Author Topic: Anauroch - The Great Desert  (Read 52186 times)

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unseelie Fae
    • Email
Re: Anauroch - The Great Desert
« Reply #380 on: February 01, 2011, 08:47:39 AM »
[spoiler]I figure with combat it went so for speed of play I posted my next action which will occur on whatever BP decided was my initative.  I'm retreating so I can charge it next round.[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #381 on: February 01, 2011, 09:29:57 AM »
[ooc][spoiler]Good call on starting to actually kill them. You still have a few hundred HP to wear down. :D If you don't kill it, now, it's just going to flee and come back once the debuffs have worn off. Even without the fear effect it will probably flee next round, since it can't do anything anymore, except maybe attack some squishies... hmm... It could grapple some squishy and fly away with him, and then eat him...

Isul and Torgthen can at least still post before I post the dires.[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #382 on: February 01, 2011, 11:00:03 AM »
[Round 2, Isul]
Isul quickly runs through the motions of another spell, flinging conjured ropes made of some sort of plant at the creature that quickly wrap around him and hold him down before moving from the tree.

[Spoiler]kelpstrand, all three at the bullete. Touch attacks of 19, 25, 17. Grapples of 31, 35, 39. He has to escape each strand individually on his turns. Moving to i33, right in front of mael.

People within the fishes take another 14 force damage.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #383 on: February 01, 2011, 11:39:30 AM »
[ooc][spoiler] I rolled the grapple checks, then I found that I had a too low bonus in my roller sheet, and rolled them again. Now they suck. Duh.

But you still have to actually kill it. :)[/spoiler]
A great panic grapped the chimera as waves of terror washed over it. But before it could turn and flee, it was tied down by three strands of strange plantlike matter, and fell crashing to the ground. It barely landed on its feet.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #384 on: February 01, 2011, 12:42:27 PM »
[spoiler]Maneuvers granted - Battle Leader Charge, Iron Heart Surge, Shield Block, White Raven Tactics
Martial Spirit stance

Current HP: 66, 5 damage in steely resolve

Full attack, 2 PA for +6
Attack 1: 13+20=33, 1+20=21
Attack 2: 20+15=35, 3+20=23
Crit confirm: 20+15=35, 8+40=48
Damage by-passes DR if it matters.
Sadly no swift action...heal self 3 for each hit, and fast heal 2

5ft step to Q43[/spoiler]

Torgthen admired the cat's fighting spirit for such a small creature.

Having recovered from offsetting charge of the beasts, he released his shield, which took up a floating position next to the dwarf, "Is that all you got, huh? Well let me return the favor!" he then gripped his hammer in both hands, swinging with both force and accuracy. Waves of vigor rushed through the dwarf as he did so. With a quick tactical shuffle he readied for the next attack.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #385 on: February 01, 2011, 03:06:08 PM »
[spoiler]was that a natural 20 confirmed with a natural 20?[/spoiler]
The dire lion chimera in front of the dwarf was pounded by extremely powerful attacks. It wavered under the force of the hammer, but it did not go down, yet.
Enraged from being wounded so badly it followed after the dwarf, and retaliated. It's claws and teeth again closed on the dwarf, and some found their mark. It tried to grab the dwarf in it's teeth and then bring its hind claws to bear, too.

[spoiler]
AC hit Claw 25 13 damage; Claw 37, 7 damage; Dragon bite 39 19 damage; Dragon bite 29, ; Lion Bite 24, ; Gore 27, ; Gore 22, ;
I won't bother with all the damage on the clear misses.
Attempt to grab with the Dragon bite that hits: Grapple check: 42
If that succeeds, Rake with hind claws:
AC hit 41, 10 damage; 29, 6 damage. If you're grappled your AC might change, I tend to forget these things...[/spoiler]

Under its belly, Cat had been ignored - foolishly, for now it was his turn to strike again. The tiny animal lept up against the belly of the monster above him, and clung to it with all four claws. The chimera tried to shake him off, but he doggedly held on, and then dug with his hind claws. Blood gushed over him, and by the time he was done the chimera's life was hanging by a thread.

[spoiler]
Full attack to initiate attaching vs flat-footed enemy; two claws hit.
Grapple check without size mods (and using dex) to attach: 33 vs 31.
Rakes, one misses. [/spoiler]

The other dire lion Chimera blindly flew a few feet forward, out of the fish swarm, and then turned towards the sounds of the ongoing battle. Smoke gurgled from its nostrils and then the two Dragon heads spat forth jets of cold and acid, engulfing everone in that melee. It's compatriot yelled an inarticulate warning, but it was too late. The cold and acid ate away whatever life was left in it, and it collapsed on top of Cat, who just barely managed to not be fully buried under the dead brute.

[spoiler]
Torgthen, Cat and Chimera are caught in the breath weapons.
Ref DC 23 half
Line of Acid 17 damage
Cone of cold 10 damage
dire 2 saves on the line, doesn't on the cone.

Since it's not dropping from height, I'm not giving Cat any crushing damage.

There weren't really any other sensible things for it to do.
[PRIVATE for ME][spoiler]
Acid in 2 (wait 1)
Cold in 1 (wait 0)[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:21:15 PM by Brainpiercing »

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #386 on: February 01, 2011, 04:57:30 PM »
[spoiler]Small dude ain't making that grapple.

Failed relfexs

20 hp left, 5 in resolve[/spoiler]

Torgthen tried his best to dodge the attacks, but one of the swipes of the claws won through, knocking him off balance, right into the jaws of the dragon head. He struggled in the jaws to no avail, "Gah! Put me down damn you!" The cold and acid followed shortly after, and being locked in the jaws didn't help him one bit, but afterwards he was free, "Alright, I am getting tired of these things..."
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #387 on: February 01, 2011, 06:02:59 PM »
[spoiler]So I am pretty much posting what I do after whatever post BP describes what is happening with/to/ Marc.  Let me know when it's my turn again and I will do something nasty...

BP your last post reminded me of crushing damage.  So if Marc falls/stomps on the grappled/weakened/entangled/burning chimera, that's 32,000 lbs/200= 160 d6 damage right?  :smirk[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:07:25 PM by Thistledown Thurbertaut »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #388 on: February 01, 2011, 06:18:17 PM »
[spoiler]So I am pretty much posting what I do after whatever post BP describes what is happening with/to/ Marc.  Let me know when it's my turn again and I will do something nasty...

BP your last post reminded me of crushing damage.  So if Marc falls/stomps on the grappled/weakened/entangled/burning chimera, that's 32,000 lbs/200= 160 d6 damage right?  :smirk[/spoiler]
[spoiler]No, you can do that to inanimate objects, but if you start doing it to critters then rocks will fall.... you get my drift. :devil[/spoiler]

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #389 on: February 01, 2011, 06:33:49 PM »
[spoiler]Awww...but Marc is a construct and therefore, technically an object...and it weighs 16 tons so...  http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm 

I suppose though if we open that can then you can start figuring out how many tons of rocks are in that avalanche...

Boo.  :([/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #390 on: February 01, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »
"Perhaps you should head over there and help our dwarven friend" Mael suggests to the Marc, noting that the lone armoured warrior is starting to look the worse for wear.

"This one is under control" he adds, looking down on the chimeric beast as if he had smitten it himself.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #391 on: February 02, 2011, 02:44:19 AM »
[spoiler]I think I am still waiting for BP to post the consequences of my last action before I post a new one, but Mael's suggestion has been noted.[/spoiler]

Snizor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #392 on: February 03, 2011, 02:30:39 AM »
Seeing that the largest of the chimeric beasts was well under control, Daelric moved to assist Cat with dealing with the remaining lion-like chimera. Muttering under his breath, Daelric invoked some of his magic to increase the alacrity of his feline compatriot (and the drawf).

OOC:
[spoiler]
Daelric moves to M38 and casts haste on Cat and Torgthen.
[/spoiler]
The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #393 on: February 03, 2011, 06:15:20 AM »
[ooc][spoiler]Just as a reminder for next round: The chimera is flying at 10ft height. For a small creature that's about a DC20 (running) jump check to reach in melee. (By strict RAW 24) For a tiny creature like Cat... a DC32. But luckily haste gives a boost, so Cat can't actually fail that check at this point :).[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #394 on: February 03, 2011, 12:16:13 PM »
[Thistle][spoiler]I'm going to give you another chance to change your round 3 action, since it's sort of useless at this moment. [/spoiler]
Round Three

The huge Chimera was bound in Kelp and so frozen with fear that it could do nothing but stare wide-eyed at the creatures that it had a few seconds ago still regarded as valid for consumption.

[ooc][spoiler]
The SRD only applies to Cowering condition to a panicked foe who his hindered from fleeing, it does not stack fear effects above panicked. I will have to say that I consider the Rules Compendium a secondary source, and will disregard it when it contradicts any thing in the PHB and DMG. (=SRD)
So of course the critter is cowering now, and will stay that way as long as the Kelp is holding it. It also can't try to free itself, because it can take no actions while cowering, but it will wriggle around when you approach, so CDGs aren't yet possible. Interestingly enough the Panicked entry in the SRD specifies that cowering creatures use Total defense, while the Cowering entry says that they can take no actions - and Total Def is a standard action.

[PRIVATE for ME][spoiler]
It's got a -2 penalty to AC, and no dex bonus. Even so its regular AC is still 30, (touch 6 :)). If you roll well it just might be nibbled to death by the fish over the 8 remaining rounds, but it still has a lot of HP left, so an average roll probably won't kill it. I'm not sure on total def, that would bring AC up to 34(10 touch).[/spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 01:29:11 PM by Brainpiercing »

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #395 on: February 03, 2011, 01:32:19 PM »
[spoiler]Jumping is out of the question...

Maneuvers granted - Battle Leader Charge, Iron Heart Surge, Shield Block, White Raven Tactics, Mountain Hammer
Martial Spirit stance

Total defense
Move to M43
Shift essentia around, 2 out of robe (10% miss now), 2 out of helm (base ac 33 now), 2 into mantle (+4 healing), 2 into shield (resist energy 10)

Fast heal 6

Current hp: 21
[/spoiler]

Starting to feel the wounds of battle taking their toll, Torgthen assumed a more defensive posture, but not counting himself out, he made his way to the other side of the flying foe. As he went, the mist around him partial dispersed, while his shield took on a slight multi-colored glow.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #396 on: February 03, 2011, 02:08:24 PM »
[spoiler]I'm not going to keep making new filenames for the maps. It should be enough to just update it. You can always redownload from the same link as before.[/spoiler]

Cat was feeling the heat and excitement of battle, and the rush of having slain a foe (at least partly) still made his fur stand on end and made his limbs tingle. He was not daunted by the size of the creatures any longer - after all, they had not actually really attacked him. The one that was hovering in the air blindly was his next target, and with the added boost of the spell that quickened his every move, he charged straight at the flying critter leapt up into the air to reach it. His claws dug into the foe's thick hide and tried to hold on, as before, bringing teeth and hind claws to bear as well. The movement fired his strength further, and - unlike when he could attack a foe unawares, but nevertheless, his claws dug deeper. However, this time his hind claws did not get a hold, and the Chimera shrugged him off, dropping him to the ground below. Instinctively he twisted during the fall and landed expertly on his feet.

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #397 on: February 03, 2011, 06:02:25 PM »
"Perhaps you should head over there and help our dwarven friend" Mael suggests to the Marc, noting that the lone armoured warrior is starting to look the worse for wear.

"This one is under control" he adds, looking down on the chimeric beast as if he had smitten it himself.

"Hmmzzt...yes I see.  Changing targets."

The flying Marc fired it's rockets and hovered over the other chimera, belching a line of gooey napalm as he pased over it.

[spoiler]Nice touch with Cat landing on his feet.   ;) Can I use the same roles as before since I didn't use them yet?  Flyby attack,  dropping a line directly on the creature so as not to catch Cat or Torgthen in the effect.[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #398 on: February 03, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »
[ooc][spoiler] Whatever, use the rolls...I think after you've all debuffed them to hell and back we won't need to actually roll the rest of the combat. But I feel a pang of pity for whatever BSF will have to actually kill all those completely helpless enemies....
BUT, this is STILL speculation, insofar as we don't know whether you'll actually be able to kill them in the next 10 rounds or so. So please keep rolling...[/spoiler]

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #399 on: February 03, 2011, 06:53:19 PM »
[spoiler]What's a BSF?  And ok...then roll a save vs. DC 31 for half damage.  Full damage is 13 half is 6. Either way pass or fail it's entangled for 4 rounds and will take 2d6 damage each round (or more if I keep stalking on napalm...)[/spoiler]