Author Topic: Airship Captain Build  (Read 6961 times)

Praef

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: Airship Captain Build
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »
Funny thought:  Assume we're using eberron airships.  You know, the ones powered by either a fire or an air elemental (a while back I made a plan to have a ship powered by one of each- the air to propel the ship and the fire to rain down burning heck on anyone in my way). 

A cleric with the fire or air domains, depending on the elemental powering the ship, would be able to control it due to his elemental rebuking power. 

Imagine:  an armada of templeships crewed by clerics sailing against a fleet of undead flying whale ships crewed by zombies and skeletons.  Throw the tc's little airship in the middle and you have the making of a epic last battle.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 01:06:12 PM »
Legendary Captain's bonuses aren't bad, they're just spread out.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Praef

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 03:05:18 PM »
For some reason, I've always had it in my head that a windwright captain would have so much control over his airship that he can flank with it. 

I can't remember if its a druid alternate class feature or a full on prestige class, but something allows you to have an elemental as a companion.  Once more, throw that puppy into the crystal powering the ship, and look, treeships.

Back to the legendary captain debate, you have to think about what the campaign is going to be about.  Will you be flying against other airships?  are airships going to be a dominant part of the story? will you have to leave your ship for extended amounts of time?
Really, Legendary Captain is only good if you're to be staying with your ship most of the time.  However, if you want to be a captain of the ship but still do some dungeon crawling, convince the dm that you should be able to have a cohort that is as high of a level as you.  When you're on the ship, you control the captain and the dm controls the cohort, and if you want to leave the ship, you seek treasure with the cohort and the dm controls the captain and the ship.