Author Topic: 3.5 Reuild Poll Part 57: Critical Hits  (Read 7022 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: 3.5 Reuild Poll Part 57: Critical Hits
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2009, 03:25:58 AM »
The obvious question here is whether critical hits actually need changing or not.  Do they?  I'm not sure that they do.

JaronK

feyanor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2009, 08:47:50 AM »
I know it's been said before.
I think the current system is good, because it keeps the game more or less predictable...
Wound/VP System: Too much chance to one hit.
Con Damage: Issue with con less critters and it heavily favors ppl with many attacks, to the point, where optimizing for critical hits, for a twf char isnt an option, but a neccesity.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2009, 09:42:18 AM »
3)  Regeneration and Fast Healing no longer heal you completely if you've taken critical hits.  Theoretically a troll could be killed by enough critical hits without ever using fire.
That is a weird side-effect.  I wonder if it would be worth while to let creatures with regeneration heal Con damage, or possibly any physical ability damage.  Given that it's not typically an ability that PCs use, it probably wouldn't be much of an issue.

That, however, would have the side-effect of letting regenerating creatures heal most poison damage, but that might not be a bad thing either.  Interesting...
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2009, 11:55:09 AM »
Well, you could always make Greater Regeneration(regenerates ability damage), Superior Regeneration(regenerates negative levels), etc etc. Same goes for Fast Healing.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

axenome1

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2010, 07:08:19 PM »
I actually put together a critical table based on the damage of the weapon. Sneak attackadds 1 to the damage roll per die rather than adding in the sneak attack damage to the damage check. Coup de Grace always counts as max weapon damage if target's fort save fails. x3 weapons add 2 to the damage roll, x4 adds 4 to the damage roll before consulting the chart below. Light wounds last 24 hours of natural healing, Moderate lasts 1 week, serious lasts 1 month, critical is crippling unless successfully healed with a heal check DC 25 over the course of 3 months. A wound effect can be negated by the application of an equivalent cure or healing spell, Deadly wounds require the application of Heal or similar magics to reverse. When applied to targets larger than Medium or smaller than Small size, each category adjusts the number of ticks in it by 1(thus, a size huge creature has 1-5 light, 6-10 moderate, 11-15 serious, 16-20 critical, 21-25 deadly, 26+ killing, while a tiny creature has 1-2 light, 3-4 moderate, 5-6 serious, 7-8 critical, 9-10 deadly, 11+ killing)
[spoiler]
Damage rollEffect
1-3Light. +1 to all further ciritical rolls against this body part.
4-6Moderate. Leg: -5 movement. Arm: -1 to attack/damage. Head: -2 to all skill checks. Body: Fatigued.
7-9Serious. Leg: movement speed halved, any movement attempted forces a balance check DC 15 or fall prone. Arm: Cannot attack with affected arm, gain no shield bonus from affected arm. Head: Fort save (dc 10+damage dealt) or fall unconscious, -2 penalty to Int, Wis, and Cha until naturally or magically healed. Body: Bleeding 1 con per round until treated with at least 5 points of curative magic or a dc 20 heal check, also gains 1 level of fatigue every 3 rounds while bleeding occurs.
10-12Critical. Leg or Arm: Maimed. Affected limb cannot be used for any purpose. If leg, falls prone. Bleed 1 con per round until treated with at least 5 points of curative magic or a DC 20 heal check, also gains 1 fatigue level per 3 rounds of bleeding. Head: Falls unconscious(no save), fort save(DC 10+ damage dealt) or die imediately. If successful, -4 to Int, Cha, and Wis until magically restored. Body: Severe bleeding. 3 con per round until treated with at least 15 points of magical healing or a DC 28 heal check. Immediately exhausted, falls unconscious unless bleeding stops before target's next action.
13-15Deadly. Leg or Arm: Limb severed. Bleeding 3 con per round, immediately exhausted, falls unconscious if not treated with at least 15 points of magical healing before target's next action. Fort save(DC 15) or die if not magically treated within 1 round as though per massive damage. Head: Decapitated. Immediately killed if decapitation can do so (similar to effects of a Vorpal Weapon). Body: Fort save: DC15 + damage dealt or die, otherwise falls immediately unconscious and dies within 1 round unless magically treated in some fashion. If survives, is paraplegic(50% chance) or quadraplegic(25% chance if not paraplegic) or else suffers a permanent penalty of -6 to all physical attributes.
16+Killing. Regardless of location, a wound of this severity kills the target outright.
[/spoiler]
This crit damage system is great for flavor but vastly empowers the critical hit and called shot (my ruling is that a called shot if successful takes a -4 to the damage roll for effect) so balance is a little wonky. Spells that can crit are treated like weapons, except that in the case of multiple dice they count the single highest die roll and then add 1 for each additional die(searing ray deals normal damage but on the crit roll has the effect of the highest rolled die +3). I also like it because you have more realiztic approximations of scars, and there's actually a REASON for the Regeneration spell.
"I would love to just run out the end of that building dressed as a sperm..."
-Internet comment regarding the Yas Hotel, constructed in Dubai

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 02:29:47 AM »
Don't have them do extra HP damage. Have them do ability damage, 1d6 or 1d8 to an ability score of the attacker's choice. Higher amounts for higher multiplier weapons. It simulates striking a vital area a lot better, in my opinion, and it allows crits to keep properly scaled a lot better than HP damage, because ability scores don't change nearly as rapidly. At any given level, somebody who gets critted with a scythe is basically down, for instance.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.