Author Topic: The Archery Handbook  (Read 284041 times)

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
Re: The Archery Handbook
« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2011, 07:49:44 PM »
errata for dragon compendium changes the +14 bab requirement to +1. i don't recall if/what it changes the dex to.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Jackinthegreen

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2011, 07:58:45 PM »
Soo... Any advance in the Divine Archer section?? :B

"Oh holy crap, I think I blew my foot off."

That said, relevant Divine Archer stuff I can think of is Zen Archery and of course any Divine spells that support shooting, most of them being Ranger.  The more I look at the UA stuff for Prestige Ranger (and Paladin) the more I like it.

Nagukuk

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2011, 01:24:06 PM »
There really is no method to avoid the miss chance for Blink, because it isn't caused by interruption of your vision, it's caused by you not being on the same plane as your target when you attack.
You can still see within 60 ft of your person when you're out of phase.

So ... what about Ghost Touch ?  :)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »
There really is no method to avoid the miss chance for Blink, because it isn't caused by interruption of your vision, it's caused by you not being on the same plane as your target when you attack.

Doesn't help, because you're ethereal, not incorporeal.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Nagukuk

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2011, 05:26:43 PM »

but but, isnt a Ghost incorporeal BECAUSE it exists partially on the ethereal plane? making incorporeal=ethereal?

radionausea

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2011, 06:49:48 PM »
Shadows are incorporeal, doesn't mean they exist on the ethereal plane.  adj. Without material body.
Stronghearted halflings do not exist.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2011, 10:20:01 PM »

but but, isnt a Ghost incorporeal BECAUSE it exists partially on the ethereal plane? making incorporeal=ethereal?

A Ghost is the exception to the rule.  While the most iconic Incorporeal monster, they are also the worst representatives because they are, in fact, ethereal creatures that partially are present on the material when they manifest.  They are then treated as being on both planes simultaneously.

A Shadow, however, is just Incorporeal and only on the material plane.  This is a prime example of an Incorporeal creature by the rules. ghost Touch only helps with Incorporeal, NOT Ethereal.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2011, 10:55:20 PM »
A Ghost is the exception to the rule.  While the most iconic Incorporeal monster, they are also the worst representatives because they are, in fact, ethereal creatures that partially are present on the material when they manifest.  They are then treated as being on both planes simultaneously.

A Shadow, however, is just Incorporeal and only on the material plane.  This is a prime example of an Incorporeal creature by the rules. ghost Touch only helps with Incorporeal, NOT Ethereal.
exactly.

force damage is the only thing that helps.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2011, 11:08:50 PM »
exactly.

force damage is the only thing that helps.
Not quite.  Force effects only go from Material->Ethereal, not from Ethereal-> material.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Nagukuk

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2011, 12:29:30 AM »
Shadows are incorporeal, doesn't mean they exist on the ethereal plane.  adj. Without material body.

Agreed.

But I am talking about ethereal. If you have a weapon/armor/shield that it "ghost-touch" it will effect a ghost on the ethereal plane. If the sword can affect a ghost. Then in turn a ghost can affect a weapon/armor/shield.

If someone "blinks" / becomes ethereal they have a miss-chance for and against them. If they have a weapon that can affect things that are "blinked" why cant the weapon they have affect the other way around?

Why cant a ghost pick up a ghost touch weapon or armor or shield?

EDIT* ok I think I see the difficulty I have been having. Our friend the ghost has to manifest onto the plane. The blink does't "manifest" you it removes you to the Ethereal at random some times allowing you to not be "there" for an attack - for or against -

Sooo what we need is a Transdimensional weapon/spell.  Like a wand or spell of transdimensional flameblade.

Were talking archery here so a transdimensional moonbow or some such, a spell that creates a bow or arrow that is transdimensional ... there ...

now there is some way for you to remove the miss chance while using a blink ring instead of NO way. :)

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:49:59 AM by Nagukuk »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2011, 12:37:41 AM »
Shadows are incorporeal, doesn't mean they exist on the ethereal plane.  adj. Without material body.

Agreed.

But I am talking about ethereal. If you have a weapon/armor/shield that it "ghost-touch" it will effect a ghost on the ethereal plane. If the sword can affect a ghost. Then in turn a ghost can affect a weapon/armor/shield.

If someone "blinks" / becomes ethereal they have a miss-chance for and against them. If they have a weapon that can affect things that are "blinked" why cant the weapon they have affect the other way around?

You're getting things confused.  When Ghosts manifest, they gain the incorporeal subtype and exist on the material plane.  This is when Ghost-touch weapons can harm them and they can pick them up.  If someone is on the ethereal plane, then the Ghost is treated as a corporeal creature to them.  As such, a ghost can interact normally (as a human on the material plane) with anything on the ethereal plane. 

If the Ghost is not manifested, it cannot interact with ANYTHING on the material plane (except Force effects and Transdimensional Spells/powers).  Even Ghost Touch weapons and armor are meaningless, but the ghost can't affect anything on the material plane anyway until it manifests (in which case it's incorporeal and ghost touch items function normally).

Ghost Touch weapons are no more useful than mundane weapons against someone using a Blink spell because such people are never incorporeal, only Ethereal or Material.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:40:33 AM by snakeman830 »

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Nagukuk

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2011, 12:51:39 AM »

Agreed.

You're getting things confused.  When Ghosts manifest, they gain the incorporeal subtype and exist on the material plane.  This is when Ghost-touch weapons can harm them and they can pick them up.  If someone is on the ethereal plane, then the Ghost is treated as a corporeal creature to them.  As such, a ghost can interact normally (as a human on the material plane) with anything on the ethereal plane. 

If the Ghost is not manifested, it cannot interact with ANYTHING on the material plane (except Force effects and Transdimensional Spells/powers).  Even Ghost Touch weapons and armor are meaningless, but the ghost can't affect anything on the material plane anyway until it manifests (in which case it's incorporeal and ghost touch items function normally).

Ghost Touch weapons are no more useful than mundane weapons against someone using a Blink spell because such people are never incorporeal, only Ethereal or Material.

Thanks
Beat me to it ... see above

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #172 on: October 14, 2011, 02:59:35 PM »
side note: there is a 1st level psionic power that grants exact wind and weather knowledge for 1mile/level... easily justifying placing those long distance shots accurately.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine