Author Topic: Can Rattata really drop Orcus in one round?  (Read 10454 times)

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
Re: Can Rattata really drop Orcus in one round?
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 01:37:36 PM »
@Focus Sash/Endeavor/Extremespeed(priority +2, 'member?) does it in 2 turns.  :)

[EDIT]: Unfortunately, the only way to pull that combo off is straight up hacking, or Mew. Going with Quick Attack over Extremespeed, on the other hand, is possible with a rattata. A poor-natured no-EV'd IronBall-holding Rattata could probably pull the combo off easily enough.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 01:43:14 PM by AlterFrom »
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 01:40:59 PM »
Ah, I never played DP.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 01:48:05 PM »
Provided he doesn't need it to win initiative, he can circumvent the Tail Swipe by using his ability to force the DM to treat any single d20 roll as a 1.

Gojirazard

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 02:01:14 PM »
I expected this to involve an ability that allowed him to survive any attack with at least one HP, an ability that sets enemy HP to his own current HP, and a first strike type ability that does at least one damage before Orcus gets to act again. *shrugs*

Let's see if anyone gets that reference.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. This might enlighten the others: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTkLDGtu36Q

Edit: On-topic... On page 210--
Orcus is one of the most powerful creatures that adventurers can ever hope to defeat. Unfortunately for them, he is rarely encountered alone.

This has been mentioned before, but it was worthy of repeating.

Also, I notice he's got some problems with his items. Braces of Defense is a level 27 item, not a level 22 item. I didn't bother to check them all, though. This alone likely bumps his funds into the too much zone, though.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:25:25 PM by Gojirazard »

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 03:40:40 PM »
tsuyo, you were way off.  Endure/Endeavor/Quick Attack/Shadow Ball ftw.

My pokemon competitive ability is the inverse of my optimization ability.
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

Gojirazard

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 04:21:08 PM »
tsuyo, you were way off.  Endure/Endeavor/Quick Attack/Shadow Ball ftw.

My pokemon competitive ability is the inverse of my optimization ability.

Commx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 04:22:17 PM »
Heh, there was a time where I pretty much knew the Pokedex by heart (although I forgot most of it by now, and can't really say it helps me optimize D&D). Should I be ashamed of myself now?

On Topic: Rather than trying to figure out if his build works or does not work and why, shouldn't we be trying to find our own way of killing Orcus as fast and certain as possible? With Blood Pulse, we only need to figure out how to move him ~430 squares in one turn to finish him off...

munin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • I may or may not be a Quantum Taoist
    • MemEng
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 04:29:47 PM »
Heh, there was a time where I pretty much knew the Pokedex by heart (although I forgot most of it by now, and can't really say it helps me optimize D&D). Should I be ashamed of myself now?

On Topic: Rather than trying to figure out if his build works or does not work and why, shouldn't we be trying to find our own way of killing Orcus as fast and certain as possible? With Blood Pulse, we only need to figure out how to move him ~430 squares in one turn to finish him off...

Mosh him over the edge of a cliff?
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan/A stately Pleasure-dome decree/Where Alph, the sacred river, ran/Through caverns measureless to man/Down to a sunless sea

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 04:32:08 PM »

He's got wings, ya know.

Commx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 04:35:48 PM »
That's the big problem. Pushing him off a cliff or other 'environmental movement' doesn't work on him, so we need to do it in another way, which is probably more complicated. (Unless there is an easy way I don't know of which allows us to get a +400 Wisdom Modifier...)

munin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • MemEng
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 04:44:45 PM »

He's got wings, ya know.

Oh, right, of course.

Perhaps if you stunned him; if you could keep him from taking actions for a certain length of time, he would neither be able to move nor teleport, and could then be moved relatively safely...

....and -then- you could move him off the edge of a cliff or something?
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan/A stately Pleasure-dome decree/Where Alph, the sacred river, ran/Through caverns measureless to man/Down to a sunless sea

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 06:21:19 PM »
We're moving towards Rube Goldberg here.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 06:52:34 PM »
@Focus Sash/Endeavor/Extremespeed(priority +2, 'member?) does it in 2 turns.  :)

[EDIT]: Unfortunately, the only way to pull that combo off is straight up hacking, or Mew. Going with Quick Attack over Extremespeed, on the other hand, is possible with a rattata. A poor-natured no-EV'd IronBall-holding Rattata could probably pull the combo off easily enough.
Extremespeed is +1 as of D/P.  Anyway.

That ability Caelic is talking about, thats on the Shadow Assassin?  I thought that was a different PP.

Commx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 06:53:07 PM »
Hmm, I suppose that would work, although it would be amusing.

First the Wizard uses Blood Pulse and burns an Action Point to push him off the cliff with a spell of choice. Orcus laughs and stays afloat because of his wings. Then, another character (or the Wizard again if we can get more actions) causes a Stun effect and invokes physics cartoon-style. (With Orcus suddenly realising he can't stay afloat before plummeting to his death and becoming a fine red mist in the progress.)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 11:57:37 PM »
Doesn't the Wizard have a push + stun ability somewhere down the line?  I know such a power exists, but I don't remember where.

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2008, 02:57:58 AM »
Doesn't the Wizard have a push + stun ability somewhere down the line?  I know such a power exists, but I don't remember where.

Elemental Maw.  Which, upon reflection, is RIDICULOUS with Blood Mage.

munin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • MemEng
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2008, 03:55:20 AM »

Elemental Maw.  Which, upon reflection, is RIDICULOUS with Blood Mage.

That one is teleport, pull, prone, and dazed, so not quite what we want--dazed can still take a move action.

However, "Ice Tomb" gives a one-round stunned effect, which may be suitable for the Wile E Coyote manoeuvre described above.

Alternatively, this could be done by a team (though I realize that the whole point of this exercise is to do this with one character):  have the wizard inflict blood pulse; have a martial type or paladin stun with one of the numerous melee-weapon attacks that provide stunning status; have a ranger use Great Ram Arrow or similar to knock him over the edge.

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 05:14:50 AM »
Blood Pulse + falling (and thus tons of squares being left) is hilarious.

Wait a minute, thought coming. Blood Pulse specifies that those affected by it take 1d6 damage for each square it leaves. Does that mean that creatures that take up multiple squares take even more damage when they move?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 05:59:12 AM »
Blood Pulse + falling (and thus tons of squares being left) is hilarious.

Wait a minute, thought coming. Blood Pulse specifies that those affected by it take 1d6 damage for each square it leaves. Does that mean that creatures that take up multiple squares take even more damage when they move?
...Blood Mage is so going to get errata'd.

Commx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 06:00:25 AM »
@PP: I'd say yes. For each step a large creature moves, there are two squares which no longer contain a monster but previously did (three if it moves diagonally). I'd say those squares are quite certainly 'left' by the monster in question. But that gives us a small problem, how do we do this when the creature moves vertically?