve the problem of BAB and add a little HP, along with Favor of the Martyr for the daze immunity to be combined with Celerity).

Lastly, I'm not certain of how to finish the build. I was considering going with a Shadowcraft Mage for the added combat versatility with spells as well as some persisting ability (thinking of persisting Glorious Master of the Elements and channeling the touch attack blasts through Eldritch Glaive). Domain Wizards will be great here since I can add Miracle to the custom Domain and use the Miracle trick. Also, I think Residual Magic would work with spells used in conjunction with Spellblast. This will allow me to cast a hightened spell Silent Image spell for Shadow Illusion with Spellblast in the first round and then cast another one in the subsequent round modified with a Twin spell for some blasty goodness.

The problem with this option is that it's too demanding feat wise and wont allow me to pick useful martial/fighter feats like Combat Reflexes.

I also considered going with Escalation Mage for the free metamagic effects. Thinking of quickening Eldritch Glaive+Spellblast for a total of two full attacks with channeled spells a round. Sounds good, as long as I can max out my caster level for the check.

I was also given the option to make Hellfire Warlock advance arcane spellcasting (but not invoking levels) while still being able to apply Hellfire to Eldritch Blast, but that creates the problem of negating Con damage without sacrificing anymore wizard casting levels (I don't think Wizards have any spells capable of doing this). Perhaps I can sneak in Body Ward into the Domain? This would be particularly powerful with a Eldritch Glaive as Hellfire Shield, if I understand both abilities correctly, would allow a full attack as part of an immediate action (better than Karmic Strike assuming there's a way of negating the Con damage). Oh, and a question. Hellfire Shield states that we can fire an Eldritch Blast "Whenever someone directs a melee attack against you". Does this mean that I am able to use this ability an unlimited number of times for so long as it is triggered or am I still restricted to a single use per round since it is an immediate action? In case of the latter, is there any way to increase the number of time it can be used per round?

I was considering going with all three for something like: Wizard 5/Warlock 1/Shadowcraft Mage 3/Escalation Mage 5/Hellfire Warlock 3/Eldritch Theurge 3. But this prevents me from gaining Great Reach Spellblast at Eldrtich Theurge 10.

I'm really at a loss for what to do here. Could really use CO's help.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 02:21:20 PM by fun_at_funerals »
You can't spell FUNERALS without FUN

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Optimizing a Spell Blasting/Channeling Glaivelock-Wizard Gish
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 02:24:45 PM »
Immediate Actions are only 1 per round. And note, your immediate action is your swift action so, if you're going to regularly use the Shield, don't rely on quickening much!

And, why do you need a level to negate Con damage? Can't you get Shape Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest)

fun_at_funerals

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • A humble mage with apocalyptic aspirations
    • Email
Re: Optimizing a Spell Blasting/Channeling Glaivelock-Wizard Gish
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:39:52 PM »
Immediate Actions: Damn. Oh well, still a pretty good option to have.

Con Damage: Was thinking of dipping into Binder for Naberius's Fast Healing. Preferred that over Strongheart Vest since everyone's in agreement that it absolutely works as opposed to Strongheart Vest which is kinda dubious. Plus, that would eat a feat and, if Shadowcraft Mage is making its way into the build, there really is no room for it.
You can't spell FUNERALS without FUN