Author Topic: Toshi Umezawa  (Read 4974 times)

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Re: Toshi Umezawa
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »

1. Also, spells are 'cast' as if they were martial maneuvers. Thus, presumably, they don't provoke AoOs, which is kind of neat in melee, and you could argue they're actually (Ex) abilities. What happens to XP and expensive material components. Maneuvers don't have those, so if we get to ignore them, candy for everyone.

2. If we're willing to use stinky cheese, we could even learn spells from other schools from a Transmuter with Spell Versatility.

3. If you're into blasting, for what it's worth, Maw of Chaos is also Abjuration.
Finally, the Swordsage also has the versatility of being able to choose whether to learn a maneuver or a spell at any given level.

4. In the end, yes, the brokenness of it depends strongly on the DM. However, that's the case with pretty much any cheesy content out there. ASS doesn't even work without a DM, on the other hand, because it's spellcasting is about as poorly defined as it gets.

5. (Random immature tidbit: I know of at least two things in D&D that are abbreviated ASS. Heh.)
1. Shadow Hand, Desert Wind, and some Devoted are Su based abilities which completely rebukes any attempt to claim all maneuvers are Ex to further claim the spellcasting version is Ex based.

2. If we use stinky cheese, what the hell can't be broken? We've already got chicken throwing commoners capable of killing Orcus...

3. But that's not touch or personal and somehow I suspect it deals less than stacked Explosive Runes or Time Stop to Planeshift to recover to Contingency recast Time Stop to Planesshift to More damage spells to repeat n times, isn't as fun as Bouncing Balls of Symbol of Insanity, and requires multiple 9th level spells to pull off so the standard Socrerer is already dealing overkill with Spellsurged GAF orbs two levels before the ASS can even try.

4. In the end, all spellcasting brokenness is up to the DM. The example of Maw of Chaos inside a spammed Time Stop isn't even infinite damage which can be done at least ten levels sooner in the game without using spells (well powers :p ).

5. What is the other one?

Edit - check out this thread: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5568.5
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:31:07 PM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Toshi Umezawa
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 10:06:11 AM »
4. In the end, all spellcasting brokenness is up to the DM. The example of Maw of Chaos inside a spammed Time Stop isn't even infinite damage which can be done at least ten levels sooner in the game without using spells (well powers Tongue ).
Yes, that's sort of what I said.

5. What is the other one?
Alternate Source Spell.

Edit - check out this thread: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5568.5
I did, actually. Some interesting stuff.

[completely off-topic]Come to think of it, wouldn't Wyrm of War allow similar cheese with JPM? :plot EDIT: Not quite, as far as I can tell; just an inflated IL, no early 9th level spells.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:51:51 AM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation