Author Topic: Help me Rescue the Damsel in Distress  (Read 1922 times)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
Help me Rescue the Damsel in Distress
« on: December 07, 2009, 02:28:46 AM »
I'm running into a bit of a challenge: My brother's girlfriend is joining one of our regular 3.5 D&D sessions. She's got experience with tabletop RPGs, and I've been told she's got experience with D&D, but after talking to her it seems fairly limited. She is no optimizer, that much is for sure.

First, some background.
We began this campaign back in late Summer with a new DM, as part of our 2-week interval rotation of games (currently 3 games rotating). This one started at level 1 with the conceit that characters had to be fairly simple. No outrageous classes or races, no shenanigans. It's set in Faerun, and what I've been told since I've been out of town for school is that the group hasn't been getting much gold let alone magic items for rewards, and as such there is limited access to items (standard wealth-by-level might have been thrown out the window).

The current group consists of (to my recollection): Two rogues, a ninja (CAd), a swashbuckler, a monk (formerly a barbarian, now deceased), a Cleric (tanking-oriented), and if I'm not mistaken, a sorcerer (possibly blast-oriented). Oh, and my character, a Druid (though I had to go with Shapeshift variant).

As you can see, this is a fair mess. But it gets worse.

You see, the girlfriend wants to play a Bard. That's not too bad, she can help buff us, so long as she stays out of trouble. A few extra points to-hit is never bad.
However, she also decided she wanted to be an elf. And that she's working toward the Cloaked Dancer PrC (she's breaking the first commandment of optimization! Heresy!). We're currently at level 5, and her two feats, as chosen, are Dodge and Mobility.
Her final stats are: Str 12, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 16 - The group uses a special custom PB system (75 points from 0, point-for-point), and this is after racial and level modifiers.

My question is, what can I suggest to her to make this a competent character in the future? As it stands, her hit points are atrocious, and her defenses aren't likely to be much better. She's dead-set on Race, class, PrC, feats, etc, as given above. However, if I can help guide her forward, I might be able to help salvage it, in the future at least.

Any suggestions are welcome. Remember, shenanigans are highly discouraged, so I need to be crafty to get anything passed by the DM. Nothing cheesy (if it smells of gouda, probably best to forget it, unless it can be masked by another scent ;)).

So far, allowable books are Core, most completes, some various splatbooks, though everything ought to be run by the DM. I was able to get a feat passed from Champions of Valor, for instance, though it was a fairly innocent request, and helped more for flavor than anything.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Help me Rescue the Damsel in Distress
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 03:58:02 AM »
Thankfully, this one is easy.  She's a Bard, so can get into Sublime Chord easily.  PrC out into Swiftblade ASAP, then SC and finish Swiftblade, while making sure to get 9th level spells.  Finish with Abjurant Champion.  You should end up with 16 BAB/17 CL at the very least, more if she's got Melodic Casting and uses Song of Arcane Power.  Swiftblades rock in combat, and if the DM is cool with it, make sure she's a Star Elf for the bonus to Cha.  Pick up Slippers of Battledancing for Cha to attack and damage, and watch the carnage!
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 04:47:47 AM »
That might be easy if she weren't dead set on going into Cloaked Dancer. Those 5 levels really eat into her ability to get those 9th level spells. I might be able to convince her to switch some skill points around and proceed through PrC's in such a way to help make the build easier to work into that, but I don't think we'll be able to get higher than 8th level spells. Not that anything above 6th isn't already pretty darn good for a Bard; It's just difficult, especially since I've got to treat her as new to this. She's not going to be very receptive to complex concepts, or at least not as responsive to them.

It's definitely a good idea though, and I'll see how much of it I may or may not be able to introduce to her. Certainly working in Sublime Chord should be easy enough, given the higher level spells. I don't play Bards, so it kind of escaped my notice on the first pass-by.  :)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 05:05:16 AM »
Maybe also play up on the versatility aspect of being able to lay down the melee smack with the front liners if she wants, and also maybe mention that Swiftblade + Elusive Target makes you nigh unhittable with all that miss chance.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 07:39:43 AM »
Also very good ideas. She should at least be able to make use of Elusive Target even if we can't get Swiftblade passed by the DM.

Thanks! :D

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 08:16:59 AM »
The black blood under my black hat would boil if I didn't advocate bringing in a nightmare wizard if the DM banned Swiftblade as a knee-jerk reaction to a gish that doesn't suck :P
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 12:32:38 PM »
I think it's mainly because it's from an online source and not in a book. :)