Author Topic: Need a Little Flavor Help  (Read 2794 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Need a Little Flavor Help
« on: June 10, 2008, 09:44:13 PM »
I'm working on a base class similar in flavor to the Mythic Exemplar and Paragnostic Apostle from Complete Champion (in that the class is based around a number of legendary heroes) and to the Binder from Tome of Magic (in that they draw their abilities from something else), but I'm at a flavorful standstill due to my ability to access my books. I don't have access to a vast majority of my sources, and as such I have no information on DnD's major heroes (aside from the PCs themselves).

I was wondering if I could get a general summary of any of the non-deitific myths that are in the fluff of DnD, including notable powers the hero in those myths used?

Think of it like summarizing the Greek myths for someone, while including the notable powers of each hero. But for DnD, not actual myths.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
Re: Need a Little Flavor Help
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 04:35:24 AM »
Silly question, I know, but which world? Faerun, Eberron, Krynn, Athas, Sigil,...?
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:26:06 AM »
Hmm...There are several myths of the kind you describe in the Races series. Once I find my books (people keep borrowing them for extended lengths) I can assist.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 02:22:30 PM »
Silly question, I know, but which world? Faerun, Eberron, Krynn, Athas, Sigil,...?

Any and all of them, though the less campaign-specific the better. I don't mind campaign-specific ones in the least, but it just makes the adaptation section that much easier.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Guyr Adamantine

• Donkey Kong
  • Chaotic Evil and loving it.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 11:37:46 AM »
Interesting... Well there's Reshar, from the ToB. His power? He's a kung-fu genius. His quest? He united the Nine Swords and built the Temple, a super dojo.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 01:14:11 PM »
Interesting... Well there's Reshar, from the ToB. His power? He's a kung-fu genius. His quest? He united the Nine Swords and built the Temple, a super dojo.
His favourite colour: blue. *Walks across bridge*

Er, sorry. :-[

What about the starmetal from the legendary comet Alhazarde used by the Green Star Adept? The demons used by an Acolyte of the Skin? Entropy used by an Entropomancer? (being able to control spheres of annihilation isn't likely to be useful, but it's cool)
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 08:55:34 PM »
His favourite colour: blue. *Walks across bridge*

Er, sorry. :-[

What about the starmetal from the legendary comet Alhazarde used by the Green Star Adept? The demons used by an Acolyte of the Skin? Entropy used by an Entropomancer? (being able to control spheres of annihilation isn't likely to be useful, but it's cool)

That's the kind of stuff.

I think I need to clarify a bit. I'm looking for details of special powers (class features, etc) or spells or items that the legendary beings of DnD used to make themselves heroes/villains.

How Hercules had his incredible strength and supernatural toughness; the Pegasus that Bellrophon rode to slay the Chimera. Myths in the fluff of DnD and the powers or abilities mentioned inside those myths.

Though now that I think about it I may have an easier time just using Wikipedia or something similar to find such information.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 06:14:03 PM »
I just remembered...Artifacts.

Vecna's Hand and Eye.

The Sword of Kas.

Something to do with Acererak and the Tomb of Horrors.

Maybe Book of Vile Darkness/Exalted Deeds.

Mace of St. Cuthbert.

Orbs of Dragonkind.

Shield of Prator.

Feyd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 03:10:20 PM »
Machine of Lum the Mad!