Author Topic: Anauroch - The Great Desert  (Read 52182 times)

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
Re: Anauroch - The Great Desert
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 06:09:24 AM »
[ooc][spoiler]Damn, you're right. I somehow thought Goblins were medium. No, wait, I still had that thing when you were enlarged from the last fight in my head. So that's why... Anyway, good call. Next time I'll be sure to remember...[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 07:55:44 AM »
Devanar chuckled to Mael.
'Oh yes, Lundeth is still around. We wiped out a larger demon patrol that had approached the town, hoping that whatever intelligence they were gathering won't reach the main force. If the main force were to suddenly teleport in right on top of us that would be a major catastrophe, but I guess that's no different for any smaller town around here. Ladydove... now... they have some stronger defensive contracts, but Lundeth is not so lucky. We can only beg for help if something big goes around, and then we don't know how fast it'll get there...'
He noticed he was rambling and broke off.
'Now... as to signs of Demons, we haven't seen any, at least no fresh ones. We've been following some sort of trail that Maglu'glath spotted, which has been hidden, apparently. We're hoping to find something new once we find out who made it.'

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 12:09:30 PM »
It doesn't take Mael long to make his decision.
"I'll go with you."
The assertion is made with a force of conviction that (is meant to) leave little room for others to object.

"You already know there is a 'main force' - that's something. It rather clearly indicates someone or something is driving these demons, else they'd revert to bickering and eventually splitting up."
Mael seems focused on the demons and rather indifferent to the woes that might befall Lundeth.
"It's good that you have a trail."

He nods in Mag's general direction, unsure how to place the goblin in the hierarchy of those present.
The priest seems to be in charge.

[OOC]
Diplomacy 36

For BP only:
[spoiler]That's Azur speaking.[/spoiler]
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 12:22:19 PM »
[ooc Private for Snizor][spoiler]Is the telepathic speech in italics in the end towards Mag, and only Mag? You might want to clarify that...[/spoiler]

Devanar nodded, then shrugged.
'Certainly, come along. At least... I have no objections.'
He looked around at his compatriots for approval, then went on.
'We do know that there is a main force. It seems they have openened a permanent portal in the desert somewhere and made a large encampment there - at least that's what Lundeth scouts have said. I do assume some bigshot ist with them, that much is true. The scouts reported seeing at least one Balor, temporarily, and that's bad enough. Apparently Baldur's Gate is readying an expeditionary force to destroy this camp, but... well, they haven't yet. I suppose you can't just waltz into a demon camp with Balors present....'
He trailed off.
'What is your aim in investigating the demons? What do you hope to find out?'

[ooc][spoiler]
Devanar's Sense Motive to detect lies: 29
Devanar's Diplo: 33[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 02:05:13 PM »
"I have no specific aim other than investigation: I am here to gather as much information as possible and then report it.

Of course if there is a lever with a "Close Portal" sign next to it I'll seize the opportunity.
" Mael jokes mirthlessly.

"Balors ? I guess we'll need to be extra careful. Hopefully we can get close enough to sight the camp without getting sighted ourselves... That way we can at least observe the patterns of activity of the army. Otherwise I fear we won't be much good."

[OOC]
We never really discussed Mael's "orders" in detail, so I figured them out myself. Feel free to add to it.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 01:49:27 AM »
By this point Maglu'glath had tired of listening to the chatter and resumed checking for tracks. The cat had followed him, as if to evaluate, which irritated him.

"Yes, well enough with the chit chat. You can talk and walk at the same time. The wind is starting to pick up, and there will be nothing left to track after that."
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 07:17:55 AM »
In many cases silence is worth an assent - as a barrister, Mael knows that even better than most. He urges Don - his mount - forward.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 03:31:25 PM »
Devanar nodded.
'Certainly, honoured Maglu'glath, we should continue on the trail.'
He mounted his tortured horse and fell in slightly behind Maglu'glath, but turned again towards Mael.
'I do suppose we should not get too close to the demon camp. I don't want to get within a mile of a Balor, to be absolutely honest.'

Cat snorted dismissively in Daelric's head, but left it at that. He scampered off behind Mag, attempting, unsuccessfully to find what the old goblin was seeing in the sand.

[ooc][spoiler]
I guess that gave you too little to go on. Actually, nothing, since YOU guys don't know what the tracks are, nor where they are leading. WEEELLL. Let's see....[/spoiler]

[Private for Mag and Agnak]
[spoiler]
The trail, as they had found it, wound - but purposefully - towards the strange pinnacle of rock, seemed to circle around it for a bit, and then continued on, at a marked angle to the previous general direction - northward.[/spoiler]

Mag could follow the tracks for several miles more, they ran relatively straight further northwards into the desert. Then it seemed further efforts had been undertaken to cover them up - including an attempt at masking the scents.
[Please make a survival check for tracking.]

