Author Topic: Anauroch - The Great Desert  (Read 52179 times)

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
Re: Anauroch - The Great Desert
« Reply #440 on: February 23, 2011, 08:20:31 PM »
[spoiler]
Even though you haven't asked for them:

Auras:
Birdies: 13, 14, 15
Skinnies: 14, 11, 10, 12

based on my estimation of the CR...[/spoiler]

Snizor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #441 on: February 23, 2011, 09:07:27 PM »
Panicking at the sight of the two demonspawn surrounding him, Daelric seemed to teleport right out from between them as he fled away.  Turning around, Daelric hastily wove some of his magics to try and prevent them from pursuing him [Confusion, DC 21].

OOC:
[spoiler]
Spot: 18 (fail)
Swift Action: Use Anklet's of Translocation to teleport to M42
Move Action: move to G41
Standard. Cast confusion, DC 21, on Babau's 3 and 4

for BP:
[spoiler]
CL checks for spell resistance (assuming that the Babau's count as weave users, if not, subtract 4 from each roll).
Babau 3:1d20+12=24
Babau 4:1d12+12=32
[/spoiler]

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:12:14 PM by Snizor »
The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #442 on: February 24, 2011, 06:43:26 AM »
The Bulette died, and a look of dismay and anger passed over the Demons. They had failed their intent, now all that was left was to exact vengeance.

[Daelric][spoiler]
They are weave users until they get SWM as a feat, right? I mean people can't just decide...
So, yeah, it goes through, now let's see what happens.
Babau3: 18, Babau 4: 19
Both are affected. [/spoiler]

The demons near Daelric became glassy eyed and began looking in weird directions.

[PRIVATE for ME][spoiler]
Next round:
Babau 3: babble
B4: babble[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:49:14 AM by Brainpiercing »

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #443 on: February 24, 2011, 07:57:29 AM »
The halfling doesn't really know much about the creatures, but his familiar fills in the gaps pretty quickly.
"Bird-like = Vrock, their dancing is explosive.
Oozing = Babau.
They are all way too tough for you... physically anyway. Beware, they are spell-resistant as well.
"

Mael raises his whip as if he were about to use it, but it is just a ploy to get the nearby enemies - even the nearest Vrock - to look at him. Catching their eyes, he lets them know, only with body language at first, how little they matter to one like him who has risen.
"Chaos must give way to Law" he sneers in their minds.
His brown and gold eyes suddenly shine with depthless malice and even the immortal demons find their will wavering.

[OOC]
[spoiler]K: Planes - Mael: 16, 14
K: Planes - familiar: 28, 25

Move: Never Outnumbered skill trick (Intimidate every enemy within 10ft). Intimidate 32 for the Babaus, 28 for the Vrock (it's bigger): that sets the DC for their opposed level check.

He has ceased concentrating on Minor Image so it will last only 2 more rounds.

I have to run so I'll make another post with the rest of his actions, but knowing whether they succeed or not will be helpful anyway.
[/spoiler]
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #444 on: February 24, 2011, 08:10:51 AM »
[Mael][spoiler]
Ba1: 30 Ba2: 31; Vro1:35[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #445 on: February 24, 2011, 10:35:11 AM »
Mael's lips draw up in a thin smile as he senses he has prevailed. It had been close, but he had contingency plans anyway.

He still tip-toes carefully away from his enemies - no sense in being overconfident - and closer to the beguiler and the priest hiding in his tent.
"Don't worry, I'll protect you" he mock-whispers with a wink. His relative outward bravery does little to hide the tension: his whole body is taut.

Still, he draws himself up and puts another of his powers to use. He focuses exclusively on the Vrock that managed to overcome his taunt.
"I, Mael, cast you down. Your ties to the Abyss are severed, your minds are weak, and I bind your Name."
There is no mention of a truename in there, but somehow his words seem to carry virulent power.
The words echo at the same time telepathically in the mutant demon's mind.

Finally he claps his hands together and a silvery mist appears out of nowhere, curling around his body and partially obscuring his form.

[OOC]
[spoiler]The babaus get shaken, hence frightened. I don't know if you're against the Rules Compendium's rules in this matter as well, but it states that the worst state of fear lasts for the duration of the longest fear effect (here, the bardic effect).

Free: 5ft step to G32

Standard: Doomspeak vs Vrock1. It must make a DC 26 Will save (with the -2 penalty from shaken...) or take a -10 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks for 1 round.

Swift: activate Mithralmist armor. Mist in his square grants concealment.[/spoiler]

[Private for BP]
[spoiler]Azur has barely had time to warn Mael about the mutant demons before the dwarf crushes the lifespark of his vessel.
Should've seen that coming! he curses to himself. The timing isn't ideal, but finding himself shunted into the Ethereal he but has to find a new target.

And here his "master" is, offering him one on a platter. Brave Mael! Azur moves, hidden, and strikes like a viper, pitching his will against the Vrock's.

[OOC]
Move, try to possess Vrock 1 (Will save DC 26 - with penalties...)
[/spoiler]
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #446 on: February 24, 2011, 11:07:06 AM »
[PRIVATE for Mael][spoiler]
Phew, some lucky rolls for the Vrock!
31 vs Doomspeak, 27 vs posession. Yes, with the penalty from Shaken.
[/spoiler]

The five-headed Babaus became suddenly terrified of the halfling. They wavered and prepared to flee at the next chance.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 12:08:27 PM by Brainpiercing »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #447 on: February 25, 2011, 07:22:12 AM »
[Waiting for MARC and Doyle, before we conclude round 7. By the way, I believe Haste is still active on Cat and Torgthen, right?]

Cat had hoped that the fighting would be over for now - his small body was aching everywhere. He needed more time to heal - but that wasn't forthcoming, quickly.
His "master" was flanked by two demons, but he seemed to have done something to them - they were rolling their eyes and jabbering uncontrollably. So... with his wounded body being the way it was, and no specific order from Daelric... Cat snuck under the corpse to hide. Attacking from hiding was... better, anyway.

[Daelric][spoiler]Preparing to attack... he said privately to Daelric.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Cat's hide: 26. Duh, crappy roll.[/spoiler]

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #448 on: March 01, 2011, 08:04:15 AM »
The Marc makes a flying charge into the center of the Vrocks, attempting to Bullrush the largest one and seperate it from it's dancing comrades.

[spoiler]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2914888/  Damn!  Nat 20 on the opposed Strength check for the Bullrush!!! [/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #449 on: March 01, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »
There was no way for the Vrock to stop the titanic force that crashed into it. One of its draconic heads shot forward and dug into the MARC's metal body, but that was only a temporary setback for the construct. The other two Vrocks also shot bites towards the construct as the MARC plowed into the their comrade. The one on the left hit, the other scraped its teeth on the bulbous shoulder plate but did not get through.

[spoiler]
Unless your position on the map was wrong, you can only bullrush Vrock3. That means you can't actually charge him, (so your check should only be 38, but whatever.

AoO AC hit 38; 18 damage;
AoO 2: AC 35; 16 damage; percentile 41
AoO 3: AC hit 24, should miss

Opposed check result: 29. You can push him back a total of 15 feet, but you will have to push him into occupied squares. Now... I remember a rule that the bullrush victim will fall prone if that happens, but I can't find it, now. It only says that about the attacker if the attempt fails. Nevertheless, pushing all the Vrocks into a pile doesn't technically impose a condition that breaks the circle, unless one of them drops prone or is moved away from the others.

(Ok, I forgot: If you don't charge, anyway, you can simply move around Vrock 3 and bullrush one of the others. That works, you theoretically take one more AoO, I think.)

Now there is another surefire way for you to break the circle: Instead of announcing a bull-rush, announce an overrun. You take some more AoOs, but the defender will either get knocked prone (and break the circle), or go out of the way, which by commone sense, but not RAW, also breaks the circle. However, common sense aside (it mostly doesn't work in D&D anyway :)), you then still have your standard action to bull-rush the next guy out of the circle - and in that case 5 feet will suffice.

