Author Topic: Cinematic Fighting - maybe future houserule  (Read 1850 times)

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Cinematic Fighting - maybe future houserule
« on: December 11, 2009, 06:01:14 PM »
What if you were limited to :
Subdual 1 hp damage,
on crits 1 hp real damage.

Anybody think this could work  ???

I'm thinking Jacky Chan movie sillyness,
or the standard Dragonball Z punch-punch-punch routine.

Casters would hafta get this too.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Cinematic Fighting - maybe future houserule
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 06:04:10 PM »
Maybe have everyone get a "Special attack" and a few "Combos" while giving everyone a "Combobreaker?"  Hehehe and when they're at -9, Io tells the winner to "FINISH HIM!"  :D  Mortal Kombat D&D, I love it.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 06:51:36 PM »
1 is a bit low for high levels. Perhaps its your level in damage limit, or at least half your level. Because it doesn't make much sense for a high level char to take a long time just to kill a low level char.

Also this would make things immune to nonleathal damage (like bone knights) -and crits for that matter- far too powerful. I guess you would have to ban stuff like that.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 10:38:33 PM »
For the combo thing, I'd just say that you count as flat-footed during any round in which you've already been hit. Anything that is an immediate action would cure the flat-footed state and be a 'combo breaker'.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 06:52:01 AM »
It just encourages instant death attacks (save or dies) which makes casters more obscene.  Also, it does encourage large numbers of attacks... stuff like the twin crossbow Warblade, or really any other attack spam type.

JaronK

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 04:55:20 PM »
Good stuff.

More gimpage of casters ... dang that's a whole lot of work.
Undead might be countered via a 4e style necrotic tag feat, or like Ghost Attack feat.

DimitriX

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Don't mess with The Gardener!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 01:02:24 PM »
My friends and I had some ideas for cinematic fighting although limited mostly for melee characters. When a critical is confirmed depending on the nature of the enemy, the PC roll some skill or ability checks like quick-time events. Let me give you an example. The Giant is under half his Hit Points. A fighter next to it makes an attack roll and it's 20 and then he confirms it.
Provided the Giant is not slayed outright, the Fighter can use up an action point (yes, we use action points, too) and make for example a Jump skill check followed by a Balance check and then an attack roll. This means that the player, after the critical manages to jump up on the giant, keep his balance and then make a lethal attack. The attack gets a bunch of extra damage depending on the Jump and Balance rolls and the player is awarded. Thing is that the control of the scene is given to the DM's imagination and very exciting cinematic battles can be created.
Well, mostly this is cheesy and does not enhance the game in other ways, whatsoever.

PS. An example of a Jackie Chan monk would be to move a certain distance and attack many opponents but making a lot of checks and taking - to damage.
Quote from: Kuroimaken
Women and RPGs are very similar in one respect - it's all in how you play them.
Quote from: Ieniemienie
If it fits in crabs, it fits in books too.

Looking For Group, probably the funniest online comic together with Order of the Stick

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 05:02:46 PM »
Interesting.
Crit then gets a bonus to a skill check, then Knowledge Ancient History "He knows Palm of Siberys (shock) !!"
or
Punch of the Smiling Sufferer (diplomacy)
Slide on the Sweat of Tears (swim)
Broken Bones of the Xylophone (perform music)
etc ...

DimitriX

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Don't mess with The Gardener!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 05:22:48 PM »
lol. that's not what I meant exactly but why not use a knowledge mid-combat? By scoring a critical you try to remember other vital spots of your enemy. You remember that they are vulnerable in one spot in their back, so you roll a bluff check to trick them, a jump check or a dexterity check to get behind them and finally an attack roll to attack on the weak spot with a nice bonus to damage.
Is there anything not to love?
Quote from: Kuroimaken
Women and RPGs are very similar in one respect - it's all in how you play them.
Quote from: Ieniemienie
If it fits in crabs, it fits in books too.

Looking For Group, probably the funniest online comic together with Order of the Stick

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 07:00:34 PM »
Whenever you land a critical, your threat range should increase. The idea being that when you find a weak spot, you start aiming for it.

"Without their heads they're powerless!"