[Private for Daelric]
[spoiler]
As they had been walking for several hours, Daelric received a sending spell. [I'm assuming these don't have a public display, i.e. are telepathic on arrival. It doesn't really say.]
"Still being followed. Will attempt to shake them off, then get back to you. You can destroy the note now."
[ooc:][spoiler]You can make a detect magic with a caster level check on the note if you're quick. If you make a DC24:[spoiler]The note had apparently had a Spymaster's Coin spell [CS] cast on it. Used in this case to get the drop on an otherwise unknown contact.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[Private for Mael]
[spoiler]
It seemed Vargamion had really pulled some strings. The orders were as vague as they got - Find out what the demons want in the desert! -, and apparently not without danger. It almost seemed like the little devil was trying to get rid of him.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 08:25:08 AM by Brainpiercing »

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »
Mael makes small talk with Devanar then with Daelric, who seems equally unthreatening.
They get to hear more than they would like about the vagaries of life as an itinerant scribe/barrister/scholar.

[OOC]
I wouldn't have dared say it out loud but yes, the first version was a little light.  :P
If Snizor drops by we can RP the conversation, but I think the ball is in the trackers' court for now...

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 11:20:58 PM »
[survival=36]

Mag traced along the sand, the ever diminishing tracks becoming harder to follow as the wind scattered what little was left to follow. This was much harder than tracking underground, where a footprint or smell could linger for days. Out here, the sun and the elements shredded it all away. Still, there was just barely enough to follow, which was more than could be said for cat who was clearly only pretending to be tracking along.
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 07:40:01 AM »
[Private for Mag][spoiler]
As Maglu'glath followed the tracks, which now seemed to come from only one heavy individual with a distinct, mineral-like scent, that was just barely detectable above the normal smells of the desert there came a point when his delecate nose was suddenly assaulted by by a vile putrid  odour, totally alien to the desert. It hung like a cloud in the air, and also emanated from the sand, over a wide area. The already weak odour of his quarry was completely obscured.

And just about the same time the tracks just stopped. He could make out some shuffling in the sand, as if the individual had moved backwards and forwards, and then it was gone.

There was something else, though. As he searched for visible traces he found a small shard of glass, and then a teeny scrap of paper. And then some more of both. And yet more. They all seemed to radiate from a central point, forming a circle roughly 20 yards in diameter.
[/spoiler]

[For everyone EXCEPT Mag:][spoiler]
As they followed the old goblin, who led them with confidence through the desert, they suddenly became aware of a sweet, almost putrid smell, like that of the cheapest perfume, used only in the basest of brothels throughout the realms...[/spoiler]

Cat voiced his disgust loudly in everyone's head.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:21:41 PM by Brainpiercing »

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 09:51:24 AM »
"Oh my" is Mael's only reaction. He takes out a scented handkerchief and holds it in front of his nose.

[OOC for BP only]
[spoiler]Azur uses Detect Magic and begins to scan the area.
Spellcraft 27
[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 11:32:31 AM »
[Private for Mael]
[spoiler]There are active magical auras on many of his fellow travellers, but the area itself is non-magical, and there are no lingering auras left in the area.[/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 04:08:41 AM »
Mag had been tracking dutifully across the sand when suddenly he reared back, his wide nose turned up in a scowl that would make even a goblin mother slap her own child. His grimace was matched by cat's rather vulgar vociferation just moments later.

"Whoever it was, they decided to obscure their tracks from here on. There's nothing left to follow, and the scent... ugh, it's like they rolled a red herring in some trog juice. There's some odd pattern of glass in the sand though, as if a container had shattered or exploded... "

ooc
[spoiler]Can I tell if the smell originated from the glass?[/spoiler]
---

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2010, 08:53:37 PM »
[ooc][spoiler]Damn, I thought it wasn't my turn to say something, but I actually CAN![/spoiler]

[Private for Mag][spoiler]
The glass fragments did indeed show a strong residue of the odour, more than on the surrounding sand.[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Mael leans forward in his dog-saddle to peer at the mess, then retreats precipitously.
"You'll get no help from me, mister. I have no idea what took place here.

If no one else does, I suggest we be on our way - at least this doesn't seem dangerous.
"

[OOC]
[spoiler]I didn't think I had anything to say either. Do I ?

:)[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2010, 09:15:59 PM »
[ooc][Spoiler]
I don't know... In my table group this is where I ring the bell and say...
"Ding ding ding... ROLEPLAY" :D

That being said, I don't need to do that, here.[/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 06:03:52 PM »
Sniffing the air again with disgust... "Isn't this what your surface dwelling females use for mating purposes?"
---

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 07:25:25 AM »
Devanar coughed derisively.
'I'd rather hope not. It smells like perfume alright, but rather the type to cover up extensive body odour than one to enthrall a man. And it certainly seems like they've managed to cover up their odours rather well.'

He walked an aimless circle then adressed Maglu'glath.
'So... is this the end of the trail then? Or can you find it again?'

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 08:34:13 AM »
"You know either too little or too much of our 'mating' rituals, Mr Goblin" Mael remarks with a smirk hidden behind his kerchief.

"Let me see if I can summon some help, to give us a higher vantage point."

The diminutive redhead begins to whisper something inaudible. Nothing seems to happen at first.

[OOC for Mindsighters]
[spoiler]A mind with Outsider type and Int 16 appears in Mael's vicinity.[/spoiler]

[OOC for BP]
[spoiler]Mael sends Azur up in the air to scout/try and spot a disturbance far away.
Spot 22[/spoiler]