Author Topic: Starting an ARG  (Read 2612 times)

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
Starting an ARG
« on: June 10, 2008, 04:23:05 AM »
Would any one be willing to help Co-Create a PbP ARG here with me?
Would any one be interested?
If you would like to help me PM me.
If you would just like to play Post interest here.

This will not be taking off until I have
fully completed the core rules.
This could be any where between
2 weeks-2months depending on
how much help i get.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Starting an ARG
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:56:21 AM »

Whats an ARG? A particular gaming system?
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:40:51 AM »
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »
Wouldn't you need to set up some fake websites, paying for the domain names? :eh

You might also have to bury some things or make some phone calls.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 02:53:10 PM »
I thought it meant Arena Game. Oh well.
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 07:42:08 PM »

If Me is right, I'd be up for the first one.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 08:53:08 AM »
I meant ARG like the Gleemax open RPG.
If any one is still interested let me know.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 08:36:45 PM »

Interested if confused - but thats what I tell all girls  ;)

Maybe a link that'd give the ignorant more data?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »
I meant ARG like the Gleemax open RPG.
If any one is still interested let me know.
Gleemax did their ARG as well as they did their message board.

You should do some research:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AlternateRealityGameTropes
(I added the Gleemax entries - no-one else seemed to have heard of it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 09:46:44 PM »
Please, please, please don't make it like the Gleemax one. Of course, that open free-form (basically) format is fine (unless they have since made it much less free-form; I wouldn't know, having become fed up with it in December), but if it is anything like how that turned out, there's no way I'm down.

Seriously, that had major issues (mostly caused by a few people - some just repeat god-mode offenders, others thought they themselves could simply assume complete control of the role-play by making absurd rules and inflating the game's "economy" with free money to people they liked).

I was with that when it started back in May of last year up until December (as a "Gleemaxian Council Member," a co-maintainer of the Gleemax Wiki before ZsasZ shut it down, and the Flame Wars organizer for a time (shortly before I left because I couldn't take the fact that everyone who agreed that there were major problems was pussy-footing around them rather than confronting them, making it impossible to actually change anything that needed changing), and then co-admin for ZsasZ's forum for the few weeks it existed before he shut that down as well...

Anyway, if you need help, I'll help, but you definitely want to avoid a lot of what happened with the Gleemax Role-Play.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 10:24:08 PM »
of course i would not make it like gleemax, I just needed an example of a free form.
Also, as far as im concerned 3 strike god mod rule, do it 3 times and your char dies,
make a new one from level 1. Also, i would love your help, im not 100% on how i want it to work.