Author Topic: Reach?  (Read 2835 times)

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
Reach?
« on: November 29, 2009, 12:54:58 PM »
Ways to increase reach?

I know the record is 130ft (on your turn) but I can't find it online... got eaten by 339...

I found a way to get something like 35 reach I think with a medium creature (and no incarnum)... wondering how to get more (without going colossal), you guys know?

Medium
Deformity, tall (feat)
Aberrant reach (feat)
Extend reach (feat)
Extend tentacles (spell)
Raking tentacles (graft)
Warshaper (class)

What do u guys know that I could add?

D-End

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Reach?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 01:16:43 PM »
Giant Size to become colossal?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 01:32:15 PM »
Does deformity tall still work?

Also...

I want the character to be medium/large at most...

D-End

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 01:37:19 PM »
Does deformity tall still work?

Also...

I want the character to be medium/large at most...

D-End

With a reach weapon that 35 becomes a 70. Becoming large seemingly only changes that to 40/80.

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 01:40:29 PM »
Deformity tall makes it count as large, does it stack with large?

Also the tentacle is a graft, can I graft like a spiked chain on that?

And do grafts violate VOP

D-End

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 03:14:45 PM »
Grafts violate VoP, since they count toward your WBL.

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 03:16:12 PM »
Epic poo...

I see...

Anything else would work? can you graft on a graft?

Cause if not you can't use raking tentacle and spiked chain for huge reach but if you can, just put raking tentacle on raking tentacle on raking tentacle for ALOT of reach...

D-End

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 03:45:19 PM »
I have yet a few more in my "lists of stuff"...
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

wackodraco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 03:57:29 PM »
Umbral Disciple PRC, Magic of Incarnum, p. 158.
Increases reach (during your turn only) by 5' per point of essentia invested in the ability (up to normal maximum).
Also useful cause the ability lets you act as though you are adjacent to any opponent within your reach- so on your turn, you can flank EVERYONE.
If you add sneak attack (which the same PRC provides).... yeah.
"Go. Hunt. Kill illithids."

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 04:11:03 PM »
Increases reach (during your turn only) by 5' per point of essentia invested in the ability (up to normal maximum).
Also useful cause the ability lets you act as though you are adjacent to any opponent within your reach- so on your turn, you can flank EVERYONE.
Got news for you: so long as you threaten, you can flank.  It's in the PHB Chapter 8.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
Lunging Strike feat (PHBII). It sucks, but if you really need that extra 5 feet (It's only 5 feat, which is why it sucks) and if you can make it count, there it is. It really is awful though, full round action for 1 attack with +5 reach. What a miserable feat, but a fantastic justification for houserules.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 08:11:50 PM »
Anyway we might combine this with the Incandescent Champion? And Incarnum Apotheosis/Psycarnum Infusion? And a crazy Charisma score? One of the Incandescent Champion's abilities (Incarnum Overload) allows you to add your Charisma bonus to the essentia capacity of an incarnum receptacle. It only lasts for one round, but that's long enough for some other effect to actually fill that capacity.

So it's only for one round, but we can comfortably beat the current record.

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 10:33:11 PM »
So...

Magic-Blooded Azurin Human Paragon 3/Incarnate 3/Umbral Disciple 10/Incandescent Champion 4. Your relevant feats are Open Greater Chakra (Waist), Aberrant Blood, Wild Talent, Psycarnum Infusion, and Inhuman Reach. (For now.) Your relevant equipment includes a Tome of Leadership and Influence +5, a UMD-boosting item (+20, say), and a Minor Schema of Extended Power Leech (CL 20). Finally, your relevant skills include Use Magic Device and whatever paltry stuff is necessary for UD and IC.

So you'd shape your Strongheart Vest (ML 3, who cares), binding it to your waist. With one point of essentia invested, this gives you ability drain resistance 2. Now use the Minor Schema on...yourself. So you "take" 40 rounds worth of ability drain and transfer them over to yourself. Note that you don't even need to be nongood to use this; it's only sanctified spells that have the analogous restriction.

[spoiler]If you're leery of that, given the ambiguous language, try this instead: Buy a Shield Guardian. Gate in an Elder Brain using a Candle of Invocation. Use some scrolls to perform DCFS on it thrice, to grant it True Mind Switch, Psionic Restoration, and Metamorphosis as bonus powers. Polymorph the Shield Guardian into something that's not a construct; it loses its construct traits which grant it immunity to mind-affecting stuff. Order the Elder Brain to True Mind Switch (give it a Power Stone) with the Shield Guardian. Now you have the Elder Brain on a leash, yay! (Do what you will with the shell of a body that's remaining; try Imprisonment for safety.)

So when you wish to gain lots of reach...you can order the Elder Brain/Shield Guardian (EBSG) to Metamorphosis into something that's (again) not a construct. Tag it with Extended Power Leech; it can simply heal the ability drain with Psionic Restoration.[/spoiler]

Charisma: 20 base + 2 Paragon + 5 Levels + 5 Inherent + 40 Enhancement = 72 (+31). Which gives you a modified essentia capacity of 35 when using Incarnum Overload.

Reach: 5' base + 5' IR + 175' Kiss of the Shadows = 185'.

I'm sure that we can improve upon that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 03:34:28 PM by NeverGetDrunkButStaySober »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 03:23:53 PM »
Needs turn undead and that Soultouch thingy... or whatever feat, that fills one receptacle with a turn attempt. Or else you won't ever have enough Essentia.

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 03:33:18 PM »
No, just some stuff that I forgot to include despite having mentioned above. Duly edited.

wackodraco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 07:22:42 PM »
I'm sure that we can improve upon that.
Well, if you can boost your HD, you can put more essentia into Kiss of the Shadows and increase your charisma to account for it. This trick was used by Pun-Pun to threaten EVERYTHING EVER.
However, in terms of practical optimization, your build is pretty great.
"Go. Hunt. Kill illithids."

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 08:52:49 PM »
No, just some stuff that I forgot to include despite having mentioned above. Duly edited.
Oh, right, I meant Psycarnum Infusion, not Divine Soultouch, or what it's called. I just mixed them up.