Author Topic: My mystic ranger  (Read 2826 times)

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
My mystic ranger
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:44:24 PM »
Brainstorming a backup character for a current game.

Game rules:
[spoiler]
- Current character level 4, game aimed to end around 8-10 but may go higher.
- Optimization level should be around tier 2-3
- 32 Point buy
- PHB classes and races banned (but see below).  Artificer and Archivist banned.
- Racial Variants are allowed (ie: whisper gnome, strongheart halfling). Variants of PHB classes may be allowed on a case by case basis.
- All 3.5 content allowed with DM approval.
- Some feat and skill retraining allowed.
- 1 Flaw
- LA buyoff allowed
[/spoiler]

Exalted Lawful Good (yay sanctified spells)
Mystic Wildshape Ranger 5/Abjurant Champion 5/Prestige Paladin 1/Sacred Exorcist 1/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator [Reflavored] 7 in this order

Trade Track for Trapfinding.
Trade one of the instances of turn undead for turn dragons.

Feats:
1: Combat Casting, [Flaw]Magical Training (retrain later)
3: Extend Spell
4: retrain Magical Traning for Sword of the Arcane Order
6: Mounted Combat
9: Persistent Spell
12: DMM[Persist]
15: Battle Blessing

Concerns: oh boy am I short on feats.
Some more feats I want:
Power Attack
Arcane Strike
Natural Spell
Extra Wild Shape
Aberrant Blood-> Aberrant Reach + Aberrrant Wildshape
Maybe Alternate Spell Source

Don't know what race I want, the build is quite MAD considering it can only wildshape 1/day.
Starts are probably Wis>Con>Int=Cha>Str=Dex
Aasimar as usual look good, although the DM prefers the Savage progression as opposed to PGTF lesser version.
Perhaps Draconic Aasimar -> buy off Draconic and take the second sub level to buy off immediately after?  I think this would get me dirty looks.

I think I fail at making it tier 2.  Even being a level behind in spells and applying Battle Blessing intelligently (ie: only making it work on spells on the Paladin list), I am still only 1 spell level behind a wizard with Ranger spells and eventually Paladin spells accessible.  Not to mention 19 BAB at level 20 (inside an AMF!)
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: My mystic ranger
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 07:09:38 PM »
With only 5 levels of Wildshape ranger you are not going to be able to turn into many forms due to having a hit dice limit of 5, your caster level may end up being rather low. It looks like you are are trying to get too much out of the mystic ranger spell casting, you might be better off trying that sort of build with something with full casting.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 09:06:03 PM »
This built with full spellcasting class is totally near the top of tier 1.  (Not to mention that many full spellcasting classes are banned).

Do you think I should take a different alternate class feature instead of wildshape?  Also isn't there an item (druid's vestments?) that has a practiced spellcaster effect on wildshape?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:13:38 PM »
Do you think I should take a different alternate class feature instead of wildshape?  Also isn't there an item (druid's vestments?) that has a practiced spellcaster effect on wildshape?

Don't bother with Wildshape IMO, it's such low level you're not doing anything. But then again neither are Combat Styles... Maybe ask DM for homebrew 2hand combat style including Power Attack?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 09:15:52 PM »

Don't bother with Wildshape IMO, it's such low level you're not doing anything. But then again neither are Combat Styles... Maybe ask DM for homebrew 2hand combat style including Power Attack?

Dragon mag has one that uses Power Attack, Imp Sunder, and Imp Bull Rush I think.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 09:28:43 PM »
This is a case of trying to do too much at once, either focus on the spellcasting or the wildshaping.

One simple wildshape build I like is cloistered cleric1/wildshape mystic ranger10/monk1/ranger8.

Feats:
1-knowledge devotion (from cloistered cleric), extend spell (planning domain), improved initative (time domain), able learner, persistant spell, DMM persistant spell (flaw)
3-practiced spellcaster
6-natural spell
9-SotAO
12-ascetic hunter
15-multiattack
18-improved natural attack: unarmed strike

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 12:18:01 AM »
If you can't do full spell casting then there are a couple of prestige classes that work well with spells, like Chameleon. It would require a completely different build and focus but it would be rather effective given the limited choices.

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 01:46:41 AM »
Noone seems to have mentioned Planar Shepherd in this build. Have I missed some line where it's been banned? That prestige class really is the most optimal choice for anyone looking to advance Wild Shape and casting, even if you are trying to make a Gish. Sacrificing a grand total of 3 points of BAB is completely worth the Outsider Wild Shape ability.

If you're concerned that it's too broken, maybe talk with your DM about what the class can do in theory, and what you'll actually be doing with it. Gentlemen's agreements ftw.

Chameleon's a very good, non-Wild Shape choice. If you use a trick to grab yourself 9th level spells with the class, you'll have more spells per day than a Wizard, and know every single Divine spell in existence, as well as being able to cast every single Arcane one.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 01:58:00 AM »
You do not really need the 9th level spell trickery, the ability to pick from any spell list ever makes up a great deal of the power lost for high level spells. Many good high level spells can be found on other spell lists at levels 6 or below. It is good for many of the reasons archivist is good, only you have two sets of casting.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 02:43:38 AM »
As I mentioned in the original post, this Campaign is likely to end earlier rather than later.  Outsider Wildshape is great at level 14 (or 15 if I still want paladin spells), but with at least 2 feats as prerequisites (initiate and spontaneous summoner), I wonder if the immediate return is worth it.
For abusing Wildshape, I would probably go into Master of Many forms, but I think for this build I would rather focus on casting (with some melee ability) and keep my 1 use of wildshape for utility/scouting.

So forgetting wildshape, any race/feat/tricks suggestions?

johnboy069

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 03:41:21 AM »
Daggerspell Shaper will advance spellcasting and wild shape... It is really good if you don't mind losing some BAB and a caster level or two.
This is johnboy069 and toryn from the wizards boards:)
\m/ RIP Ronnie James Dio, you will be missed.\m/ :bigeye

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 12:42:59 PM »
Given how short you are on feats human might be the best race if only for the bonus feat. A whisper gnome might work well otherwise.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 12:51:22 PM »
Humans are technically banned due to being a PHB race.  Silverbrow Humans/Strongheart Halfling ftw!  Probably the medium one.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 06:16:51 PM »
This is a case of trying to do too much at once, either focus on the spellcasting or the wildshaping.

He's hitting it on the nail here. You're pulling to many ropes and as a result will drown.

Now what I've always considered to be a good multi-purpose ranger build is something like:
Neraph Scout 1/Mystic Ranger 2/Scout 2/Wizard 1/Mystic Ranger 14 with Trapfinding instead of Track, Sword of the Arcane Order and Swift Hunter.

What You Get:
Trapfinding
5th Level Ranger Spells
or
5th Level Wizard Spells (with an incredibly caster level because of some stacking bonuses)
Wildshape as a 16th level Ranger
The ability to cast Alter Self and being a Neraph can become outsiders.
+16 BaB and Full Skirmish Potential

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 06:33:05 PM »
Wizard is banned.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 08:13:20 PM »
You do not really need wizard for that build as far as I can tell.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
You do not really need wizard for that build as far as I can tell.

You don't need it but by having one level of wizard in there you significantly bump your caster level up. I consider it a worthy trade-off.