Author Topic: WotC Dragonlance Optimization material  (Read 3882 times)

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
WotC Dragonlance Optimization material
« on: December 01, 2009, 05:04:11 AM »
I was thinking that there is some really good stuff for optimization in the Dragonlance books, but often it is rarely used.  So that it got more visibility, I'm starting a thread to highlight it.

Here is a starting list - please feel free to add additional items!

Source - Towers of High Sorcery (Dragonlance)
  • Arcane Staff - Greater {spell} - store CL+Ability modifier in spell Levels of spells 6th level and lower.  With some CL level optimization, this is a lot of bonus spells.
  • Transfer Essense {spell} - borrow up to 1/2 Wizard Levels in CLs from another caster - great for buffs

Source - Dragonlance - Age of Mortals
  • Kender Nightsalker {Prestige Class} - gives 2 ghost cohorts with max Class Level = your HD - 3.  +2 Undead hitdie at 10th.  Separate caster progression, giving 4th level spells in 10 levels.
  • Legion Sorcerer {Prestige Class} - gives Int vs. SR, Int vs. spell saves, share divinations.  5 level, full CL progression, must lose 1 CL to enter.
  • War Mage {Prestige Class} - 5 level, full progression, gives 2 free metamagic, armored casting, Cha to a few allies AC, +3 damage per HD to spells

Source - Bestiary of Kyrnn
  • Ambiant Tempest {Prestige Class} - 4/5 CL progression.  Spontanoues caster can change 1 spell known per week, gains a -1 Level metamagic, can gain 2-3 bonus metamagic feats.

Legend of the Twins
  • Academic Priest {feat} - bonus divine spells and max spell level determined by Int.  (1st level only)
  • Dynamic Preist {feat} - bonus divine spells and max spell level determined by Cha.  (1st level only)

Dragonlance Campaign Setting
  • Reserves of Strength {feat} - +1 - +3 CL in exchange for 1-3 rounds of stun or damage if you are immune to stun.  Explicitly allows you to break CL related caps listed in spells.  Depending on interpretation, break them completely, or by +3
  • White Dragonspawn {template} - gives 1 sorcerer CL.  +1 LA. From The_Mad_Linguist: The dragonspawn templates have about four or five different versions/erratas/revisions/updates.  I believe the LA+1 one is the only one published by WotC, however.
  • Divine Retribution {spell} - blocks all damage of a given type (possibly force!) and redirects it back as sacred/profane damage. Handy if Complete Champion (which printed a different spell of the same name) is not in play
  • Disjoin {spell} - dispels one spell effect in range without requiring a dispel check. Costs 200 XP.

This is basically from a few cursory reads ... feel free to chip in!

Best
David
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 02:49:39 PM by DavidWL »
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: WotC Dragonlance Optimization material
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 05:32:00 AM »
Reserves of strength and White Dragonspawn see a lot of high Theoretical  use.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 05:52:00 AM »
I think you've got Dynamic and Academic backwards...Dynamic = Cha, Academic = Int, right?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 06:13:32 AM »
Thanks both - post updated.

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 06:20:16 AM »
The dragonspawn templates have about four or five different versions/erratas/revisions/updates.  I believe the LA+1 one is the only one published by WotC, however.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »
DLCS:
  • Divine Retribution {spell} - blocks all damage of a given type (possibly force!) and redirects it back as sacred/profane damage. Handy if Complete Champion (which printed a different spell of the same name) is not in play.
  • Disjoin {spell} - dispels one spell effect in range without requiring a dispel check. Costs 200 XP.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 03:33:59 PM »
War Mage!? I came as soon as I heard.

Code: [Select]
Changling Wizard 5 / Stormcaster 5 / War Mage 5 / Recaster 5
Feats:
Flaw - Snowcasting
Flaw - Frozen Magic
1st - Cold Spell Specialization
3rd - Energy Substitution
Bonus - Born Of The Three Thunders
6th - Combat Casting
9th - Reserves of Strength
12th - Knowledge Devotion
Bonus - Empower Spell
Bonus - Maximize Spell
15th - Residual Magic
Bonus - Eschew Materials
18th - Quicken Spell
Build Notes
5/day silent or still spell for free.
5/day empower or maximize for free.
3/day quicken for free.
Expanded Knowledge(cold snap) & Expanded Knowledge(greater arcane fusion).
Uses Control Temperature & Cold Snap to make is f'ing cold outside.
Caster Level: 26 = 18 (base) + 2 (with ele spells) + 2 (if it's cold) + 3 (RoS) + 1 (ioun stone)
Bonus Damage: +2/die (cold spell s.) + 1/die (cold snap) + 3/die (war mage) + 1/die (stormcaster, sonic based) + 5 (knowledge).
Intelligence: 36(+13) = 18 (base) + 5 (level) + 5 (inherent) +6 (enchantment) + 2 (age)
Example Spells:
Fireball: 13d6+83 electricity/sonic plus 13 sonic damage, stuns (dc fort 26 negs).
Maw of Chaos: 26d6+156 electricity/sonic plus 26 sonic damage and stuns (dc fort 32 negs)
Greater Arcane Fusion(maximized orb of X, orb of X): 239 plus stun & 18d6+108 electricity/sonic plus 18 sonic damage and stuns (dc fort 27 negs).

Just think, a spell surged sorcerer could deal even more using double cast GAF wings of furry & wings of furry and abuse easy/practical metamagic on energy admixture.

Dragonlance is great.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:41:29 PM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 04:49:42 PM »
Source - Towers of High Sorcery (Dragonlance)
  • Arcane Staff - Greater {spell} - store CL+Ability modifier in spell Levels of spells 6th level and lower.  With some CL level optimization, this is a lot of bonus spells.

This is basically from a few cursory reads ... feel free to chip in!

Best
David

i read that and thought SCM compulsively.  and the 110 cl build kell posted.[/list]
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.