Author Topic: Pathfinder Gestalt Tank  (Read 6291 times)

SevenHours

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Pathfinder Gestalt Tank
« on: November 27, 2009, 08:42:28 AM »
My GM has decided he wishes to run a gestalt, Pathfinder exlcusive game, without any of the WotC 3.5 material. Don't ask me why, I'm not thrilled either. Anyway I showed up late and found out it was a gestalt game, so I'm hastily trying to cobble together some sort of melee sponge/damage dealer as that's what this typical 4 man group is lacking.

I was thinking along the lines of Barbarian on one side with the rage powers that allow bonuses to combat manuevers like Trip and Grapple to perhaps provide some slight battlefield control, but on the other side all I had was the uninspired choice of Bard/Dragon Disciple.

Paladin also seems like it's where it's at in Pathfinder, but I'm not really sure what to do with it as Pathfinders revamps are new to me.

Does anyone have any ideas or pointers? This situation has sort of thrown me. :P

Kevin.

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Pathfinder Gestalt Tank
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 06:45:37 PM »
When it comes to Gesault, I'm going to be no help - but what I can tell you is that when it comes to Pathfinder - the Paladin is the shit.

His smite evil lasts the entire combat.  The entire combat.  His lay on hands is also vamped up to remove various status conditions right up to stun and daze.

So that should be one of your choices for sure.
If at first you don't succeed - maybe failure is your style.

Braithwaite

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 12:48:23 PM »
Most of the time in Gestalt you want a full casting class for versatility, even for melees.

Paladin//Sorcerer is very good in PF.
Druid//Monk is solid in gestalt. (Monk in general is good in gestalt. It has lots of passive bonuses that help your other class.)
Wizard//Ranger is great, but for melee you might settle for the less good Wizard/Fighter.
Barbarian//Bard/Drgn Shaman isn't bad in PF. I just hate to see any gestalt without full casting/initiating. I would at least consider Barbarian/DrgnShaman//Bard or Sorcerer.

Are you starting at first level? What kind of stat generation?

SevenHours

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 04:12:07 PM »
We're starting at 4th level, but unfortunately stat generation is looking to be 3d6, drop the lowest, then add 6.

I had toyed with full casting, but tbh I was so used to Cleric with Divine Metamagic that again, this whole undertaking has blindsided me. I've only had a chance to look at the Dragon Disciple and the base classes, but are any other of the scant few PF PRCs worth it?

Braithwaite

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 06:49:36 PM »
Not really worth it as far as tanking goes. Loremaster is still good. Shadowdancer can be good. Chronicler could be worth it if your DM supports your class abilities.

Starting at 4th level, you will already be rocking 2nd level spells.

If you get REALLY good stat rolls, I would look at druid//monk. Otherwise, PF gives a lot of love to the Paladin//Sorcerer. Consider a spell list including Light, True Strike, Feather Fall, Blindness. At 5th level, take Blur (or False life, if you go for Destined bloodline). This way, you are just a paladin, in normal heavy armor, who can cast save or sucks or true strikes (none of those spells have somatic components). At some point in the future, maybe level 6-8, you take off the armor and you instantly transform into a full sorcerer with good HP, BAB and saves.