Author Topic: Psychic Warrior - Suggestions wanted!  (Read 5075 times)

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Re: Psychic Warrior - Suggestions wanted!
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 12:33:06 PM »
Synchronicity? :sofa

My best suggestion would be to actually make a Psion with Slayer levels. Powers don't suck as much then.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Hound

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 01:12:01 PM »
it seems to me that Psion/slayer would be great later in the game, but would be hard to be the front tank early game...  and we may be starting over at level 1.

Thanks Phaed, I was thinking of bumping the DWA's to 2d6 (crappy use of a feat) but then when I expand, I get real bumps in weapon damage for each size increase and metamorphosis, etc.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 01:27:47 PM »
I'm not allowed to use that book, I pinged my DM and he laughed at me.  :/
Hyperconscious is one of the few third-party books which people here generally have no problem allowing. Just about anything else is auto-banned. Someone could explain the history there better than me...

Three words : Elven High Magic.  The Quintessential Elf is my anti-knee jerk weapon, as after they see that, everything else looks tame by comparison and I can usually get it in :P

To the OP : if you know you'll be going all or mostly Psy Warrior, the Soulbound weapon ACF as suggested above is an awesome idea.  If you don't, you might consider Psion or Wilder (or my fav, Erudite) base, and then go into Slayer.  Not only are you a nice roadblock, but you'll end up with full manifesting -1 level, and be immune to the BBEG's spellcaster going "Kill them" with a mental command spell :)
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Hound

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 03:36:09 PM »
To be honest, my plan at this point (and after finding Slayer on the SRD rather than Illithid Slayer from the book) is to go Psi-War a while and then PRC into Slayer...  potentially.  I'm still trying to get a fix on whether Slayer PrC is better than the extra handful of feats.

Hound

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 03:38:58 PM »
actually, to be honest, since i just re-reviewed it, I think I'd rather stay PW throughout...  Slayer doesn't make a lot of sense in the campaign we're running.

I do have a question to the more informed out there though...  Catapsi?  if my DM is running magic = psionics = magic transparency, how does Catapsi effect mages?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 05:14:25 PM »
actually, to be honest, since i just re-reviewed it, I think I'd rather stay PW throughout...  Slayer doesn't make a lot of sense in the campaign we're running.

I do have a question to the more informed out there though...  Catapsi?  if my DM is running magic = psionics = magic transparency, how does Catapsi effect mages?
I would think it would make the top two levels of spells unavailable for the caster while it's in the effect unless the caster is 19th level, in which case only 9th level spells would be unavailable.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Hound

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 05:36:07 PM »
I would think it would make the top two levels of spells unavailable for the caster while it's in the effect unless the caster is 19th level, in which case only 9th level spells would be unavailable.

That's disgustingly wonderful...  I need to chat with my GM and check his transparency ideas.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 05:57:45 PM »
full transparency with logical translations like that is definitely the way to go. I've been in games where the DM decided they were different, they quickly changed their mind after i picked powers that had no save and only allowed PR not SR  :bigeye
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Hound

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
Latest question!  With the Soulbound weapon ACF, can I call weapons of specific materials?  the power says mundane materials, only.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 12:01:52 AM »
It says 'ordinary materials'. I'd imagine that this means normal steel and wood (and leather, for whips), rather than adamantine or riverine.

However, you can add the metaline enhancement on your weapon, if you want. ^_^d It's +2, I think.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 03:03:30 AM »
It says 'ordinary materials'. I'd imagine that this means normal steel and wood (and leather, for whips), rather than adamantine or riverine.

However, you can add the metaline enhancement on your weapon, if you want. ^_^d It's +2, I think.

There's also the transmuting enhancement, which after the first hit, adjust your weapon to count as the materiel needed to bypass DR on the creature you hit.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 05:09:43 PM »
Ardent 16 / PsyWar 2 / Erudite 1 / ToB class 1 , and Practiced Manifester feat
gets enough higher powers going to account for the various lost feat slots, from not being a fuller PsyWar build.

Hound

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 05:51:37 PM »
Thanks Golem, but that build kind of gets away from being a psywar and veers from the not dipping that i don't want to do. :/  I might dip a level or 2 somewhere, but I don't want to do it more than once...  and I have to be honest, i haven't spent a lot of time looking at the ardent class as yet

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2009, 05:05:48 PM »
Ah well ... here's the last big PsyWar thread with dust-ups
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2926.0

Plenty of ideas there.
PsyWar 11 / UrPriest 2 / Psychic Theurge 7
gets you an early PsyWar build, that veers into a full caster.

Here's the Mind's Eye update for the PsyWar including Mantles and Soulbound weapon.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2009, 07:19:42 PM »
I've seen a build which used Deep Impact and Power Attack for good damage. A psiwar can also get a Psicrystal, which can be used to get another psionic focus.