Author Topic: Need help with Swordsage/Warblade Jump build.  (Read 2941 times)

Rufio

• Monkey bussiness
Need help with Swordsage/Warblade Jump build.
« on: November 23, 2009, 09:34:59 AM »
I want to play a martial adept class that focuses on TWF and jumping using the battle jump feat. So I was thinking of using Shadow Hand (mainly for Shadow Blade) and Tiger Claw as the main disciplines. I don't have much experience with ToB so what maneuvers should I get?

I start on level 3 and my DM said I can't use flaws, I'm considering being Human instead of Xeph for the extra feat. Maybe I should just take a couple Fighter levels? I think one of my levels has to be Barbarian though for Lion Totem.

I don't really know of any prestige classes I should look at going into besides the Bloodclaw Master, any others I should peek at?

I have the following stats: 13, 16, 14, 13, 16, 18.

Thanks to everyone who helps me!  :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:39:19 AM by Rufio »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Need help with Swordsage/Warblade Jump build.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:13:42 AM »
If your DM allows it, forget Human and Xeph.  You want Thri-kreen (non-psionic).

Seriously, that +30 racial bonus to jump checks means more than anything else with that focus.  It's worth way more than a feat.  Focus on EITHER Swordsage or Warblade so you still get 9th level manuvers.  I prefer Warblade because it gives faster access to more attacks via Multi-weapon Fighting and easier recovery.  Shadow Blade is really not as helpful for this character as you would lose out on more attacks for a bit more damage on those you do have.  You start with no class levels in either, but at this point, Battle Jump does what you need.  Your first class level should be Lion Totem Barbarian and everything after that should be Warblade/Swordsage.  Remember: one OR the other, not both.  Unike most characters, a thri-kreen can make some serious use of Pounce before his BAB reaches +6

Blood in the Water is great for using the (keen) kurkris to rack up the bonuses.  Grab the manuvers that require a jump check without fear.  You WILL make them.  A standard thri-kreen could auto-activate them on any foe with an AC of 36 or less, and I can pretty well garuntee you won't be "standard".
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 11:57:17 PM »
I'd consider Improved Critical (Kukri) so you don't have to buy so many magic weapons.

Rufio

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 03:30:13 AM »
My DM won't let me be a Thri-keen.

I think I have a good start on what I want to play, but I've only planned up to level 8 because I haven't ever played a high level character. Someone in our group has a schedule problem and we never get around it or someone quits out of boredom. I would like to use Five Shadow Creeping Enervation Strike and Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip as higher level maneuvers. I also want to take a couple of levels of Warblade for Iron Heart Surge. Here is what I have so far:

1 Lion Totem Barbarian - Battle Jump, Pounce, Rage 1/day
2 Fighter - TWF
3 Swordsage - Shadow Blade, Quick to Act +1, Weapon Focus (Shadow Hand)
4 Swordsage - AC Bonus
5 Swordsage -
6 Swordsage - Adaptive Style, Insightful Strike (Tiger Claw)
7 Bloodclaw Master - Shift 1/day, Claws of the Beast
8 Bloodclaw Master - Superior TWF, Tiger Claw Synergy

Maneuvers
3 - Child of Shadow, Burning Blade, Counter Charge, Clinging Shadow Strike,
Shadow Blade Technique, Sudden Leap, Wolf Fang Strike
4 - Island of Blades, Claw at the Moon
5 - Cloak of Deception
6 - Feigned Opening, Shadow Blade Technique->Death Mark
7 - Soaring Raptor Strike
8 -

I still want Weapon Finesse and Leap of the Heavens as feats, if I was Human I could get one of them. If I am Xeph, I can get a +4 Jump bonus with the speed boost, is this better or worse than one of the feats though?

Do all of the Tiger Claw maneuvers that require a jump check trigger Battle Jump?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 11:19:17 AM »
RAW, you need seperate jump checks, but if you're focusing on this aspect, you shouldn't have a problem making them.  Sucks that your DM won't allow thri-kreen, though.  Raptoran works too with a +10 racial bonus to Jump (no racial HD or LA).  The Xeph speed increase will indeed give you a bonus on Jump when it's active.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 03:44:55 PM »
  Raptoran works too with a +10 racial bonus to Jump (no racial HD or LA). 

Dragonborn template with wings gives the same I think.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 06:37:50 PM »
RAW, you need seperate jump checks, but if you're focusing on this aspect, you shouldn't have a problem making them.  Sucks that your DM won't allow thri-kreen, though.  Raptoran works too with a +10 racial bonus to Jump (no racial HD or LA).  The Xeph speed increase will indeed give you a bonus on Jump when it's active.

One of the Abyssal Heritor feats in FC1 gives a bonus to jump checks similar to Raptorian/Dragonborn.

[spoiler][/spoiler]