Author Topic: Desperately Needing Better Will Save Bonus  (Read 3604 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Desperately Needing Better Will Save Bonus
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 11:59:36 AM »
Given past tales, I concur.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 01:57:13 PM »
What about a very fast uber charger build, but with a single wiz level for the Focused jaunter alt from UA? Surprise round super charge something, then just free action bamf away?
I've already tried going wizard. It wasn't allowed because we're too far iinto the game, and becoming one would be worthless.

I would very much like to attempt playing in your game. I like hardball. >:D
Take what GawainBS says seriously. I write him every week with what happens in the sessions. And if you're a wizard lover, especially a player who thinks he's a god when they're playing a wizard, my DM will get you off of your high horse immediately. Wizards do not last long in his campaigns. Arcane spellcasters in our group are sorcerers only. No one's dumb enough to go wizard.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 03:09:48 PM »
He's one of those DMs that laugh and giggle (as well as say "This is going to be AWESOME!") at the start of the session because he knows what's coming.

One of my friends is a similar DM it sounds.  Ends up making me defensively optimize in ways I otherwise would not.

Anyways, If everyone is mostly melee types anyways (not worried about Caster Levels) then some creative multiclassing would go a LONG way in both boosting saves and adding new abilities.

You said one has already taken level/s in Swordsage which of course gave a nice +2 on top of the juicy maneuvers.

Does the Warblade have any of the Will save boosting White Raven Stances or even the Iron Heart Aura feat for +2 saves for adjacent allies (maybe too situational).

Likely such creative multiclassing would take you from the direction you desired your characters to go but the reduction in frustration/vulnerability might be worth it.

Cheers
Placeholder - T'tosc

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 03:20:38 PM »
One of my friends is a similar DM it sounds.  Ends up making me defensively optimize in ways I otherwise would not.

Anyways, If everyone is mostly melee types anyways (not worried about Caster Levels) then some creative multiclassing would go a LONG way in both boosting saves and adding new abilities.

You said one has already taken level/s in Swordsage which of course gave a nice +2 on top of the juicy maneuvers.

Does the Warblade have any of the Will save boosting White Raven Stances or even the Iron Heart Aura feat for +2 saves for adjacent allies (maybe too situational).

Likely such creative multiclassing would take you from the direction you desired your characters to go but the reduction in frustration/vulnerability might be worth it.
My heart goes out to you if you're dealing with the same kind of DM that I am.

Yeah we've been doing this and that to save our butts. The dragon has like 12 classes in him to try and save his behind but his legacy armour doesn't help with the saves. I'm going to be taking psychic warrior, and a couple of levels of slayer for will saves, and it stacks nicely with my ranger class. I do care about my spell levels, but not terribly.

Everyone's kind of out for themselves, with the exception of everyone being willing to flank so the dragon fighter/rogue can get his sneak attack damage in. Other than that, we have three people who can cast bless, and I can count on one hand how many times each of them have done so. They're more worried about their breath weapons and doing damage, than buffing the party. The warblade has leading the attack and leading the charge, but that's about the only buffs he's got for us. Everything else just adds to his damage because of his insane jump skill (thrikeen has +30).

So in the end, not only are we being defeated by the DM, but ourselves as well.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 04:25:19 PM »
Everyone's kind of out for themselves, with the exception of everyone being willing to flank so the dragon fighter/rogue can get his sneak attack damage in. Other than that, we have three people who can cast bless, and I can count on one hand how many times each of them have done so. They're more worried about their breath weapons and doing damage, than buffing the party. The warblade has leading the attack and leading the charge, but that's about the only buffs he's got for us. Everything else just adds to his damage because of his insane jump skill (thrikeen has +30).

So in the end, not only are we being defeated by the DM, but ourselves as well.

Reminds me of a recent game where our rogue ran up between to Trolls so that he could get his Sneak Damage in while they were flatfooted.  This despite us telling him not too as we could not cover him (trolls went before us).  It was a great gut laughing moment when the Trolls turn came and they literally rended him to bits as we told him they would... but he wanted his sneak damage.

What level is the party that you are facing DC27 Will saves?
Placeholder - T'tosc

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 01:37:15 AM »
Reminds me of a recent game where our rogue ran up between to Trolls so that he could get his Sneak Damage in while they were flatfooted.  This despite us telling him not too as we could not cover him (trolls went before us).  It was a great gut laughing moment when the Trolls turn came and they literally rended him to bits as we told him they would... but he wanted his sneak damage.

What level is the party that you are facing DC27 Will saves?
Thankfully our guy's a dragon so he's got some hit points to him, and our warblade has improved init so he almost always goes first with his +8, and the imp sorcerer/fighter/eldritch knight has +9 just from Dex. Even my ranger has +6 to Dex. We very rarely go last. lol I still remember when we were first level and the dragon would go "ZERO" for initiative rolls.

We range from ECL 13-15 right now. At the time we were 12-14.