So tell me a) if you want to do it that second way or b) which of the Vrocks you want to hit with the bullrush. In case of a) The first one will then avoid and one of the other two can be pushed, we can let your rolls stand. You may take more AoOs for movement. In case of b) you would take another AoO, too.[/spoiler]

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #450 on: March 01, 2011, 06:08:45 PM »
[spoiler]OK l want to take whichever option let's my roll stand..it was a Nat 20!  I dinlt know about the overrun option.  By the way if I push the Vrock into an occupied square it takes any applicable AoO as well.  Pushing it out of the way should by all sense break the circle...[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #451 on: March 02, 2011, 08:08:48 AM »
[spoiler]Don't worry, I won't deprive you of your roll. Ok, let's take option b) then. You overrun Vrock3, who lets you pass and bullrush 1 or 2, out of the circle.

I'll update the map, shortly.[/spoiler]

The Vrock directly in front of the MARC ducked as the Huge construct barged into their circle. It and the others most certainly wanted to dish out some more passing blows, but their movements were already sluggish - they simply could not muster the energy.

With one Vrock pushed out of the circle, the dance was broken.

[spoiler]
Alright, raith0 hasn't been online in a while. I will NPC an action for him. He can re-roll it if he wishes, later.[/spoiler]

Seeing as the Vrocks were already not taking attacks on the MARC they could have had, Doyle picked up his weapon. He did not, however, attack any of the Vrocks. Using the power of his heritage he focused his strength on the two Vrocks behind the MARC. A gloud of glittering particles exploded into their midst - with intent to blind them. With a bit of luck, they did not resist the spell innately, and one of them began flailing about blindly.

[spoiler]
SR Vrock 3: 30, Nat 20; SR Vrock 1: 27; Will Save Vrock 3: 21; Will save Vrock 1: 15. Vrock 1 is blinded for 10 rounds.

Doyle's a lucky bastard :).[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:13:58 AM by Brainpiercing »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #452 on: March 03, 2011, 07:23:14 AM »
Round 8

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #453 on: March 03, 2011, 02:39:15 PM »
[spoiler]Maneuvers granted - Shield Block, White Raven Tactics, Mountain Hammer, Battle Leader's Charge, Iron Heart Surge
Martial Spirit stance

Battle Leader's Charge to L37, attacking Vro3, PA 2 +6 - 19+2+8=29, 2+13+6+10=31, by-passes DR

Fast heal 6

Current hp: 59

If the hit goes through, heal 7.

Edit: minor math error[/spoiler]

With his little legs a pumping, Torgthen charged, hammer first, at the bird figure MARC had left behind. "Hey bird brains, you the one that knocked me on the ground?" Asked the dwarf as swung with his hammer.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:32:24 PM by Sohala »
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #454 on: March 04, 2011, 05:12:59 AM »
Pushing back the Vrock with one hand, the Marc opens it's dragonmouthed hand and the tongue like Flamberge extends, seeking the heart of the demon.

[spoiler]Hit AC 22, probably doesn't fly.  If it hits I'll roll some damage.[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #455 on: March 04, 2011, 07:20:28 AM »
In spite of Torgthen's efforts, his hammer glanced off the ridiculously thick - and armoured - hide of the demon.

The MARC's blade likewise only grated on chain and horny skin, but did not penetrate.

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #456 on: March 05, 2011, 06:20:31 AM »
[spoiler]I believe it's the Vrock's turn now... I hit AC 22 which would normally be enough.  Sohala, I'm having a hard time deciphering your post...was that a 30 you rolled?  These things have been buffed signifigantly. Then again they aren't just Vrocks...they are -chimera- Vrocks.  VERY Warhammer Fantasy if you ask me.  Like Greater Daemons of Tzeentch...

The thing is...Marc at it's best is rolling with a +15 to hit.  He can then do a max of 4d6+15+6d6 or so.  I have a couple other options, like blowing them away and doing my regular 6d6 with tempest breath, or I can entngle them for half damage.  What I am getting at is these things are very tough and I'm not sure how best to tactically address the situation.  Any thoughts on what we can do to pull this one through?  

My thoughts would be to not split up.  Concentrate fire on one at a time.  Marc can do flyby attacks (but only doing 6d6 damage.  Of electricity (to which they are immune) or fire (which they have resistance of at least 10)... meaning I could probably -eventually- pick them off...but it wouls take SO many rounds that it'ld barely be fun even at a tabletop pace.

