Author Topic: Making a dragoon with fewer classes  (Read 3515 times)

xeno121

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Making a dragoon with fewer classes
« on: December 03, 2009, 05:33:42 AM »
I want to play a dragoon without multiclassing through 5+ classes.  I liked Tempest Stormwinds version, but I dislike skirmish(doesn't work on a lot of enemies), it lacks pounce, and it takes Blade Dancer really late.  Is there any way to make the build come into it's own earlier?

stats rolled:
17, 15, 14, 13, 13, 12

I'm going to try and get Blade Dancer, I could get Nezumi, since we're playing with a Minotaur PC from Savage Species.  Books are Faerun+Core+Savage Species. +OA(edit), anything else needs to be approved.

I'm thinking I want to run for the x5 movement, I can jump, and if I fall on an enemy it activates the charge giving me ridiculous range for my strikes and I wanted to figure out a way to pounce without taking a bunch of classes.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:41:47 AM by xeno121 »
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
Re: Making a dragoon with fewer classes
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:20:06 AM »
Dragonborn(Wings) Water Orc or maybe Raptoran to replace Psywar and Up the Walls

Just plain old Warblade with Tiger Claw focus can give a bit of the jumpy feel, albeit without too much of a damage boost.

Pouncing will be hard without Lion Totem.

What's your limit on numbers of classes?

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 07:31:09 AM »
PsyWar/Warblade probably is your best bet, maybe with one dip in Barbarian.

xeno121

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:02:41 AM »
At least 3, maybe 4, I'm going to get a definite number today.
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 11:05:02 AM »
I'm going to try and get Blade Dancer, I could get Nezumi, since we're playing with a Minotaur PC from Savage Species.  Books are Faerun+Core+Savage Species.
I assume you forgot to mention Oriental Adventures.  Otherwise, this would be a little difficult.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

xeno121

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:41:14 AM »
I'm going to try and get Blade Dancer, I could get Nezumi, since we're playing with a Minotaur PC from Savage Species.  Books are Faerun+Core+Savage Species.
I assume you forgot to mention Oriental Adventures.  Otherwise, this would be a little difficult.

Yeah, Nezumi's form OA that's also available

ShneekeyTheLost

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 04:33:30 PM »
Hood.

Battle Jump is almost essential.  How you accomplish your massive speed, damage, and reach are up to you.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

xeno121

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »
Besides Dragonborn is there a way to negate the falling damage easily.  I'm liking the free human bonus feat,  but you lose that with dragonborn.

ShneekeyTheLost

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »
Besides Dragonborn is there a way to negate the falling damage easily.  I'm liking the free human bonus feat,  but you lose that with dragonborn.
Ring of Feather Falling. However, that may cause problems as it reduces the distance you can fall in a round.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

xeno121

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 08:01:11 PM »
Ring of Feather Falling. However, that may cause problems as it reduces the distance you can fall in a round.
Would I ever jump from higher than 60 feet above an enemy?

EDIT:

Feat Selection:

Feats:
lv1 Scout: Battle Jump(UE pg42), Power Attack
lv2 PsyWar Dodge
lv3 PsyWar:Run, Up The Walls
lv4 Scout:
lv5 Scout
lv6 Scout: Leap Attack  , Mobility (Scout Bonus)
lv7 Scout
lv8 Scout
lv9 Scout: Imp Bullrush
lv10 Scout: Spring Attack (Scout Bonus)
lv11 Blade Dancer:
lv12 Blade Dancer: Shocktrooper
lv15  Speed of Thought
lv18  *free
15-20 Blade Dancer

I'm thinking for the last 3, perhaps Leap of Heavens?  Maybe Robilar's Gambit for after the Jump?  Any ideas?

I could go Nezumi Dragonborn and delay speed of thought,  should I have more Scout levels, or more Blade Dancer levels?  Any would enchanted Blade work on a spear(could I get DM to go for it more like)

EDIT: Totally forgot leap attack
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:51:53 PM by xeno121 »

ShneekeyTheLost

xeno121

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 10:53:13 PM »
Should I take run or speed of thought?

Also, if I'm in a corridor say, 10 feet wide 60 feet long, could I run while using up the walls and jump from wall to wall diagonally? 

ShneekeyTheLost

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 09:59:10 AM »
Can't you boost tumble to reduce falling damage? A ring of feather-fall is sub-optimal, because it negates any opportunity for Battle Jump to trigger.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 12:40:26 PM »
Can't you boost tumble to reduce falling damage? A ring of feather-fall is sub-optimal, because it negates any opportunity for Battle Jump to trigger.
You might as well.  You have the +2 synergy bonus from your Jump ranks and you'll want ranks in Tumble anyway (prerequisite for Balde Dancer and another +2 to Jump)  A Blade Dancer 10 has a minimum of +44 Tumble, and that's assuming a Dex mod of 0, minimum ranks in all skills, etc.  Very likely that by 20th level you'll easily have +60 tumble, and most likely far more.  That's enough to garuntee the negation of 40 feet of falling damage.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

xeno121

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 01:10:28 PM »

I fall 60 ft/rnd why wouldn't battle jump activate?  I just have to jump from 5 ft above them the rate of descent is never a requirement, and it says you have to hurl yourself at your opponent but feather fall is not listed while fly and levitate are. "specifically" singled out as "a fly or levitate spell or effect".  Featherfall is neither, you can argue that it's similar, but it's still different.

I have a 38 tumble with boots of continuous expeditious retreat, so I can knock off 30 feet somewhat regularly.  Epic Tumble rules.

ShneekeyTheLost

zavule

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 07:39:03 PM »
What level are you starting at?  Applying the feral template to raptoran could be really really funny.
DM: The iron door is enchanted with a powerful anti-magic barrier.
Zavy: The door itself?
DM: Yes.
Zavy: I get acid flasks and a pry bar.  I just found myself a new tower shield.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 08:12:19 PM »
Pity you can't get Pounce with Feral unless you take monster hit dice.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 08:13:41 PM »
Pity you can't get Pounce with Feral unless you take monster hit dice.
Just take a Barbarian dip instead :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

xeno121

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 08:17:02 PM »
lv9 I'm sticking with human.

And Feather Fall states "Feather fall works only upon free-falling objects. It does not affect a sword blow or a charging or flying creature."

It won't activate until after my Charge is over and I fall more than 5 ft.  So by RAW it should work, I charge, leap, drop, attack, charge finishes, feather fall activates negating fall damage.  As long as there's 5 ft between the charge ending and me hitting the ground it should negate the damage.

I'm also restricted to 3 classes for simplicity's sake.  I've got scout, psywar, and Blade Dancer from Tempest Stormwind's build.

I Those boots of continuous expeditious retreat I bought are a little cheesy though, 30ft boost for 8000gp, damn.

Another interesting this, Scout increases base speed, so I get the 40ft table for Blade Dancer.  My next step is Shocktrooper.

ShneekeyTheLost

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 08:58:48 PM »
Personally, I'd replace Scout with a Barbarian dip. I don't really see the point of it.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 12:21:47 AM »
Remember that the Scout speed bonus is an enhancement bonus, so it doesn't stack with Expeditious Retreat or Haste.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]