So....thoughts? [/spoiler]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 06:31:33 AM by Thistledown Thurbertaut »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #457 on: March 05, 2011, 02:41:14 PM »
[ooc][spoiler]
Well... IMHO the best option would be to deal some sort of decisive blow to them, to make them withdraw. I'm alerting you to this option, because it never seems to come up on D&D. These are intelligent creatures, not like the monsters you fought earlier. Basically showing them that they can't win - or only at significant cost - is almost as good as beating them outright. I'm trying to make a point that most enemies will try to save their lives if it becomes clear that they've lost, or can't fulfill their goals. Beating an encounter in this manner is just as good as when you kill everyone - it's not a computer game, after all :).

As to them being buffed: I took the template pretty literally. It does contain bags of natural armour, also I've decided that intelligent enemies should make some sort of use of their money and get at least basic items (just really basic, because I'm lazy). So... well, they do not have level-appropriate AC. That being said, I think Torgthen should be able to hit them, if he rolls better and doesn't PA (he rolled an 8, I think). The MARC... well, it will be hard to hit them against their normal AC. And Doyle will also have to use other things at his disposal, I think.[/spoiler]

The smaller demons who had planned on attacking Daelric seemed strangely confused - they simply jabbered incoherently from many mouths. The two who had targetted Mael made a point of getting away from him. But before they did, a frantic telepathic scream resounded in everyone's mind. The halfling! Kill him, he's terrible! Then they wasted no more time, and teleported away, out of sight.

The Vrock's circle had been broken - they could not devote themselves fully to the destruction of those who had murdered their chimeric brethren. The dance had been a ploy, anyway - rarely was it effective in open battle. It had been a bargaining tool - they had hoped the threat alone would stop the murderous dwarf and allow them to free the bulette.

Now they would face their enemy in direct battle. Many heads grinned at the futile attempts to penetrate their defences with direct attacks, but they were not stupid - weary as they were. First and foremost, they felt the terror that exuded from the halfling - indeed it could cost them their victory entirely. And one of them had been blinded now, too.
Right behind you! the one the MARC had pushed blared at the blinded one. He turned his own attention to the hulking construct - it was wise to not give something so large an opening, even though it had not been able to hit the last time. It's many heads and claws closed on in on the MARC.
[quick version: dragon bite hits 32, 13 damage, Gore 34, 10 damage, Talon 39, 8 dam, Talon 36, 5 dam.]

The blinded one turned around to bring his breath weapons to bear on the halfling - but just as he was about to, the terrifying presence - even without being able to see him - let him hesitate - and indeed stop entirely. Angered and awed, it spun wildly with indecision, before releasing a terrible shriek, that hit everyone within 30feet of it with a wash of numbing power.
[Everyone in the yellow circle make a Fort DC 28, 1 rd Stun]

The third one coldly stared at the powerless attack of the dwarf, and quickly assessed that the primary danger was indeed not from the physical fighters - it was from those they had categorised as squishies, earlier. It turned on its heel, ignoring the dwarf, and lumbered wearily over to the human. It was too weary to charge, and could not pounce, anyway, so instead of hitting just once, its draconic maws gurgled, smoke and then spat forth devastating elemental forces - a crackling line of lightning and a cone of fire.

[spoiler]
Torgthen can AoO (but must keep the PA and mods from before)

[Ref DC 28 half; 9 electricity, 16 fire]
Cat's saves: 29 vs fire, the line doesn't hit him since he doesn't fill the square and has cover.
[/spoiler]
[PRIVATE for ME][spoiler]
Lightning next, fire wait 1[/spoiler]

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:25:30 AM by Brainpiercing »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #458 on: March 05, 2011, 03:33:13 PM »
About to launch into yet more spellcasting, the Vrock's screech was the last thing Isul expected. The sudden harsh noise left him reeling to recover.

[Spoiler]Fort 18. Couldn't actually make that one.[/spoiler]
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #459 on: March 05, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »
[spoiler]Fort save 30

PA 2 +6, 19+14=33 4+13+6=23

If the hit goes through, heal 7.[/spoiler]

"Hey! Where are you going? I'm talking to you!" Yelled Torgthen as he swung his hammer at the back of his foe.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress